Jump to content

Around the World on a craigslist 3k Cal 27


Recommended Posts

God bless him for trying indeed. Obviously at the bottom end of a steep learning curve, but the fact that he's honest about that, and mentions plans to learn how to sail *before leaving, seems promising. Looks like the boat came potentially a little bit better set-up than your average 3k4ksb, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Um,

okay, a dreamer who’s going to sharpen his heretofore zero sailing knowledge And skills by singlehandling it on the Outer Banks during Hurricane season?  With his standing rigging having how many years/decades on it?

I hope he succeeds.  Mostly because I feel for the Coasties who would otherwise have to risk it to save him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, most of these attempts are pathetic at best, but in this case I am slightly sympathetic: the guy first of all acknowledges that this is not going to be a walk in the park. He knows he needs to learn a lot, that he is financially in a poor situation, and that the sea is a dangerous place.  Secondly, he wants to live a life that is worth living. That means taking some risks and he is fine with that. Thirdly I don't see any attempt at GoFundMe. 

I don't know the guy. If I did I might have a very different opinion, but for now, I hope he will succeed somehow. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! A tracker.

Should someone alert him that the Inca’s Machu Pichu is not a sailing destination. Nor is it an Aztec thing...odd that he thinks of those things rather than, say, Easter Island or Patagonia or coral reefs...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like an episode from one of these survival shows. Everyone starts out happy and optimistic and then when the sh***t hits the fan they realize they are in something big. Hard to say oops and tap out when you are in the middle of the ocean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I have been amazed at the lack of sailing skill by most cruisers, especially the permanent cruisers.

Of course, many permanent cruisers have LOTS of skill.

But in my experience, most are just persistent, not good. Most are naive. The proof is in the number of boats essentially abandoned along the round-the-world route. Panama is classic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many adventurers can we tie together into one package for Hollywood to make a docu-drama?

Sacred Sideslipping a heart shape on the ocean in your Home Depot built vessel, we find our hermaphrodite being potentially/possibly/dreamily savaged by fishermen pirates named Jen and whatshername.

Sadly the Tin Can mainsheet was frayed beyond repair, so drifting from Russia to Canada in a stylish stripped sailor shirt and matching cap was the plan.  Stupid Gomer the abuser was dumped mid-atlantic for fish-food with sash weights in his "what are the best boots to buy?"

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Windward said:

How many adventurers can we tie together into one package for Hollywood to make a docu-drama?

Sacred Sideslipping a heart shape on the ocean in your Home Depot built vessel, we find our hermaphrodite being potentially/possibly/dreamily savaged by fishermen pirates named Jen and whatshername.

Sadly the Tin Can mainsheet was frayed beyond repair, so drifting from Russia to Canada in a stylish stripped sailor shirt and matching cap was the plan.  Stupid Gomer the abuser was dumped mid-atlantic for fish-food with sash weights in his "what are the best boots to buy?"

 

Let’s not forget Hot Rod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, carcrash said:

I have been amazed at the lack of sailing skill by most cruisers, especially the permanent cruisers.

Of course, many permanent cruisers have LOTS of skill.

But in my experience, most are just persistent, not good. Most are naive. The proof is in the number of boats essentially abandoned along the round-the-world route. Panama is classic.

Some would rather abandon a boat than a marriage.

Idiots.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jstadnik said:

“We’re the generation who grew up watching Jerry Springer. Now we are Jerry Springer. Well, you can have it. I’m done,” :lol:

Funny guy... I wish him the best of luck!

 

What sort of parents would let their kids watch that trash.

No different than giving them the National Enquirer as a newspaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 12:55 PM, SloopJonB said:

What sort of parents would let their kids watch that trash.

No different than giving them the National Enquirer as a newspaper.

I agree, it is a trash show... and parents shouldn't allow their kids to watch it (if it's even still on, not sure)... but I don't take it so seriously... it was a funny comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...