JY15 Replacement ($1200 ish)

Hello All,

Having fixed the cracking issues with my JY15, I decided to sell it to get out of the class (poor construction ext.)

I am now looking to replace the boat with something fiberglass...here is what I have found...

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/d/bloomingburg-sailboat-international-470/7154874781.html

A Vanguard 470 (Hull number 95 so likely early 70s) $650 OBO

Two sets of sails, a dolly and a trailer, new sails (sounds like a good deal to me)

My worry with this boat is after a bit of use (year or two) it will become soft (it is not yet) and be a throwaway...really want the boat but very weary of the side effects. No soft spots as of yet and the boat was sailed as of last year... already have the guy holding it for me so don't get any ideas (:

I am also looking at Vanguard 15s, a Laser II and similar stuff, so if anyone in the northeast has any for sale under $1200 send me a smoke signal.

4 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

JBTM, looks like someone's looking for a JY15 https://hartford.craigslist.org/wan/d/manchester-wanted-jy15-sailboat/7129570274.html mabey they would be interested in yours?

Sent them an email about a week ago...nada

2 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

This example looks like a french made circa 1960s and is in self described "ok" condition. I don't like the look of it from 5 feet back, who knows about from a few inches.

I looked at a Vanguard 420 but it had this a dent where the hull was stored on the dolly.

47 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

The 505 has a soft spot in the deck

5f0a1a9b2828d7.30503026.jpg

I hate it when they get those soft spots that let the air out

An easy fix, worth checking to see if the boat worth it in other respects. The 5-O is a great boat. My experience with them is limited but enough to know that the old ones are often used as test beds for rigging ideas that don't work out, or once they've stopped being actively sailed they get used as spare parts holders.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

The 505 has a soft spot in the deck

5f0a1a9b2828d7.30503026.jpg5f0a1a9b2828d7.30503026.jpg5f0a1a9b2828d7.30503026.jpg

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot barge pole, spend your hard earned cash on something newer and in better condition, be prepared to spend a bit more, 99% of the time you get what you paid for.

9 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot barge pole, spend your hard earned cash on something newer and in better condition, be prepared to spend a bit more, 99% of the time you get what you paid for.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

The guy with the lower post is full of it. JD power valuations are garbage. I have a complete laser (sn: 102281) from 1988 that I was curious to see what value they provided... $2095... no way.

2 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Agreed.

The guy with the lower post is full of it. JD power valuations are garbage. I have a complete laser (sn: 102281) from 1988 that I was curious to see what value they provided... $2095... no way.

yeah, that price is nuts.  Buuuut, the $700 that he's asking is pretty decent for that laser2.

1 minute ago, Grestone said:

yeah, that price is nuts.  Buuuut, the $700 that he's asking is pretty decent for that laser2.

Agreed, but he quotes 1,250 as book value. Given the fact that most laser 2s are like wet noodles at this point, I don't see 1.2k as a fair valuation. 700 is fine, wish I was nearby...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

I would wait for the Vulcan 15 to be launched. Forget about these old 20th century boats.

Need something to sail in the meantime (selling my current boat to pay for it)

I have a guy willing to give me a nice V15 with ratty sails and a trailer. All in with new sails it will be a $1,100 boat.

Thoughts?

Regarding the 505 in Clinton CT with the soft spot.  Without the hull number, I would say by the looks that it is a Butler, possibly owned by one time Essex fleet captain Ed Burch, as I don't remember any other red Butlers up that way.  The soft spot looks more like a trapeze hook thru the tank than anything else.  If it is Ed's old boat, it was one of the 4 or 5 GOOD Butlers that made their way here to the US in the late 60's and early 70's.  We used to get 30 plus boats at a regional regatta until the Lindsays came along.  Unfortunately, I was a good part of that problem, as I had Marks' s 1st, 11th and 40th.  While our numbers diminished, it sure was fun and great learning when there were 3 current World Champions and a couple of NA champs as well in an eight boat fleet!   At the time, I was regional coordinator (and for 25 years).  BK

14 hours ago, koolkat505 said:

Regarding the 505 in Clinton CT with the soft spot.  Without the hull number, I would say by the looks that it is a Butler, possibly owned by one time Essex fleet captain Ed Burch, as I don't remember any other red Butlers up that way.  The soft spot looks more like a trapeze hook thru the tank than anything else.  If it is Ed's old boat, it was one of the 4 or 5 GOOD Butlers that made their way here to the US in the late 60's and early 70's.  We used to get 30 plus boats at a regional regatta until the Lindsays came along.  Unfortunately, I was a good part of that problem, as I had Marks' s 1st, 11th and 40th.  While our numbers diminished, it sure was fun and great learning when there were 3 current World Champions and a couple of NA champs as well in an eight boat fleet!   At the time, I was regional coordinator (and for 25 years).  BK

Cool story! I would buy it, but I am looking for something a little more turn-key

• 1 month later...

19 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

JBTM, what happened to the RS 500 "barn find"?

It was just that: a barn find. The guy wanted was to much for it with the sails considering a few issues it had (including missing trapeze). Having fixed the JY15, I am getting new sails for it to either sell it, or get better use out of it.

7 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

It was just that: a barn find. The guy wanted was to much for it with the sails considering a few issues it had (including missing trapeze). Having fixed the JY15, I am getting new sails for it to either sell it, or get better use out of it.

BTW, I have found a few 1975+ Lightnings that I could fit into my budget (obviously with a little stretching).

7 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

BTW, I have found a few 1975+ Lightnings that I could fit into my budget (obviously with a little stretching).

Well, I can tell you a lot about old Lightnings.

post-30927-1244042287_thumb.jpg

1969 Allen, which I bought for cheap intending to race a little and daysail a lot, possibly camp cruise. Ended up rebuilding it for fairly serious racing, took it to the North Americans twice (didn't win, but we still have a lot of Lightning knicknack trophies laying around. This was the beginning of the era of not giving traditional trophies). In this photo, the hull has been rebuilt with webbed triangular braces, lightened, had floatation added (this is KEY!), faired, and repainted; and I was on round 1.5 or so of upgrading/rerouting the running rigging and control lines. The spinnaker is brand new and you can see it was pretty effective (fun boat offwind!).

Lightnings are fun boats to sail but you have to watch the ergonomics. Spirited, muscular enough to give you a fight, stable enough to not be desperate or scary to take a non-sailing friend.  They can be pain boxes.

This is one of the prettiest boats I've ever owned.

FB- Doug