Anyone know more than what it on the Melges site?  I didn't see a weight for the boat so my thoughts on it are on hold.  Really hate that it is a baler boat and am confused on the use of aluminum for the rig as a tapered aluminum rig is not exactly inexpensive compared to carbon.

Is this Melges eyeing up the Seascape/Beneteau 14?

• Like 1
On 7/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, Foredeck Shuffle said:

Anyone know more than what it on the Melges site?  I didn't see a weight for the boat so my thoughts on it are on hold.  Really hate that it is a baler boat and am confused on the use of aluminum for the rig as a tapered aluminum rig is not exactly inexpensive compared to carbon.

Is this Melges eyeing up the Seascape/Beneteau 14?

They need to just downsize a M20 to 15ft scale and sell it. I would buy that.

19 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Doesn't have a jib and may or may not end up with a keel so not a dinghy.

Definitively a Dinghy under the OD configuration - Non ballasted. The keel will be a recreational option , which, as anything else takes off and becomes popular, may end up racing in it's own division.

The VX Evo is a perfect option for a simple one-man sportboat dinghy, anybody 170 lbs to 240 lbs will simply love it.

Rod

• Like 3
On 7/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, Rodfavela said:

Definitively a Dinghy under the OD configuration - Non ballasted. The keel will be a recreational option , which, as anything else takes off and becomes popular, may end up racing in it's own division.

The VX Evo is a perfect option for a simple one-man sportboat dinghy, anybody 170 lbs to 240 lbs will simply love it.

Rod

The Evo has been on my radar for a long time, just can't bring myself to spend Finn money. Unintentional threadjack but what's the fleet strength looking like lately?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

The Evo has been on my radar for a long time, just can't bring myself to spend Finn money. Unintentional threadjack but what's the fleet strength looking like lately?

The Finn is a much more expensive boat. Comparing apples to apples, the Finn starts at $17,500 for a Devotti in the US, then the adds on that we know we need.   The VX Evo, while not Olympic, is all up around $17,500, so there is a gap  of about $7,000 probably depending on the options.

The Fleet is slowly growing, the COVID situation has delayed a couple of sales, but we are moving and having great fun  , specially here in Texas.  Next on the agenda is finalize the class rules and publish them.

Curiously enough, we have sold a similar % of VX Evos to recreational sailors that have a passion for speed and simplicity as we have done to racers and more technical oriented sailors. The boat is a great performance daysailer as you can even throw a soft cooler with some libations and tie to the hiking strap and go just to have fun simply because the boat is just joyful to sail. Kudos to Brian Bennett for nailing it again with a great design that covers all the above.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Rodfavela said:

The Finn is a much more expensive boat. Comparing apples to apples, the Finn starts at $17,500 for a Devotti in the US, then the adds on that we know we need.   The VX Evo, while not Olympic, is all up around $17,500, so there is a gap  of about $7,000 probably depending on the options.

The Fleet is slowly growing, the COVID situation has delayed a couple of sales, but we are moving and having great fun  , specially here in Texas.  Next on the agenda is finalize the class rules and publish them.

Curiously enough, we have sold a similar % of VX Evos to recreational sailors that have a passion for speed and simplicity as we have done to racers and more technical oriented sailors. The boat is a great performance daysailer as you can even throw a soft cooler with some libations and tie to the hiking strap and go just to have fun simply because the boat is just joyful to sail. Kudos to Brian Bennett for nailing it again with a great design that covers all the above.

I'm intimately familiar with Finn campaign costs, my issue is tying up close to $30,000 in singlehanded dinghies, regardless of how well designed they are.

How many hulls are in the U.S.?

• Like 1

Been sitting on the fence too. Great video, btw. Vipers took me away from displacement boats, and the VXone looked perfect, but no fleets in the PNW. (Still want one though.) For singlehanding Evo ticks all the boxes, but still no fleets. Y'all need to aggressively market these things to clubs. They seem to be such great boats, but I have only sailed the viper cause that's all we got. Think you will ever make it this way, for at least a demo, after world war c of course?

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Been sitting on the fence too. Great video, btw. Vipers took me away from displacement boats, and the VXone looked perfect, but no fleets in the PNW. (Still want one though.) For singlehanding Evo ticks all the boxes, but still no fleets. Y'all need to aggressively market these things to clubs. They seem to be such great boats, but I have only sailed the viper cause that's all we got. Think you will ever make it this way, for at least a demo, after world war c of course?

The VX -1 is an awesome boat. I would say the best all around sailing machine of my experience. Needs more elbow room in the galley though, there isn't really space to make French Toast. But hot damn, it is really fun to sail.

FB- Doug

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Varan said:

Need to bring in newcomers to the sport. Just selling to clubs is going to create political infighting with existing classes.

3 hours ago, Varan said:

Varan, right on!

Yes, we actually have a plan to start migrating VX Evos to the West before September. There are few VX Ones in the West coast...however there are so many great venues so far apart that they are scattered, but we are working on our conquest of the West. 

The Viper is a great boat and I think you will really appreciate the what the VX One and VX Evo have to offer.

Note: the VX Evo is probable the best monohull I have sailed that is in fact very enjoyable in light air, so the fun factor starts very early on. Once the wind picks up is completely another level.

Melges delivered 6 boats on Friday to Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club on LBI NJ. 

We sail E scows so going fast was non negotiable.  We wanted something simple at a price point that would appeal to younger sailors not ready to spend what it takes to campaign an E.  With all the covid restrictions the time was right for a husband/wife or parent/child option for sailing too.  It took 4 weeks to convince 5 owners to step up with deposits and the boats were delivered about 8 weeks after the melges announcement.  The boats are impressive out of the box and short of adding a water bottle holder I think the crew at Melges thought of everything.  

Day 1 was light and the boat was easy to sail single or double handed.  My wife hadn't sailed for a few years and the boat was stable and not intimidating at all.  Day 2 had a nice seabreeze in the 12-15 knot range.  The boat was comfortable to hike up wind and launching the chute was easy with the launcher.  Under the chute the boat really lights up and rips.  On the E the acceleration is impressive as it builds momentum.  The M15 reacts quickly to puffs and we were steering aggressively to keep the apparent wind in the kite.  It was really fun!  No speed or compass to report numbers but ill circle back with those in a week or two.

I will admit that there was a moment where i questioned my sanity ordering a boat I had never sailed.   Convincing others to come along for the adventure was a huge leap of faith.  We could not be happier with the boats now that they are here.  Hit me up here with questions and i'll respond.   

DSC_4371 (1).JPG

DSC_4419.JPG

• Like 5
On 7/18/2020 at 9:39 PM, Wavedancer II said:

20 knots in that video?

I don't think it was blowing 20 knots, may be a puff at the beginning. The friend who took the video indicated that, but I don't think is accurate.

• Like 1

Fretz, thanks so much for the action report and the pics. Has anybody flipped one yet?

When I saw that the NEW!! Melges 15 was single bottomed like club 420s etc etc I kinda lost interest, but I think there could be a good place for it. A simple two-person hiking centerboarder with an asymmetric, that was shaped and sized such that the size/weight of the crew were less of a deciding factor, could be a really fun (and therefor popular?) boat. It's a nice looking boat.... not ultramodern, yeah, so.... and the ergonomics look decent.

I'd like to give one a try. Long way from getting anything going here, though.

FB- Doug

I like the single bottom as you feel like you are in a boat vs on it.  The anderson bailers are the extra large ones and there are flaps in the transom to let water out.  We have not flipped yet but well probably do it this weekend on purpose to see how it goes.  2 boats were dropped off in the outerbanks on the trip to NJ...  Like you our issue is depth.  We need something that draws less than 3' and has a durable dagger board for the occasional sand bar.  I think the boat will do well here for many factors but the draft is what got us to commit to the initial 6 boats.

• Like 1

Boat looks fine for what it is. Not every platform needs to be cutting edge tech.

Can you describe how time consuming the rigging process is from transport to ready to launch? Can one person step the mast, or does it take two? 

1 hour ago, Stachel said:

Boat looks fine for what it is. Not every platform needs to be cutting edge tech.

Can you describe how time consuming the rigging process is from transport to ready to launch? Can one person step the mast, or does it take two? 

The 1st time we rigged it was a group effort.  We had to get them off a 10 boat  trailer and assemble the rigs.  Now that its all together id guess that you could be mast up and rigged well under 30 min.  The next time I rig it ill try putting the mast up solo too.  

• Downvote 1

The best hiking platform I have ever had the pleasure to sail is the 59er.  Open transom and double bottomed with considerable flare for extending weight outboard.

The Melges looks like it's trying to do the bevel thing (first appeared on Tasar?)  at least it doesn't have a thwart. 

19 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Another b class cat?

I guess it fits that rule, never really thought about it.  They were designed and built in the early-mid 2000's, but being carbon/nomex prepreg, they weren't cheap and Marstom didn't sell a lot of them.  They are seeing a new life and being rebuilt into really cool foiling boats. https://vampire-project.com/

• Like 1