How is this thread different then the Absolutely, Positively Laser thread? Although it is another vehicle for Tiller and Wes to make their ILCA remarks.

For which we never grow tired... 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

How is this thread different then the Absolutely, Positively Laser thread? Although it is another vehicle for Tiller and Wes to make their ILCA remarks.

For which we never grow tired... 

Good question. 

Why are there so many Laser threads?

Most of them don't seem to have any real purpose other than to provide a vehicle for Bill and Robbie to talk about the grass roots on their lawns.

LCNGrassRootsmin.jpeg

Where's my lawnmower when I need him?

• Like 2
Just now, tillerman said:

Good question. 

Most of them don't seem to have any real purpose other than to provide a vehicle for Bill and Robbie to talk about the grass roots on their lawns.

LCNGrassRootsmin.jpeg

Where's my lawnmower when I need him?

Stay off my lawn!

38 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You are as fast a draw as Clint!

Clint's not so fast in real life any more.

The question is whether he will make a rambling, incoherent speech to a chair in Jacksonville this year.

5 hours ago, tillerman said:

Good question. 

And you and Wess would be the pesky dandelions.

See the source image
  • Like 3

Don't people have sailing to do? 

Call them Petunia if you want but go out sail some. Come post about some technique question, tuning,  repair, gear you wanna install. Something related to actual sailing.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

Call them Petunia if you want but go out sail some. Come post about some technique question, tuning,  repair, gear you wanna install. Something related to actual sailing.

+1 

All these threads about internal class politics have brought a long forgotten tune back to my mind

DRC

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

Good point. 

I remember some time way way back in the early days of the Interwebs - it might even have been before SA if there was such a time - somebody complained about some aspect of Laser class politics on a sailing forum, and they were admonished to go off and start a separate thread about Laser class politics. It made sense at the time.

The politics discussion is still going on, but there don't seem to be many threads any more about things like how to repair a leaky Laser or which is the best kind of Laser tiller.

Meanwhile the UFO guys have an excellent thread full of excellent (but totally incomprehensible to me) questions such as 

"Would it also be an idea to fill the cavity/ies in the rear foil (after removing the black rubber stopper at the bottom near the foil vertical)? The reason I ask is that I noticed a lot of water collecting in the rear foil (it seems to enter via the black rubber stopper) and it takes ages to empty (even when blowing in the ventilation hole at the top to apply pressure)?"

and advice such as...

"Strop is wedging up the track. Frustrating. Push the track back down and add more plexus. Take a square file to the inside of the gap and square off the gap in the track where the stop bears to cut down the wedging action."

Meanwhile people are starting threads with meaningless titles like "Absolutely Positively Laser" or "Laser Anarchy"  which inevitable degenerate into insulting people by calling them "lawnmowers" or "dandelions."

What does it all mean?

Are real people actually sailing Lasers any more or are they all sailing UFOs?

Or perhaps the real discussions about Laser technique and Laser repair have migrated to some other homes on the dark web?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

I've posted lots on sailing. Sail with 20+ Lasers on Thursday nights. All the answers are there - no need to post. Rigging, repairing, technique - you name it. That's the beauty of fleet racing - it is a real community where people share things - gasp - in person! And in a Laser, the ONLY way you go faster than others is to sail the boat better. And the ONLY way you sail better is to sail more. Of course you need your boat to be up to date, but there is no skill or imagination in that whatsoever with a Laser/ILCA. Pure copy cat. And not much breaks. I would say I spend a couple hours a year "fixing" my Laser. 

• Like 1