Goya Foods - Robert Unanue

Goya Foods: Hispanic brand faces boycott for praising Trump

10 July 2020

On Thursday, Robert Unanue, the CEO of Goya Foods, attended an event at the White House where President Trump signed the Hispanic Prosperity Initiative, which was described as an effort to improve access to educational and economic opportunities.

Mr Unanue praised the president at the event, saying: "We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53371392

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously. The President of the United States of America, putting a brand of food on his desk to get people to purchase more, because that brand said good things about him. A cheap, hor

Beanghazi !!!

Posted Images

§ 2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.

An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations. The specific prohibitions set forth in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this section apply this general standard, but are not intended to be exclusive or to limit the application of this section.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2635.702

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Damn, I liked their frijoles refritas 

No Mas !!

Goya Refried Beans

When I'm near an oven large enough and have access appropriate pans, I used Goya's adobo spice and sour orange juice to make a kick-ass pernil.

Not something I can do on the boat though, especially since it literally cooks all day (too much propane), the oven barely fits a small chicken, and you have to have this giant-ass pork shoulder in the fridge marinating over night.

But every time I visit my parents I try to make one.

No mas.

I follow this general recipe. Just have to use a clone, substitute, or replacement from somewhere else. The sour orange is hard to find anyway.

http://www.weareneverfull.com/low-and-slow-even-more-succulent-pernil-but-only-if-you-have-the-time/

P.S. - if you pull the rind off in the last half an hour you can make killer ciccarones with it.

6 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Pubix has had these notes on many items in the store.

Sure are a lot of cans on the shelf for such a high demand item.  Doesn't that imply that folks aren't buying?  

• Like 1

Ask the average Joe on the street what they think about Goya foods... surprisingly, they'll have no clue who they are and could care less...   Ask the average Jose' different story, and they'll support the brand...  its a Hispanic thing.

Another faux social justice warrior outrage

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Damn, I liked their frijoles refritas 

No Mas !!

So I'm having a tough time here.  See if you can help me.

Goya dude kisses Trump's ass while sitting less than 6' from Chief Anti-Masker. 

People, like you, express their distaste for Orange Nosing by boycotting Goya dude's products, utilizing their right to free speech.

Goya dude says this is unfair because Orange Nosing is an expression of free speech.

So here's where I'm lost - which one is free speech? 

A ) Sticking your nose up Trump's ass?
or
 B ) boycotting the company owned by the guy who stuck his nose up Trump's ass?

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

People, like you, express their distaste for Orange Nosing by boycotting Goya dude's products, utilizing their right to free speech.

Goya dude says this is unfair because Orange Nosing is an expression of free speech.

or

Owning the libs. They are The Enemy. 

or

Compromise, stick a can of Goya frijoles negros up Trump's ass.  If they have a family or party size, even the better.  

or

Both. It's called civil discourse.

"Goya Dude" is expressing his desire to kiss trump's ass is greater than selling beans to enlightened americans.

While "People", enlightened americans, are expressing their distaste for ass licking.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Problem SOLved. 

F2723CAE-12FB-428C-B800-F3E72BE349D6.jpeg

Cooking from dried beans is tastier and a lot cheaper, just takes a day ahead planning to soak.

Have to admit, Goya does have the best canned beans though.  

18 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Should we be burning cans of Goya food like the righties burned their Nikes? Asking for a friend.

Well, just heat them up a bit, topped with some onions and a sprinkle of cheddar and hot sauce.  If you burn them the pan is difficult to clean.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wow, I just had a thought... do you suppose that's why he was wearing that tan suit???

- DSK

Seriously.

The President of the United States of America, putting a brand of food on his desk to get people to purchase more, because that brand

said good things about him.

A cheap, horrifying, embarrassing, disgraceful advertisement. 

THIS is what we've come to as a country.

You fucks, and you know who you are, should be embarrassed.

• Like 7

Unanue argued that there was a double standard in people’s reaction to his praise for Trump versus his association with other presidents. He cited his invitation from the former first lady Michelle Obama in 2012 for a Florida event promoting her Let’s Move! healthy-eating initiative.

“Goya is utilizing their incredible reach into communities across the country to get this helpful information to the hand of parents,” Michelle Obama said at the time. “Everything that Goya is doing – from the MiPlato posters and pamphlets to cookbooks and recipes – center around the idea that we parents can make simple changes to help their children lead healthier lives.”

The Goya Foods company was also recognized by former president Barack Obama in 2011 “for its continued success and commitment to the Hispanic community, the only company to ever be honored by the President,” according to their site

36 minutes ago, Dog said:

A president isn't listed in the Hatch Act, White House employees are.

"Government ethics experts across the nation are denouncing Ivanka Trump’s late-night endorsement of Goya Foods as a violation of law – and ethics – especially as it comes just days after the company’s CEO appeared on national television in the Rose Garden of the White House to praise President Donald Trump. 

“If it’s Goya, it has to be good,” the First Daughter and Senior Advisor to the President tweeted Tuesday night, with the statement repeated in Spanish. In her tweet Ivanka Trump is displaying a can of Goya black beans by holding it with her right hand and suggestively motioning to it with her left, as many do when endorsing a product. 

Ms. Trump’s Goya tweet is clearly a violation of the government’s misuse of position regulation, 5 C.F.R. § 2635.702. Ms. Trump has had ethics training. She knows better. But she did it anyway because no one in this administration cares about government ethics,” Shaub says."

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/experts-ivanka-trumps-endorsement-of-goya-foods-puts-her-in-serious-legal-trouble/

If it’s Goya, it has to be good. Si es Goya, tiene que ser bueno.

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Not at all....one is a food company and the other is a car company.

It's truly pathetic how far you will go in your loyal defense of the President against any and all criticism.

51 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Seriously.

The President of the United States of America, putting a brand of food on his desk to get people to purchase more, because that brand

said good things about him.

A cheap, horrifying, embarrassing, disgraceful advertisement. 

THIS is what we've come to as a country.

You fucks, and you know who you are, should be embarrassed.

Also illegal. Not that that stops a Trump.

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

It's truly pathetic how far you will go in your loyal defense of the President against any and all criticism.

Pathetic is resorting to the personal when you get spanked.

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Pathetic is resorting to the personal when you get spanked.

Spanked?  Give me a fucking break.

You provide an "example" of President Obama doing something not even remotely the same as loading his desk with products from a company whose CEO openly praises him as if it were comparable.  

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Spanked?  Give me a fucking break.

You provide an "example" of President Obama doing something not even remotely the same as loading his desk with products from a company whose CEO openly praises him as if it were comparable.  

Do you need me to explain how they are alike?

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Do you need me to explain how they are alike?

I am sure you find the Obama comment problematic and the Trump promotion to be okay, because Obama once said he'd buy a car.

Just now, Bus Driver said:

I am sure you find the Obama comment problematic and the Trump promotion to be okay, because Obama once said he'd buy a car.

I find them both problematic. Any reasonable person would.

55 minutes ago, Dog said:
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Would one of the Faithful please remind us of the times President Obama did this?  Thanks in advance. 

https://www.hybridcars.com/president-obama-says-he-will-buy-chevy-volt-41872/

Was that before or after he said "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

Also, how much did Chevy pay him?

Thanks in advance

- DSK

52 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

Unanue argued that there was a double standard in people’s reaction to his praise for Trump versus his association with other presidents. He cited his invitation from the former first lady Michelle Obama in 2012 for a Florida event promoting her Let’s Move! healthy-eating initiative.

“Goya is utilizing their incredible reach into communities across the country to get this helpful information to the hand of parents,” Michelle Obama said at the time. “Everything that Goya is doing – from the MiPlato posters and pamphlets to cookbooks and recipes – center around the idea that we parents can make simple changes to help their children lead healthier lives.”

The Goya Foods company was also recognized by former president Barack Obama in 2011 “for its continued success and commitment to the Hispanic community, the only company to ever be honored by the President,” according to their site

To be fair, Obama didn't open his campaign by calling Mexicans criminals and rapists, then spend the next 3+ years fighting the legal attempts of Hispanic to claim asylum by committing war crimes or ignoring Puerto Rico's tragedies and letting people die.

It's not that Unanue supported Trump or Obama. It's that Trump is so clearly and obviously racist and has said and done so much to harm the Hispanic population, which as it happens is Goya's customer base. And he chose to heap praise on him.

So it's not exactly the same. It's similar to something like if the CEO of Manischewitz starting heaping praise on Richard Spencer. Sure, some goyim buy their matzo and wine, but the primary market for a Kosher product is people that Spencer thinks are sub-human and wants to wipe off the earth. So it would be a tad tone deaf, like if the Executive Director of GLAAD started praising the CEO of Chik-Fil-A.

Then Trump doubles down by hawking the products with his family...

Of course, some of us deeply oppose racism, corruption and fascism and view any overt support of it as questionable. So we feel fairly strongly that if we can avoid giving our dollars to someone who will turn around and use the profit they make from us to promote and support racism, fascism, and corruption (or "the Trump Administration" for short) we'd rather not help them make money.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Gone Drinking said:

It's a single standard: Obama met it, Trump doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Gone Drinking said:

Also, Michelle Obama inviting the CEO of a major food brand that serves much of the Hispanic community to a better eating initiative makes a certain amount of sense, don't you think?

Neither example here is anything close to the full-tongue asskissing with two-handed reach-around that Unanue gave to Trump the other day. And none involved running an infomercial out of the oval office.

• Like 1

If Trump lives another 5yrs (likely only 3 needed), we're going to witness another  bankruptcy.  Guaranteed.  Hopefully, he'll appear in court in prison orange.  Working for Epstein was Ivanka's safety net so who knows what she's going to do.  Jr and Eric and will become hunting tour guides and each be shot by the same disgruntled customer.  Melania will marry Justin Bieber and star in his videos.  Barron will die in a tragic frozen yogurt accident.  

7 hours ago, jhc said:

While "People", enlightened americans, are expressing their distaste for ass licking.

Unless of course if its Obama's ass, then licking is required.

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You come across as not very educated, HS graduate or GED?

BS: Post Secondary Technical Education - Education and indoctrination are two totally different things.   

16 minutes ago, plchacker said:

Unless of course if its Obama's ass, then licking is required.

it's.  Always mouth the words, could you replace your its with it is?  In which case it is it's.  And I'm a fucking engineer and don't know shit about English other than you know less.  

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

it's.  Always mouth the words, could you replace your its with it is?  In which case it is it's.  And I'm a fucking engineer and don't know shit about English other than you know less.  

I missed an apostrophe.  so are you a EE, an ME or CHME?   

Just now, plchacker said:

I missed an apostrophe.  so are you a EE, an ME or CHME?   

Physical Oceanographer which was in the Engin school at Michigan.  BS and MS.  I designed radars for ocean surveillance.  

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Physical Oceanographer which was in the Engin school at Michigan.  BS and MS.  I designed radars for ocean surveillance.  

Cool job.  Have a nice day.  or FUCK OFF which ever is fine with me.

4 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I think I'm going to masturbate before the LDS take over the country.  

BTW what does 16 Mile Road look like now?  When I lived there it was mostly pastures.  We had horses and hunted pheasants out back. 

Just now, plchacker said:

BTW what does 16 Mile Road look like now?  When I lived there it was mostly pastures.  We had horses and hunted pheasants out back. 

I'm in Western Wayne but I guarantee it is no longer pastures.  A lot of pop up subdivisions in that area of varying quality.  Were you involved with Selfridge?

Can we dissect this a bit?

Trump gave his support to the Hispanic Educational Excellence thing, originally that was President H.W. Bush's thing.

1. I assume we all agree that this is a good program right?

2. Do we also mostly agree that Hispanic students apparently have their own barriers with education, that has kept them from achieving parity with other ethnic groups of students? (Food for thought, I was one of my high school's National Hispanic Scholars and my grades were absolute shit in high school, bad enough to be academically ineligible for track one season, and wrestling another season. Yet even with my shit grades, I still won the $100 scholarship.)

3. Hispanic students seem to have their own set of challenges in school, and yet there is tremendous opportunity in the USA to produce really sharp, highly-educated Hispanic students, especially as a link to the USA increasingly becoming integrated into the economy of Latin America. (Miami is nicknamed "The Capital of Latin America.)

4. How important is it that Trump apparently backed this thing to get Hispanic votes? Do his ulterior motives matter if effective legislation is signed?

5. Goya's involvement here is there own business, they're not a public institution, and the impact to their products, markets and owners are their own problem, obviously. I've never been a Goya guy, I prefer Kuner's, but Goya is the 600 lbs. gorilla of the Latin Food industry, they have a huge following across Latin America.

6. Does it make sense for lefties to boycott Goya and potentially alienate the Latin American community for a fundamentally sound decision by President Trump? In boycotting Goya, the message we send is "We hate Trump so much that we're willing to burn down the future of Hispanic Educational Excellence in the USA." Is that a smart position, or a profoundly misguided one?

7. Cuban Americans (especially) are relatively conservative voters in the USA, but there are others, especially from South America who have their own histories with oppressive regimes, and for better or worse, often embrace Conservative politicians. Given that, is this best us Lefties can do? Bitching like a bunch of whipped puppies because President Trump did something smart? We have far more to offer Latinos and Hispanics than the Righties. We support fair wages, unions, equitable health insurance, we're willing to keep our policies out of women's reproductive organs. We support immigration reform because we recognize the true value of Latin American immigrants who can add to our economy as citizens, rather than as migrant workers to receive no respect from industry or government. We don't support transitioning our Prison-Industries to move from the Drug War to the Immigration War. Us Lefties have a lot to offer Hispanic and Latino voters, way more than a reboot of President Bush's educational excellence program. So if Trump is willing to do OUR work for us, what's the problem? The more the better, let's just make sure he doesn't take any of our voters.
3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm in Western Wayne but I guarantee it is no longer pastures.  A lot of pop up subdivisions in that area of varying quality.  Were you involved with Selfridge?

I'm not sure what Selfridge is/was.  Before teaching, my dad was a tool and die maker for Chrysler. We moved South to get away from the downfall of Detroit.  I still have a great deal of friends and family in that area.   I fell in love with sailing on Lake Erie, on the Canadian side.  My Grandmother was Canadian.

47 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You come across as not very educated, HS graduate or GED?

PLC is one of the most educated and intelligent people here, he has literally trained hundreds of American robotic production engineers and techs.

(That's not personal info, Clean, PLC has shared that here, but flick away, if it gives you that buzz.)

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

PLC is one of the most educated and intelligent people here, he has literally trained hundreds of American robotic production engineers.

(That's not personal info, Clean, PLC has shared that here.)

Thanks, but it is electricians, not engineers.  I work in an engineering group, but my formal training is in education and electrical work.  Good to see you again Mike. We are still working on the project I contacted you about.  The product is in final testing and we are ramping up for production.  I had to switch PLC's to a European brand that handles residential control much better.  Fun stuff.  The Covid thingy has set us back about six months in production time now.  One of my contacts is stuck and can't get back to the US. 

10 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Trump gave his support to the Hispanic Educational Excellence thing, originally that was President H.W. Bush's thing.

2. Do we also mostly agree that Hispanic students apparently have their own barriers with education, that has kept them from achieving parity with other ethnic groups of students? (Food for thought, I was one of my high school's National Hispanic Scholars and my grades were absolute shit in high school, bad enough to be academically ineligible for track one season, and wrestling another season. Yet even with my shit grades, I still won the $100 scholarship.)

3. Hispanic students seem to have their own set of challenges in school, and yet there is tremendous opportunity in the USA to produce really sharp, highly-educated Hispanic students, especially as a link to the USA increasingly becoming integrated into the economy of Latin America. (Miami is nicknamed "The Capital of Latin America.)

4. How important is it that Trump apparently backed this thing to get Hispanic votes? Do his ulterior motives matter if effective legislation is signed?

5. Goya's involvement here is there own business, they're not a public institution, and the impact to their products, markets and owners are their own problem, obviously. I've never been a Goya guy, I prefer Kuner's, but Goya is the 600 lbs. gorilla of the Latin Food industry, they have a huge following across Latin America.

6. Does it make sense for lefties to boycott Goya and potentially alienate the Latin American community for a fundamentally sound decision by President Trump? In boycotting Goya, the message we send is "We hate Trump so much that we're willing to burn down the future of Hispanic Educational Excellence in the USA." Is that a smart position, or a profoundly misguided one?

7. Cuban Americans (especially) are relatively conservative voters in the USA, but there are others, especially from South America who have their own histories with oppressive regimes, and for better or worse, often embrace Conservative politicians. Given that, is this best us Lefties can do? Bitching like a bunch of whipped puppies because President Trump did something smart? We have far more to offer Latinos and Hispanics than the Righties. We support fair wages, unions, equitable health insurance, we're willing to keep our policies out of women's reproductive organs. We support immigration reform because we recognize the true value of Latin American immigrants who can add to our economy as citizens, rather than as migrant workers to receive no respect from industry or government. We don't support transitioning our Prison-Industries to move from the Drug War to the Immigration War. Us Lefties have a lot to offer Hispanic and Latino voters, way more than a reboot of President Bush's educational excellence program. So if Trump is willing to do OUR work for us, what's the problem? The more the better, let's just make sure he doesn't take any of our voters.

8.  Do we all agree that Trump should use the Oval Office as his own version of the Home Shopping Network?  

Mike, Please for FFS, less words, more content.  

10 minutes ago, mikewof said:

2. Do we also mostly agree that Hispanic students apparently have their own barriers with education, that has kept them from achieving parity with other ethnic groups of students? (Food for though, I was one of my high school's Hispanic Scholars and my grades were absolute shit in high school, bad enough to be academically ineligible for track one season, and wrestling another season. Yet even with my shit grades, I still won the $100 scholarship.)

5. Goya's involvement here is there own business, they're not a public institution, and the impact to their products, markets and owners are their own problem, obviously. I've never been a Goya guy, I prefer Kuner's, but Goya is the 600 lbs. gorilla of the Latin Food industry, they have a huge following all over Latin America.

7. Cuban Americans (especially) are relatively conservative voters in the USA, but there are others, especially from South America who have their own histories with oppressive regimes, and for better or worse, often embrace Conservative politicians. Given that, is this best us Lefties can do? Bitching like a bunch of whipped puppies because President Trump did something smart? We have far more to offer Latinos and Hispanics than the Righties. We support fair wages, unions, equitable health insurance, we're willing to keep our policies out of women's reproductive organs. We support immigration reform because we recognize the true value of Latin American immigrants who can add to our economy as citizens, rather than as migrant workers to receive no respect from industry or government. We don't support transitioning our Prison-Industries to move from the Drug War to the Immigration War. Us Lefties have a lot to offer Hispanic and Latino voters, way more than a reboot of President Bush's educational excellence program. So if Trump is willing to do OUR work for us, what's the problem. The more the better, let's just make sure he doesn't take any of our voters.

One of the best Robotics guys I have worked with is Mexican.  He certainly is in support that allows better educational opportunities for anyone willing to do the work, not just Latinos.  

21 minutes ago, plchacker said:

I'm not sure what Selfridge is/was.  Before teaching, my dad was a tool and die maker for Chrysler. We moved South to get away from the downfall of Detroit.  I still have a great deal of friends and family in that area.   I fell in love with sailing on Lake Erie, on the Canadian side.  My Grandmother was Canadian.

Selfridge is a National Guard airfield in the Mt Clemens area.  I grew up on Grosse Ile if you know Lake Erie and at one time knew everybody up the river in LaSalle.  There was a place in Canada we used to sail out of that was crazy.  You lined up on a tree about 300yds offset from the harbor and then would turn left just before running aground.  Crazy.  Looked it up, Cedar Beach.  

Also know the Rondeau area.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, plchacker said:

One of the best Robotics guys I have worked with is Mexican.  He certainly is in support that allows better educational opportunities for anyone willing to do the work, not just Latinos.  

The original program from President H. W. Bush was mostly an educational initiative, very much needed in my opinion, and it didn't hurt anything, as far as I could see. Anytime someone in government wants to pull money from defense and stick it in education, I'll rarely have a problem with it.

Trump's reboot is just a name change, I assume the structure of the initiative is the same, it just reauthorizes it.

31 minutes ago, plchacker said:

Thanks, but it is electricians, not engineers.  I work in an engineering group, but my formal training is in education and electrical work.  

That's a very honest statement.  The last thing I want is for an engineer to be doing technician-type work.  We suck at it and some of them are true artists.  

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

:wacko: I’ve worked with multiple technicians that had an engineering degree (bachelors level) they did pretty well, mostly in the R&D or small scale production side of things. This might be an age thing regarding changes in education. 

I did as well, some EEs took to the computer and did signal processing for me others enjoyed the lab work, but I had a technician that was truly an artist.  When he opened a box for the first time, there was a moment of silence.  Me, I have the tools, not the skills.  I can fix extension cords.  

My work was handsomely funded and when we built a radar, we might buy a dozen components knowing we only needed 3 and then would test each one and select the best.  In the 80's, the funding was obscene.  In the 90's, really dirty.  and then after 9/11, just PG.

54 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

8.  Do we all agree that Trump should use the Oval Office as his own version of the Home Shopping Network?  

Mike, Please for FFS, less words, more content.  

As usual it is being taken out of context.  He didn't promote the product to get any rewards he promoted it in response to the left calling for a boycott simply because the CEO of Goya said something nice about Trump.  
More of a  hey if you lefties are going to try and hurt this company because the CEO praised me.  I’m going to promote his product to offset any damage your boycott might cause.  Same for Ivanka.  

4 minutes ago, The Joker said:

As usual it is being taken out of context.  He didn't promote the product to get any rewards he promoted it in response to the left calling for a boycott simply because the CEO of Goya said something nice about Trump.  
More of a  hey if you lefties are going to try and hurt this company because the CEO praised me.  I’m going to promote his product to offset any damage your boycott might cause.  Same for Ivanka.  

Seriously, do you believe what you just wrote?  

I'm not anti-GOP, I'm anti Trump.  

I think that at this time that anyone who praises Trump given the nation's current health and economic condition, should be committed.  

8 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Too bad, that in Ivanka's case, it broke the law.

35 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Brought to you by Carl's jr. Or Brawndo, it's what plants crave.

42 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Seriously, do you believe what you just wrote?  

I'm not anti-GOP, I'm anti Trump.  

I think that at this time that anyone who praises Trump given the nation's current health and economic condition, should be committed.  

Decent chance the Joke is posting from a hospital for the mentally infirm.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Because it's important that we protect the commercial value of the Presidency, and of course the revenue stream generated by being the President's nose-n-boob-job daughter.

THAT's freedom dammit!

- DSK

2 hours ago, plchacker said:

Hey!  One of my best friends in elementary school was Black!!!  He seemed like an OK kid.  Does that count?

5 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Has Trump ever met any standard of proper behaviour?

He rarely farts in church. 

Of course, he is rarely in church, so this may not be a huge feather in his cap.