Old teak and holly sole

Trying to find replacement teak and holly cabin sole for old boat.. teak is 2-1/8" width, holly is 3/8".  0.75" thick.  Seems tough to find, anyone have any leads?  Newer soles don't match those widths of the teak and holly strips.

3 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Are you looking for faux ply or hardwood materials?  Custom mill runs are not that bad.  For the teak side you are not getting into longer lengths so probably isn't that bad.

Personally if I absolutely had to match it I would just make my own. With a bandsaw and decent planer you could get something like 3/16" strips and just bond them onto a 6mm substrate (sending the stock through the jointer first probably wouldn't hurt either). Would add a couple days onto your project but you could make it look nice as hell.

Alternatively just replace all the soles and they automatically match - presto!

7 hours ago, Breamerly said:

Personally if I absolutely had to match it I would just make my own. With a bandsaw and decent planer you could get something like 3/16" strips and just bond them onto a 6mm substrate (sending the stock through the jointer first probably wouldn't hurt either). Would add a couple days onto your project but you could make it look nice as hell.

I doubt it would be possible to match it - it's probably old growth teak or unobtanium as it is now called.

Plantation teak is not the same thing at all - fast grown, colourless and expensive.

9 hours ago, Breamerly said:

Exactly right.  My boat has cherry/holly veneer on foam. One piece was lost to time, and one was needed to cover the hole for the dinette table. I cut strips of holly off a thin plank, and glued into a routed groove in cherry. Kept it all pretty thin, backed it with balsa. This is the test fit before finishing.

The finish darkened the holly a bit to a close match, cherry will darken with time.

IMG_1183.jpg

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I doubt it would be possible to match it - it's probably old growth teak or unobtanium as it is now called.

Eh I was really referring to matching pattern, not coloring - ime there's a lot more variation you can get away with it the latter than the former, especially if the pieces have any physical/visual separation. But you're right the color would be harder to match

27 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

and glued into a routed groove in cherry.

Lmao this is so much better/less labor intensive than what I had suggested. Like, "hey Bob, you know we have this axe, right? You don't have to split that firewood with your teeth..."

25 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

7 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

Eh I was really referring to matching pattern, not coloring - ime there's a lot more variation you can get away with it the latter than the former, especially if the pieces have any physical/visual separation. But you're right the color would be harder to match

Lmao this is so much better/less labor intensive than what I had suggested. Like, "hey Bob, you know we have this axe, right? You don't have to split that firewood with your teeth..."

Well, to be fair this was my 2nd approach. My first was to somehow get 1/42" veneer to line up in a vacuum press. That wasn't very successful....

Been there.  Had to replace the floorboards on 35 year old Racer Cruiser in NZ.  

Holly and Teak is expensive and stock / supply is a challenge.  The other problem is rest of the teak in the boat will have faded and weathered and new teak is not going to match.  The new teak will look much darker. 

So here's my approach.  Tried a couple of other Marine ply samples and Meranti wasn't too bad.  A little bit darker / reddish than teak interior.   Thought I'd try to paint some lines as a nod to the old school Holy and Teak look. 

Here's the Process.... 

• Take the original floorboards and trace with a router with router bit and bearing / I used 10mm.  Simple, just take your time.  You want to line up the floor boards and grain.  
  • Marked out the exact location of the Holy Lines with a pencil.  They all line up, so this needs to be accurate.
  • 4 seal coats of Norski Epoxy Timber Sealer
  • Sanded and cleaned. 
  • Mask up the "Holy Lines" with masking tape.  I used a few and found ScotchBlue Sharp Lines to be the best.   You wanna get this right.
  • Painted the Holy Lines with 2 Pack White Under-coat.  
  • Try to get the White Lines done in a couple of days, otherwise the masking tape will be a PITA with residue.
  • Varnish 6 coats.  For the varnish I used a Satin Single Pack I've used in the interior already.  I seems to be tough enough.  

Done.  Looks clean and in keeping with the age of the boat.... 

Cheers

Floor1.thumb.jpg.cf61036dd58c3b2cecea517ba98d9c86.jpg

120200509_124300.jpg

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Sudden5869 said:

Been there.  Had to replace the floorboards on 35 year old Racer Cruiser in NZ.  

Holly and Teak is expensive and stock / supply is a challenge.  The other problem is rest of the teak in the boat will have faded and weathered and new teak is not going to match.  The new teak will look much darker. 

So here's my approach.  Tried a couple of other Marine ply samples and Meranti wasn't too bad.  A little bit darker / reddish than teak interior.   Thought I'd try to paint some lines as a nod to the old school Holy and Teak look. 

Here's the Process.... 

• Take the original floorboards and trace with a router with router bit and bearing / I used 10mm.  Simple, just take your time.  You want to line up the floor boards and grain.  
  • Marked out the exact location of the Holy Lines with a pencil.  They all line up, so this needs to be accurate.
  • 4 seal coats of Norski Epoxy Timber Sealer
  • Sanded and cleaned. 
  • Mask up the "Holy Lines" with masking tape.  I used a few and found ScotchBlue Sharp Lines to be the best.   You wanna get this right.
  • Painted the Holy Lines with 2 Pack White Under-coat.  
  • Try to get the White Lines done in a couple of days, otherwise the masking tape will be a PITA with residue.
  • Varnish 6 coats.  For the varnish I used a Satin Single Pack I've used in the interior already.  I seems to be tough enough.  

Done.  Looks clean and in keeping with the age of the boat.... 

Cheers

Floor1.thumb.jpg.cf61036dd58c3b2cecea517ba98d9c86.jpg

120200509_124300.jpg

Looks good.

@bgytr I forget, what's your location?

Near Annapolis, we have a place called Exotic Lumbers. They carry teak and holly veneer marine plywood in the thickness that you're looking for, as well as other thicknesses. A huge sheet ran me $240.

My entire sole was rotted out so I was spared the tedium of matching the strips. I replaced *everything*. Perhaps you should replace all of it rather than trying to match new with old?

If Annapolis is too far, what about this place?

https://www.worldpanel.com/cabin-sole-options

18 hours ago, Ajax said:

@bgytr I forget, what's your location?

Near Annapolis, we have a place called Exotic Lumbers. They carry teak and holly veneer marine plywood in the thickness that you're looking for, as well as other thicknesses. A huge sheet ran me $240.

My entire sole was rotted out so I was spared the tedium of matching the strips. I replaced *everything*. Perhaps you should replace all of it rather than trying to match new with old?

If Annapolis is too far, what about this place?

https://www.worldpanel.com/cabin-sole-options

Yup I went there actually this past Saturday and got a quarter sheet of teak faced marine ply.  The 2 small pieces I am replacing are around the mast.  The holly strips (or whatever they are) are still ok from the old pieces and pretty thick so I'm thinkin I might route a groove in the ply and epoxy the holly strips in

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got the boards finished, the 2 boards at the base of the mast.   Got the teak faced marine plywood at Annapolis exotic woods and some maple strips from a basket making place online.  Cut some grooves and epoxied the strips in.  Sanded the boards smooth, and coated with a layer of epoxy.

One matches really well, the other has a bit of color mismatch.  Not sure why, both boards were adjacent on the original plywood.  The only thing I can think of is the second board I heated before the final epoxy coat to thin the epoxy a bit and somehow that changed the color a little.  It also made the resin glossier.  Maybe it will wear in with time.  Not perfect, but it will have to do for now.

20200905_175642_copy_655x1164.jpg

• Like 5
11 hours ago, IStream said:

Good enough! On to the next item on the list...

Yup.. yesterday and today did 2 winches, redid my mast boot, stripped some cockpit coaming varnish, fixed hanging locker door, installed a nav table storage shelf, re-bedded the centerboard cable through deck fitting.   The list keeps going... but fun messing around on the boat.  Keeps me from smokin crack.

13 hours ago, bgytr said:

Yup.. yesterday and today did 2 winches, redid my mast boot, stripped some cockpit coaming varnish, fixed hanging locker door, installed a nav table storage shelf, re-bedded the centerboard cable through deck fitting.   The list keeps going... but fun messing around on the boat.  Keeps me from smokin crack.

Nice job! But honestly smoking crack might be cheaper if a touch less family friendly. 

• 1 month later...

I refinished my parents solid teak n holly floor 20 years ago. Went through a lot of discs of the DA.  It came out really nice, they forgot what it had looked like. Most areas have a specialty wood supplier for high end builders/contractors. Ask a finishing carpenter or cabinet maker on one of the local mansions, he will tell you where to get the good stuff.

for future consideration dept:  

If a small repair check about the boat as builders sometimes reuse scraps to keep costs down.

On Sabres, when you need to patch teak your teak n holly, you pull out one of the drawers and turn it upside down.

Presto!, the bottom is long rectangular piece of the same teak and holly plywood.  swap a piece of plywood into the drawer bottom, you now have have a perfect repair piece for the floor.