8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Actually I did misremember Cowes. AUS did go over 50 right at the end winning a race but 51.4 was something else, as Kyle relates.

20200717_204830.jpg

Or were they just showing off their new 90º twist wing?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, RobG said:

Looks a bit slow though… :ph34r:

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Huge RM...it's stable as

Ergo: Stable = FAST - just ask a good sailor......... there's one around here somewhere:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Auckland is back in lock down. Stick a fork in it - its dead already. The question is whether the defenders will call this farce over, or whether it will die a long slow death from a thousand cuts (or covid cases).

1 minute ago, Guvacine said:

Auckland is back in lock down. Stick a fork in it - its dead already. The question is whether the defenders will call this farce over, or whether it will die a long slow death from a thousand cuts (or covid cases).

Stick a fork in this stupid thread.

51 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

GD is stuck. He has to proceed with the event as there's just no other money out there - and won't be for a while - to fund a postponement (i.e. - to keep the teams around and practicing, boats kept up, etc.). I think absolutely everyone involved just wants this dumpsterfire of an event to be over...especially the NZ government entities.

So, my prediction is that the NZG will let the other teams in just to stop their cash hemorrhage and costly litigation. But no one outside NZ will watch, no one will care. It will just be "some weird yacht race in some far away place". And AC36 will go down in history as THE cursed AC.

I do hope the Emiratis are utterly crushed and we can move on from this disaster and let the America's Cup start rebuilding itself.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I do hope the Emiratis are utterly crushed and we can move on from this disaster and let the America's Cup start rebuilding itself.

Into some sort of LE flying circus, I suppose....no wait.... :-(

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Into some sort of LE flying circus, I suppose....no wait.... :-(

Heh. Nah - just into something that's a bit more elegant, well-designed, and affordable than the AC75 - so there can actually be a good event with a healthy field of challengers. That's really the only thing that will save the AC (and when I say that, I mean garner public interest in the thing).

52 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh. Nah - just into something that's a bit more elegant, well-designed, and affordable than the AC75 - so there can actually be a good event with a healthy field of challengers. That's really the only thing that will save the AC (and when I say that, I mean garner public interest in the thing).

I would suggest that AC is more popular in the publics mind now than ever....The road to the cup has never been affordable. Maybe you should sail it in one design dinghies!!! :lol::lol::lol:

B14DB21E-D61C-44E2-8A11-6B1B5AAE8283.jpeg

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

GD is stuck. He has to proceed with the event as there's just no other money out there - and won't be for a while - to fund a postponement (i.e. - to keep the teams around and practicing, boats kept up, etc.). I think absolutely everyone involved just wants this dumpsterfire of an event to be over...especially the NZ government entities.

So, my prediction is that the NZG will let the other teams in just to stop their cash hemorrhage and costly litigation. But no one outside NZ will watch, no one will care. It will just be "some weird yacht race in some far away place". And AC36 will go down in history as THE cursed AC.

Wow you really are a nasty individual!

The AC36 will be another page in the fascinating history if the event and the world. The event will go ahead when most other international sport won't. That a pretty good captive sailing audience. 

Oh yes...i am still waiting for any of your ”predictions” to become reality. 

The only dumpster fire I am watching are your karmic seeds ripening.

"dumpster fire"  lol

the shutdown is giving more time to foil, surf, sail, and test around here.  ppl are getting better and better on foil boards, using faster and faster foil profiles.

NZ will probably just isolate new ppl to their island for a couple weeks when they show up to race.

The boats are a cool but weird combo of electric and sail.  Should be an interesting event, barring some type of world war.  Although even during a world war

some rich ppl still enjoy life.

my opinion is that probably, if a team has a competitive boat, they will still be outsailed by the kiwis who are really good at foiling....time will tell

And if an AC75 B1 has allegedly gotten 49-50 knots practicing, what might we see in December thru March in regattas? I mean, not too shabby for boats some said (back when the rule was publidhed ) would not foil, could not dry tack, and would fall over when stationary at the dock.... Go back and read the early threads...

How fast will they go?  As of April, SGP might be needing those anticav foils....  BWAHAHAHA

21 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Nope. One of those countries is run by an empty headed hairdo. The other country is the US of A.

God bless President comb over

E360DC6E-6725-4048-B0AE-86E628E7E943.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

During the recent Team NZ SailGP announcement video RC mentioned (I think?) 54 knots coming up from the F50’s! 

There’s a good chance the top two AC75 B2’s will achieve it too.. 

The F50 peak speeds on those courses were "instantaneous" or at least a short burst of seconds. 

I expect the AC75s to be capable of higher sustained speeds over more time where they race.

9 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The F50 peak speeds on those courses were "instantaneous" or at least a short burst of seconds. 

I expect the AC75s to be capable of higher sustained speeds over more time where they race.

And there's a big difference between hyping, I mean, hoping, that you're going to hit 54, and actually doing it. Vaporware.

• Like 1

plus with sustained speed over distance, independent observers with radar guns can crowdsource, lol. SGP does rely on correcting the boat data with tidal models to back that out, not saying the data guys fudge it but everything is +/- something. 

Same for AC75 , I would imagine but they may hit high speeds enough times, not once.  

22 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

plus with sustained speed over distance, independent observers with radar guns can crowdsource, lol. SGP does rely on correcting the boat data with tidal models to back that out, not saying the data guys fudge it but everything is +/- something. 

Same for AC75 , I would imagine but they may hit high speeds enough times, not once.  

Interesting times. If the AC runs before the next gp starts, gp may always live in the shadow of some new speed record set by the 75's. For sure many more $$$$$$$ going into foil dev in the AC.

Maybe wuss will be motivated to run a race in nz prior to the Match just to hold a new speed from their next gen boats. For a Month or two.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, barfy said:

Interesting times. If the AC runs before the next gp starts, gp may always live in the shadow of some new speed record set by the 75's. For sure many more $$$$$$$ going into foil dev in the AC.

Maybe wuss will be motivated to run a race in nz prior to the Match just to hold a new speed from their next gen boats. For a Month or two.

If he does run an SGP this side of April 2021, he'll have to do it without the ETNZ rock stars who will be focusing solely on the Defence.

18 hours ago, barfy said:

Which is why they’ve started a renewed focus, on the Cowes regatta, which “will forever go down in history as the “first time the 50 knot barrier was broken”. They probably know it’ll be eclipsed by the 75’s so the want everyone to know, SailGP broke the 50 knot barrier first lol

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Which is why they’ve started a renewed focus, on the Cowes regatta, which “will forever go down in history as the “first time the 50 knot barrier was broken (with five knots of current with them)”. They probably know it’ll be eclipsed by the 75’s so the want everyone to know, SailGP broke the 50 knot barrier first lol

^ Fixed it :D

^^Of course they won't. GD can't afford it. Money spigot is off across the board. Time to just take AC36 out to The Paddock and put it down as mercifully as possible.

They can make Level 4AC.

The point is to avoid moving around and mixing. Just shove em in a bubble per team and do it. Not like it's a full contact sport between boats. Well not much anyhow.

With good remote announcing, not like people in other countries will know or care if there are in person spectators. Come March, what else will there be to watch?  

Level 3 allows film crew to work...so the media coverage would be fine no problems at L3. We won't be going back to level 4, so let's not get our knickers in a knot. Except for slopdaddy that's just his default setting. ^_^

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Come March, what else will there be to watch?  

On the same level in terms of excitement? Well, there's this...

48 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

On the same level in terms of excitement? Well, there's this...

Mmmm yeah maybe if he was doing that while foiling at 50 knots you might be close...:ph34r:

On 8/16/2020 at 10:57 AM, NZL4EVER said:

Why such word salad?

"

The World Series were match races and fleet regattas staged overseas throughout the year as heats leading up to the main event.

The series to decide the Cup challenger would follow in January, before the event proper in March."

And mention of the"media room", ffs the video showed an entire infrastructure, not a room.

Fail