Reefing Loose Foot Main

The reefing setup on a Capri 22 is shown below and includes a second reefing line attached to an eye strap on the boom and run through a "flattening grommet" then back along the same path as the regular reefing line.

1126805042_Capri22BoomDrawing.jpg.74cbd0843589312e505c1009b082ffb3.jpg

My boat came with a loose footed sail made by Quantum and does not have the flattening grommet. I'm wondering if my reefing line should be rigged any differently than a non- loose footed sail? Just run my reefing line from the eye strap on the boom through the reef gromme at the top of the photo then to the sheave at the back of the boom? What is the purpose of the second grommet along the foot of the sail just forwar ot the grommet at the clew?

clew.thumb.jpg.0ead7126ec56ed492aa77b5d24013786.jpg

I know the slug should be in the track I just have it flying for better visibility.

TIA.

My first thought on the small grommet was for a foot cord on a loose footed sail.  Then looking closer (maybe I am seeing things) the foot looks like it has a bolt rope intended to follow along with the slug in the boom.

Reefing should work either way.  

2 minutes ago, jordanseriesdrogue said:

if you put the boat rope in the track

Bingo! The PO swore this sail was meant to be flown loose footed despite the bolt rope. Using the grommet as you describe instead of making fast to the eye strap on one side nails it down. Thanks.

The Flattening Reef cringle is not so much a true reef as it is for sail trim in a brisk breeze. Old stretchy sails were cut full size for rating reasons. No sense in making it undersized. They would extend past the boom end or stripe when the outhaul was put on hard. So the cringle was pulled on instead. Also for a Water Reef for reaching in a strong breeze to keep the boom end out of the water. Without a Flattener the other line could be used for a second reef.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

The Flattening Reef cringle is not so much a true reef as it is for sail trim in a brisk breeze. Old stretchy sails were cut full size for rating reasons. No sense in making it undersized. They would extend past the boom end or stripe when the outhaul was put on hard. So the cringle was pulled on instead. Also for a Water Reef for reaching in a strong breeze to keep the boom end out of the water. Without a Flattener the other line could be used for a second reef.

Good post..also ...some sails had..have..a deep broad seam low

And it would negate that

Sobstad sails...main loft..Old Saybrook. did mains w deep broad seam from just above tack to just above clew 

• Like 2

Thanks for the help everyone and for not tearing me to pieces for not going with the obvious bolt rope. Here's a better picture of the whole foot. In addition to the bolt rope I can see now that there is a foot shelf sewn into the sail.

PO must have been screwing with me because I haggled on the price? Probably why he forgot to give me the battens too. But that's another thread.

foot.jpg.2431ce33077c2754869f266bc27050de.jpg

21 hours ago, jordanseriesdrogue said:

Good post..also ...some sails had..have..a deep broad seam low

And it would negate that

Sobstad sails...main loft..Old Saybrook. did mains w deep broad seam from just above tack to just above clew 

I have wondered by what mechanism a flattener actually flattened the sail...thanks.