Under water recovery ideas?

So a Corsair Tri was flipped a couple of weeks ago and the mast, boom and sails had to be cut away from boat..... See front page for pic. So we have lots of pics, raceq tracks to look at for reference in search area. But we've gone in there a couple times with Garmin side scan and some live scope and we can't seem to find any evidence of anything in 20-40' of water. There's one idea that perhaps rig was dragged more than expected before it fully released. But I'm wondering what kind of signal would we get if mast was covered by sails? And would yo use any other sonar equipment to scan area with? We haven't done a full grid scan using livescope perspective view but figured side scan should be enough to see it....

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions!!

• Like 1

Yes on the current dragging. A Star rig and sails was lost to the bottom of Tampa Bay, Florida years ago. Despite a thorough search it was never found. And that was in only about 12 feet of depth. Muddy bottom didm't help.

To expand further, if it’s laying flat, it’ll be a minimal blip on side scan. If you’ve got fairly clear water, they make reasonably affordable underwater cameras for fishing you could tow around. 

• Like 1

It’s in a lake so current isn’t an issue. Lake is pretty clear and thought about test spotting with GoPro cameras. Not sure why I’m being lazy about posting pics!? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DaveK said:

It’s in a lake so current isn’t an issue. Lake is pretty clear and thought about test spotting with GoPro cameras. Not sure why I’m being lazy about posting pics!? 

Reservoir or nat lake...??  Our res here have a nasty current about 15' down when full..  Something gets sucked in there, well, you aint finding it.  

24 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Reservoir or nat lake...??  Our res here have a nasty current about 15' down when full..  Something gets sucked in there, well, you aint finding it.  

Lake Travis Austin. Maybe a slight current and unfortunately has zebra mussels now. I just can’t imagine any current here could move a 100 Lbs plus boom. And 3 sails that have drag. Along zebra mussels :(

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Flipped a Corsair on a lake?

That would take some doing.

Sounds like a diver for a few hours would be your best bet.

Not so much doing on a lake in this wind. 

9156EB31-11BB-4EA4-9AF1-C0F09D1F92CA.jpeg

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Lake Travis Austin. Maybe a slight current and unfortunately has zebra mussels now. I just can’t imagine any current here could move a 100 Lbs plus boom. And 3 sails that have drag. Along zebra mussels :(

Zebra mussels are your friend right now. They do wonders for water clarity. Dude, if there’s any current at all, that rig is literally sailing along the bottom.  I’ve done a few underwater salvages of silly stuff, but never a whole rig with sails.  To put it in perspective, a 25 pound plow anchor traveled 200 feet in two days  before I found it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Zebra mussels are your friend right now. They do wonders for water clarity. Dude, if there’s any current at all, that rig is literally sailing along the bottom.  I’ve done a few underwater salvages of silly stuff, but never a whole rig with sails.  To put it in perspective, a 25 pound plow anchor traveled 200 feet in two days  before I found it.

What was it attached to, a parachute?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaveK said:

Dude, you don't need to post pics after the reception you have gotten here. My hat's off to you for recovering your boat as you did. I don't know how to find your rig, but don't give up. My friends found their sunken boat in the middle of Port Townsend bay, which has lots of current after months of people looking for it in 50 feet of murky water. They found it with scuba gear and a dinghy. Boat is still going strong. 

How hard was it blowing? I had a bone-rattling sail recently and it's amazing how things change when the wind gets over 30 knots.

Dive.

Drop an anchor where you think it might be.

Have the diver descend to anchor.

Diver ties rope to anchor, swims down current, out till anchor is at limit of visibility. Then places a mark on the bottom.

There's your search radius. Swims in circle keeping rope tight. Until comes back to mark on bottom.

If not found, re anchor over mark on bottom and continue search down current

Should give you a 40 to 60 ft wide area, as long as you need . .

Our club lost a mooring ball and anchor when a storm blew through last summer. It was only about 300’ off the main dock. Never found it with divers and a boat. There were three before the storm. 

A kid flipped his Opti too and the rig went to the bottom in 6’ water never to be found-yet.

Good luck

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

And just for future reference, even though it’ll probably never happen again. Tie a damn fender onto it before you cut it loose!

We did, another boat took it out!

Rig was located. Yesterdays sonar suggested a couple of things but it didn't scream that it was there. Anyways, they dove it today and found it.

Still missing a screecher sail in the bag but at least most of it found now!

• Like 9
3 hours ago, DaveK said:

Still missing a screecher sail in the bag but at least most of it found now!

Plesae reportte that the screechere bagge hase excaped, thesse our hieley controlled entities, yhe laste nowen locatione an time helpes allotte.                            :)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How far had it travelled?

It didn't travel..... the problem was the boat kept moving while they were trying to drop the rig completely from  the boat over an hour period. I locked in my location observations from my boat but went in after awhile not realizing rig hadn't been dropped completely yet. Folks from shore took pics after rig was dropped and that correlation along with sonar data found it right where it should had been.

14 hours ago, sailor-cfn said:

Didn't know Chevy offered a lateen rig.

Me neither. I always figured Chevy pickups were junk rigs.   

• Like 2

That was fun wasn't it nothing like marine salvage to get out on the water for some fun. how did you lift it..bags? get it to shore? into the pick up? where is that 4 wheel drive accessible beach at? how many hours total was it in the drink? any bills to pay for the recovery or was it a free beer with friends thing. 

On 7/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, DaveK said:

part0-4.thumb.jpg.9e4cc2bf6e1f903ddc5778107523d298.jpg

Shouldn't you have a red flag on the end of the mast?

Oh - and watch out for low strung power cables.........

On 7/14/2020 at 11:58 AM, DRIFTW00D said:

That was fun wasn't it nothing like marine salvage to get out on the water for some fun. how did you lift it..bags? get it to shore? into the pick up? where is that 4 wheel drive accessible beach at? how many hours total was it in the drink? any bills to pay for the recovery or was it a free beer with friends thing. 

Shit happens... not much in salvage cost other then a day of dive boat that found nada..... Everything was lifted out by hand in 20' of water. The Aussie method could had worked in this case! lol