Fantastic masts, and where to find them

When I worked at a boat yard office, we had a couple of sisters that owned several wooden boats. Big classic boats.
They had a company up in the Seattle area make a mast. They got this huge tree from Idaho and made a solid one piece masterpiece.
I cannot remember the name of the company but someone might.

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

At the risk of running aground, ill ask a specific question as requested

Where to find/cut down/construct a 22m wooden mast?

Hay if ist foire a steelle boate juste use telephone polles licke Monteissier on Joshua.  Ussed TPs our plennifulle.   New ounes go to Atlantic Timberes.             :)

4 hours ago, Temptation said:

Most people with wooded boat questions over the years, I believe have taken my advise, a 5 gallon gas can and a match gets rid of most all problems.

Carpenter ants work well, but it takes much longer to get rid of the problem 

2 hours ago, See Level said:

They're all over the place, just chose a nice one. Some even already have the spreaders attached.

You jest, but in BC I have seen some home built boats with masts that look very suspiciously like a power pole.

28 minutes ago, Zonker said:
2 hours ago, See Level said:

They're all over the place, just chose a nice one. Some even already have the spreaders attached.

You jest, but in BC I have seen some home built boats with masts that look very suspiciously like a power pole.

Who wase jokeng?  SL wase reacteng my poeste aboute Monteissier useng telephone polles on Joshua.                                                 :)

Off the top of my head.  Fremantle, Port Fairy and Manly all have stands of trees planted specifically for this purpose.  I believe if you loose a spar at sea it is acceptable to send the crew ashore in your long boat to cut one down and shape it to your needs.

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Off the top of my head.  Fremantle, Port Fairy and Manly all have stands of trees planted specifically for this purpose.  I believe if you loose a spar at sea it is acceptable to send the crew ashore in your long boat to cut one down and shape it to your needs.

I always wondered about the random assortment of Norfolk Island Pines scattered through Fremantle and Rottnest. That explains it. 

16 minutes ago, Swanno said:

I always wondered about the random assortment of Norfolk Island Pines scattered through Fremantle and Rottnest. That explains it. 

You need to get yourself along the the maritime museum for some old school learning...

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Thank you for that nugget. How tall they do they grow?

On 7/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, Temptation said:

Thank you. Thats an idea I have entertained before, but wondering if anyone has information in the far east

I’m in NJ

On 7/20/2020 at 3:33 PM, jesposito said:
23 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Who wase jokeng?  SL wase reacteng my poeste aboute Monteissier useng telephone polles on Joshua.                                                 :)

When the boom broke on Marilee in 2001 or so while racing Cowes Week, a Frenchman had a telephone pole rigged and hanging on the mast the following morning, allowing them to sweep the overall Classic division. 

23 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They come with alloy spars.

image.png.289b809c06c7075ee35444d0406995f9.png

Is that a Hallberg Rassy?

On 7/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, Meat Wad said:

When I worked at a boat yard office, we had a couple of sisters that owned several wooden boats. Big classic boats.
They had a company up in the Seattle area make a mast. They got this huge tree from Idaho and made a solid one piece masterpiece.
I cannot remember the name of the company but someone might.

There's a SA member that works in a boat yard in Bellingham Washington, usually hangs out in CA (where this question should have actually been posted) I'm sorry I can't remember his screen time right now, Mr. Perry might know who I'm talking about.

*edit*

found him....send a PM to viktor

21 hours ago, Swanno said:

IIRC Norfolk pine is NOT suitable for spars

• Like 1
6 hours ago, hobot said:

There's a SA member that works in a boat yard in Bellingham Washington, usually hangs out in CA (where this question should have actually been posted) I'm sorry I can't remember his screen time right now, Mr. Perry might know who I'm talking about.

*edit*

found him....send a PM to viktor

Thanks guys ))

On 7/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, Temptation said:

What kind of boat is it? Is the mast a replacement or is this a "I want to build a boat" dream? A solid wood mast on anything other then a tall ship is not going to work. I'm assuming a 22m mast is going on a boat 22m or less? Most wooden spars for pleasure boats are hollow and constructed of regular strips of lumber 

• Like 1

A real 8 stave Douglas fir mast with internal blocking top and bottom with a pvc tube wire run the whole length could handle much compression yet not be freestanding and need spreaders and a jackstay.

I built a few massive wooden spars but T won’t know since he has me on ignore:lol:

• Like 2
On 7/20/2020 at 8:20 PM, Temptation said:

Thank you. Thats an idea I have entertained before, but wondering if anyone has information in the far east

You couldn’t afford the shipping costs.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:58 AM, Ed Lada said:

Don't forget the 'Pine Barrens'.

You people are 'weird'.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2020 at 5:41 AM, mgs said:

There’s a kids book about the kings broad arrow with some great drawings of how the pine trunks were put between decks  Also explained why New England towns had rounded road intersections...

Didn’t know that was a kids book...shit

I bought it at the wooden boat store a few years ago. Great book and illustrations.   

On 7/22/2020 at 11:58 AM, Ed Lada said:

Don't forget the 'Pine Barrens'.

Those hot steamy pine barrens give us our sea breeze! Heat from the pines goes straight up and sucks in air off the ocean like an air conditioned vacuum!!! Steady 12-15 all afternoon!!

• Like 1
On 7/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, Temptation said:

For a kid’s play platform?

Why not an aluminum light pole? Doesn’t rust and you can drill the shit out of and screw anything you want to it. 

dumass can’t even read this ‘cause I’m on his ever growing ignore list. He’s almost at 100 

15 hours ago, Temptation said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, but this is a kids play structure that will have many things screwed to it )

and I guess wood doesnt rust as fast 

Actually, you shouldn’t be near kids or any humans, fucko.

16 hours ago, Temptation said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, but this is a kids play structure that will have many things screwed to it )

and I guess wood doesnt rust as fast 

It rots quicker than steel.

I have more then one to choose from in the spar shed. The boss grabbed them before a salvage company cut them up.

They are all for sale. PM me for details and pics if you’re  interested. Located on City Island NY

On 7/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, sledracr said:

thick-forest.jpg.a24d9b756d138bdf142969a34bf69596.jpg

The high quality timber comes from the highest quality saw mill.  supplier

These suppliers X-ray the raw log , determine interior condition then cut the log to best utilize the defect free timber 

you must ask  around to find a high quality supplier 

On 7/25/2020 at 5:47 AM, Temptation said:

-snip- Yes, but this is a kids play structure that will have many things screwed to it ) -snip-

I think if you started the thread with this little nugget of information, you might have gotten much better answers to your question.  

2 hours ago, slug zitski said:

These suppliers X-ray the raw log , determine interior condition then cut the log to best utilize the defect free timber 

Well, I have to admit they should get some kind of award for using the music they did.  I never thought a virtual view of a log being sawed into lumber would get my heart racing!

Very cool technology, I wonder how much it all costs.