Diesel Engine Delete

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your goal is truly to be a "go-anywhere self-sufficient cruiser" then stick with the tried-and-true. If your goal is engineering, experimentation and repairing fussy crap in distant ports then by a

You might study up how Yves Parlier started his diesel during the Vendee Globe after the starter quit.  He rigged up a starter cord around the crankshaft, block and tackled it to the mainsheet with th

Engine output is not given at the transmission or sail drive, it's at the flywheel. However a typical marine gearbox has about 2% losses so its pretty negligible. Generator making electricity is

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

lol who is the Luddite skeptic now? 

So many W&S happy customers and actual use during VG, and electroboat sail solar unicorn is saying it doesn’t work?

Didn't say anyone was a Luddite nor did I say they didn't work.... just that they aren't making 30 amps at 5 kn boat speed with any sort of prop we can put on there. We love ours and it makes way too much power for our needs when on passage

Five knots would have probably given us 12 amps - even at such a slow speed, still probably enough for autopilot and low fridge demands - thankfully we averaged more like 150-180nm a day. So.... your MMV?

A bit more

On 7/22/2020 at 1:13 AM, toad said:

Do you realise how inexperienced you sound?

Being inexperienced is many times better than being stupid. At least I have room to improve as opposed  to spinning wheels, being ignorant to how fast life/technology  is changing as others put it so nicely. We are exchanging ideas here. There are better ways to relieve frustration.

• 8 months later...

Everybody on youtube seems to be going electric, or may be that is just that Google AI read my comments in this thread :

2.5 years since needing to buy (and of course spill) fuel, or do any diesel maintenance. Very happy. No complaints.

Once you try electric, you won't go back! The decrease in NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) is tremendous. The simplification and elimination of the biggest work items (everything related to keeping a diesel engine healthy in the marine environment) makes for far more fun and much less work and expense. The huge decrease in weight is probably impossible to get from any other weight saving regimen.

Lesson learned: don't plan on driving around like a motorboat. Instead, motorsail!

I have found that even when it seems flat calm, just a  little electric power builds apparent wind quickly. We can cruise around in very light zephyrs with close hauled trim plus a few hundred watts at decent speed, and two or three times as fast as sailing in that super light stuff.

The skeptics on this board need to try it, and they will see.

• Like 2

So here's our favorite single-handed engineless yootuuber.  He did fine getting out of Luperon, but having an electric drive system would have made things a lot easier.  This seems like the perfect application for this style of sailing. (which I enjoy)

Until you think about the increase in cost and complexity. 

28 minutes ago, Elegua said:

So here's our favorite single-handed engineless yootuuber.  He did fine getting out of Luperon, but having an electric drive system would have made things a lot easier.  This seems like the perfect application for this style of sailing. (which I enjoy)

Until you think about the increase in cost and complexity. 

WTF? That was departure trivial. Simpler than an electric drive would be a sailing lesson. And some boat prep.

1 minute ago, El Borracho said:

WTF? That was departure trivial. Simpler than an electric drive would be a sailing lesson. And some boat prep.

I think he's just very careful.  He's got a lot of miles on that boat and takes the boat into lots of tight quarters, so I think he knows how to sail it and his attention to sail trim is "typical cruiser". 

The point is I can't see a use for electric drives as they stand today outside of a use case like his. Seems like a great idea until you realize how much complexity and cost it would add to his cruising budget. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:11 PM, carcrash said:

2.5 years since needing to buy (and of course spill) fuel, or do any diesel maintenance. Very happy. No complaints.

Could you describe your setup (boat, engine, battery system, regen)?

On 4/2/2021 at 6:11 PM, carcrash said:

Once you try electric, you won't go back! The decrease in NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) is tremendous. The simplification and elimination of the biggest work items (everything related to keeping a diesel engine healthy in the marine environment) makes for far more fun and much less work and expense. The huge decrease in weight is probably impossible to get from any other weight saving regimen.

Lesson learned: don't plan on driving around like a motorboat. Instead, motorsail!

I have found that even when it seems flat calm, just a  little electric power builds apparent wind quickly. We can cruise around in very light zephyrs with close hauled trim plus a few hundred watts at decent speed, and two or three times as fast as sailing in that super light stuff.

The skeptics on this board need to try it, and they will see.

How do you handle long range motoring?

JJ

On 4/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, Panoramix said:

Everybody on youtube seems to be going electric, or may be that is just that Google AI read my comments in this thread :

I think for a day sailor returning to a powered dock each night and somebody passage making without a schedule wanting a little motoring time to get into or out of a bay it would work well. For me who can motor the ICW for a day to get back to the dock so I can go to work in the morning I don't see it has a valid option. I would be running a gen-set too often for it to make sense. (I currently don't have a gen-set) Also I have read many posts on here about not running the ICE at full throttle. In my case if the ICE is running it is at about 3/4 throttle. For battery to make sense for me I need 150 NM range and light weight. I currently remove the fuel before a race and I only have one 100AH Li on board because of weight.

JJ