If they use the gopro mount you can get a number of different mount types. Screw in or clamp depending on boom size and shape.  Make sure to tie it on. Lost 2 so far. 

59 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

the OG GoPro mounts had a really aggressive 3M self adhesive backing, depending on the boat you could slap it on the flattest side of the boom or use a rollbar mount

I've used both a handheld mount and a cycle bar mount attached to a short pole, in both cases taping them to the end of the boom with gaffer tape.

And I always tie them to the end of the boom to

• Like 1

Here's  a run through of some tips for getting useful footage, especially for those wanting to use it as a coaching tool

Cheap camera's are good for getting lots of views, and unless you're making movies, then the picture quality is plenty good enough. In terms of sharing footage, youtube massively compresses footage, so you lose most the quality anyways. 

One thing the higher end camera's are good for though, is image stabilisation. This is especially good for whenever mounting on the end of the shaky pole. But, if you have cheap camera's you an just avoid these mounts (or use post production stabilisation). 

My cheap camera is a Yi Action Lite. 1080, 60fps, go pretty rubbish stabilisation, but mos the time I mount that in places it's not required. I don't see them for sail so much now though. 

• Like 2