Hello members of this forum,

I own a 1997 JY15 which has begun to suffer from the infamous cracking issues that have rendered them rather unpopular among sailors. My cracks are developing inside the gunnel and are causing the outer thermo-plastic layer to begin to warp outward creating a gap between the hull and the foam core. The Plexus repair kit seems pretty straightforward but I was wondering, will the repair hold up? Or should I just part it out (the rest of the boat is in very good shape) and buy a Vanguard 15 or Laser II?

IMG_20200710_130251.jpg

40 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Why waste money on buying another boat when you need a few thousand to develop your new one?

Just want to replace the JY15 with something similar. I can get like $1000 for it total.

12 minutes ago, thengling said:

Just curious... and not familiar with the JY15 type... what would be the reason for all that wear up there? High trailer bunks, or?

Brittle ABS composite construction...

took the boat off of a dolly and put it back on.

All the JY 15 around here cracked to the point of useless dump filler material sometime last century 

the Vanguard 15 sorta really laced the JY. Fleet before double handed sailing pretty much died.

Now the kids are in 420s. And adult double handed is not a game within 200 miles 

10 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

All the JY 15 around here cracked to the point of useless dump filler material sometime last century 

the Vanguard 15 sorta really laced the JY. Fleet before double handed sailing pretty much died.

Now the kids are in 420s. And adult double handed is not a game within 200 miles 

I have several other JY15s at my club. Just looking to fix the problem and either get back on the water or sell the boat.