Ocean is cold. Hot tub is hot.

But I've always wondered about sailing yachts (usually superyachts) with hot tubs or pools: do they drain those each time they get underway and then have to refill them, or is there some incredibly strong seal/cover that can hold 2,000 pounds of water sloshing around at 12° of heel in a swell?

Wondering the same thing myself. I saw the boat online  and thought it might make a good charter boat. When I finally realized it had a hot tub I wondered why they would waste so much deck space. I’ve seen them without...

I once had a business lunch on a motor yacht with a hot tub up high.  It did have a pump and holding tank for passages.  The owner was very pleased with the solution. This was 20 years ago and I haven't been on any other similar big boats to compare. 

17 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I saw this boat and it intrigued me for some weird reason. Do you really need a hot tub?

37174079-0F23-4F7E-82A1-58234012FA37.jpeg

Thoughtful touch that the primaries can be operated without leaving the tub.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, breezetrees said:

I once had a business lunch on a motor yacht with a hot tub up high.

Probably not a good idea.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I saw this boat and it intrigued me for some weird reason. Do you really need a hot tub?

37174079-0F23-4F7E-82A1-58234012FA37.jpeg

No, you don't "need" a hot tub. But does anybody "need" a sailboat? (Rhetorical question.)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

Ocean is cold. Hot tub is hot.

But I've always wondered about sailing yachts (usually superyachts) with hot tubs or pools: do they drain those each time they get underway and then have to refill them, or is there some incredibly strong seal/cover that can hold 2,000 pounds of water sloshing around at 12° of heel in a swell?

We used to drain by gravity down to a holding tank in the engine room and keep it warm while stored. That's  where we'd add/monitor the chemicals & PH too... (Was a big boat!) As soon as the hook went down, we'd pump it back up again... just in case our masters felt like a Jacuzzi with their cocktails...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, charisma94 said:

We used to drain by gravity down to a holding tank in the engine room and keep it warm while stored. That's  where we'd add/monitor the chemicals & PH too... (Was a big boat!) As soon as the hook went down, we'd pump it back up again... just in case our masters felt like a Jacuzzi with their cocktails...

So it's dual purpose water ballast.

• Like 2

Found out that the boat may have been Irwin’s personal boat. It’s in nice shape but what a waste of space unless you store fenders and other gear in the hot tub.

I think I’m going to pass on this one unless I find a couple of young hot girls to live aboard with me. 

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

OK, tub tacked ... so it's Lee oh

Over here we say “Hard a Lee!”

A whole extra syllable to convey nothing extra. who came up with that idea?

No wonder nobody ever heard of y'all again after you escaped from the rule of that mad, inbred German in London.

;)  

This line of Irish wound up in Philadelphia where they still say you’se instead of you as a singular or plural. 

To me: Where are you’se goin’?

To us as a group: where are you’se guys goin’?

• Like 1

Hell...I've always put my hatch boards in and pumped water from my 40 gallon water tank into the cockpit.  When done (no peeing)...pump back into the water tank.  Hence, you conserve water.  I only do this when the sea water temperature is below 50 degrees.

• 7 months later...

Posted July 21, 2020

Found out that the boat may have been Irwin’s personal boat. It’s in nice shape but what a waste of space unless you store fenders and other gear in the hot tub.
I think I’m going to pass on this one unless I find a couple of young hot girls to live aboard with me. 

"Seabrook" never was Ted Irwin's personal boat. I have been Lucky enough to be able use her for the last 30 years. She was a misfit since the day she was taken out of the mold. Around 1985 Irwin had a bad Fiberglass supervisor many boats had bad layup's. Seabrook is one of them many 1/8" holes were drilled in the hull and resin injected to try and repair the bad dry layup from the chopper gun and delamination and we have proved in the past few weeks that the injection did no good. She is going through a major rebuilding and refit.

We are removing the outer skin, then removing the foam. Then one layer of heavy bidirectional cloth is laid up on inner skin, then foam is vacuum bagged on the inner skin, then 2 more layers of cloth are vacuum bagged, till the entire hull is done in sections, then 3 more layers of cloth continuous over the length of the boat are glassed on, lots of flat boarding all the time then a first class paint job with clear coat.

Mast's have had hood in mast furling removed and welded up, tracks installed for Leisure Furl Booms, harken electric roller furling jib and staysail, all new rod rigging, harken rewind jib winches all with wireless control, 2 radars, cellular and wifi antennas, up lights etc......

Of course Hot Tub is getting all new plumbing.

Maybe i will start a new thread with the repair process. With pictures

I found out quickly 30 years ago that the only place for us to go @ Catalina Island was Cat Harbor anchored under the bench on the east side. It was the only place the water would not splash out constantly which was hard to keep up with over a weekend even with water maker running all day.

Some of the best trips have been in August when the shooting stars are happing. Laying in the 104 degree f fresh water hot tub then jumping in the phosphorescence ocean water then back in the hot tub. Does not get much better...!

Scott

Scotts Marine Services

P.S. We do store things in the hot tub when it is not in use as a HOT TUB.......

Hell...I've always put my hatch boards in and pumped water from my 40 gallon water tank into the cockpit.  When done (no peeing)...pump back into the water tank.  Hence, you conserve water.  I only do this when the sea water temperature is below 50 degrees.

WHOOOOOOO I never would even consider drinking hot tub water....

post-43488-127577324665_thumb.jpgpost-43488-127577341625_thumb.jpgpost-43488-127577464397_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Almost impossible to stop the splashing. I toss a couple oars, 300 ft of 3/4 line and at least one kitchen sink in mine and it still splashed when resonance arrives. I finally figured out that the impulse associated with a single boat passing results in the wave train continuously sweeping the frequency domain from the first quick waves to a very long period. So every wake eventually matches the resonant frequency and it slurps out. 

I think the price was low, had swamped in St.Petersburg while the owner was away and the engine and generator were shot. 
Good luck with the project Steve, and I’m glad there’s a pic of girls in the tub!

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I think the price was low, had swamped in St.Petersburg while the owner was away and the engine and generator were shot. 

The boat has been in California since 1989 no swamping known of except for the TV movie "Two came back".

Still has original Perkins engine.

The boat has been owned by one owner since 1989.

Just think about it the chance of chain plate failure is much less than 1%.

99.9% chance of no failure. 

Just be careful driving on freeways.

I think your yacht may be a different one. The one I started the thread about was a boat that was on the Cooper Specialty Salvage website last year. It allegedly had been at the same marina for the past 3 decades as a live aboard and had partially submerged while the owner was out of town.

The topsides are white. I’ll do a Google Earth search of the marina and see if I m remembering correctly.

Either way, the project looks like it’s going to be a tremendous success!

4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I think your yacht may be a different one. The one I started the thread about was a boat that was on the Cooper Specialty Salvage website last year. It allegedly had been at the same marina for the past 3 decades as a live aboard and had partially submerged while the owner was out of town.

The topsides are white. I’ll do a Google Earth search of the marina and see if I m remembering correctly.

Either way, the project looks like it’s going to be a tremendous success!

You may be correct i do not think we have that metal louvered vent i will check today. it sure looks exactly the same with the same dingy and life raft missing cushion etc....Seabrook has always had blue Topsides.

I do not see it on the Cooper site now somebody must have bought it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Scott

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

This is the boat I was referring to.

E284AF2B-3474-4280-890A-C0CF540BACBA.jpeg

I Think you are Correct.....!!!

not sure it was Ted's boat though:

Ted Irwin was still cruising in the Florida Keys aboard his own 68 footer, Distant Drummer, into his 70s. 

see the Ted Irwin Story below:

http://www.irwinyachts.com/Irwin_Story/ted-irwin.html

There were not too many 68's with hot tubs I am not sure of the exact number but out of 6000 Irwin boats and 50 65's and 68's I think there may only be about 5 68's with hot tubs.

Lady Rebel was auctioned off last July. After the boats are sold from Cooper Specialty the listing is removed. I recall that the interior was in very good shape. 

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Speaking of tubs, remember the Irwin 10/4? 25' X 10'.

image.thumb.png.6116922eb968e08a537b981cca5ce459.png

A steering wheel in a 25-footer?

Where is the god of vengeance when you need him and his thunderbolts?

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, SMSScott said:

The boat has been in California since 1989 no swamping known of except for the TV movie "Two came back".

Still has original Perkins engine.

The boat has been owned by one owner since 1989.

Just think about it the chance of chain plate failure is much less than 1%.

99.9% chance of no failure. 

Just be careful driving on freeways.

Is that per day, per hour or per wave?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 2:37 PM, Bull City said:

Speaking of tubs, remember the Irwin 10/4? 25' X 10'.

image.thumb.png.6116922eb968e08a537b981cca5ce459.png

They used the mold of the 10/4 to build the hot tub on the 68