I'm still recovering from missing out on the last boat that sold just before I could get to it. So, wondering about cruisability of this boat. Not long term cruising more like a couple weeks in the San Juans or similar coastal cruising.

What is the storage like? 32 gallons of water should be enough. Can an average 6 footer stand up inside? Any bad manners under sail?

The boat I found is sitting on a brand new loadmaster trailer. Any boat I find will spend summers on a mooring out here in CO.

My search continues, thanks for the patience.

The 29 Mk II is a “small” 29 footer.  LOA. Is really 28.5.  I have a friend who had one, and I could stand up with no issues, I’m only 5’ 8”.  6’ likely tight, both from headroom and berth sizes.  

• Like 1

We had a 29-2 for nine years and liked the boat a lot. It took us to Desolation Sound most of those years, along with exploring the Gulf Islands and San Juans. I could literally sail circles around the 30-1 in light winds. The V-berth is tight, so I modified the fold-out berth in the salon to be a full-size queen and we used the pointy end for storage. We had the tiller model, which is a better bet for taller people. The backstay tends to be in the way with a wheel. We liked the boat enough that we upsized to a 35-3 of the same vintage. 

I'm currently on a 29mk2 and I just got back from two weeks in Desolation Single Handed.

I think the water tank is 34 Gallons not 32 and it was fine for me from July 1st to 12. I ran out rinsing dishes at the dock last night when I got back. No pressurized water so I save a lot using the footpumps. I was doing dishes, drinking, and having the occasional sponge bath.

Diesel tank is 20 gallons which is good for 40ish hours of motoring at 2,500-3,000 RPM (at least with my 2-blade).

Holding tank is 24 Gallons which is massive. I never have any issues with it.

Under the quarter berth is where I keep my batteries. I've got four golf carts and a car battery in there but the GCs are slightly too tall. Will do G31 when I replace them. I went the whole two weeks with no shore power and no solar never getting below 12.4V. I put a Balmar Alternator and Charge Controller on though which helped a lot.

The icebox/fridge if you have it is massive. I was able to fit about 60 cans of beer + my food for two weeks in there. Not too bad to install a fridge if it doesn't have one as the lazarette is right behind the fridge and has a shelf that fits the compressor well.

I'm 6' and I can stand in the galley area but I need to dip my head walking forward. I can stand straight up before the ramp up towards the v-berth/head but while walking I'll bump. I fit in all of the berths except the starboard settee; it's like 5'10". In the V-berth I can't stick out my toes but I can sit with my heels on the forward bulkhead without my head touching. I have the same queen sized berth setup as @Ishmael did on the port settee.

Sails well in light airs and is controllable as it builds provided you reduce sail appropriately. Sailed to windward in 25+ getting to/from desolation and it was manageable single handed. Biggest complaint is how much the boat hobbyhorses in sea state... as soon as you're pitching up and down your speed is gone and it happens really easily if you're not paying attention. You've also got to get something rigged to tension the babystay in breeze or you cannot flatten out the main properly. The babystay is also bit of a PITA when messing around with the spinnaker pole unless you remove it. I agree with @Ishmael regarding the backstay; especially when you have it cranked on.

I stuck 200' of 1/4" chain in the bow and it got rid of the dancing at anchor for the most part. If you're on rode I would get a riding sail made.

The 10° prop offset causes a pretty obnoxious amount of prop walk; especially with my fixed two-blade.

On the wheel version you have two nice propane lockers that fit 10lb tanks. I have one rigged up for the BBQ and one for the stove/oven. The previous owner had a propane hot water heater but I got rid of it.

Do you remember your Hull Number @Ishmael? Mine's 392.

Ours was 398.

The second propane locker was an option. Our boat had one propane locker and the other side was solid with the seat glued on with tough goop of some sort. I sawed the seat off with a bare hacksaw blade  and cut a hole in the top of the locker. There was just the bare hull down there with a capped through-hull. I hinged the seat in position and we used the space hung with nets for empty cans and garbage.

Yes, hobbyhorsing is an issue in a chop. You learn to sail a little broad to keep the boat moving. Having an easily adjusted babystay is a must. 

What did you carry sail wise for racing here in Van? I've been contemplating moving from my Code 3 135% Genoa to a Code 4 150% one for all of the light air we've got.

Did you have a reaching strut to keep the guy off of the lifelines/shrouds?

On 7/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, climenuts said:

What did you carry sail wise for racing here in Van? I've been contemplating moving from my Code 3 135% Genoa to a Code 4 150% one for all of the light air we've got.

Did you have a reaching strut to keep the guy off of the lifelines/shrouds?

Not being independently wealthy, I never race our own boats, but I have been fortunate in racing on others'. The guy we sold our 29 to went with a 105 or 110 and an unbattened main, as I recall. Apparently the time he picked up in PHRF was worth it. We heard he won a bunch of races with that setup. I did a Swiftsure on another 29-2 with maxed-out sails but the naviguesser/tactician/owner decided to go right up the middle of Juan de Fuca in steep chop instead of going over to the US shore. We rounded the Clallam Bay mark behind damn near everybody and it didn't improve on the way in.

• Like 1