Break-up Value (Melges 40)

Melges 40 from 2016 (ouch) https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/used/sail/melges/40/35735/

Ad is a bit light on detail but let's say you get it for <€200k, can you make that back on the hardware? I guess none of the gear is 'grand prix' standard any more being 4 years old, but there's got to be some value in the winches, B&G system, carbon rig etc.

Don't forget to factor in all the work needed to remove everything and prep it for sale, and the cost of disposing what you cannot sell. Both of those non trivial I suspect.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, JimC said:

Don't forget to factor in all the work needed to remove everything and prep it for sale, and the cost of disposing what you cannot sell. Both of those non trivial I suspect.

30 yard dumpster rental is cheap, as well as a sawzall and a few cases of blades

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sailman said:

30 yard dumpster rental is cheap, as well as a sawzall and a few cases of blades

Not in the EU where you have to dispose things properly, fiberglass is not domestic waste!

19 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Not in the EU where you have to dispose things properly, fiberglass is not domestic waste!

Don't worry... the original poster won't be in the EU for much longer

• Like 3

So you need to float EURO200k, tear this thing apart, and then haggle on price for each the 100s of bits on ebay and other trading sites? What a strange business model.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Snowden said:

... can you make that back on the hardware?

I guess I'm confused.  is the boat trashed, or structurally unsound, or soggy, or....?

Yeah, no longer competitive at grand-prix level, and nobody in their right mind is going to pay €250k for it. 

But unless I'm missing something, is still a viable boat.  So... why go straight to "destroy it and sell the bits piecemeal"?  Somebody out there - especially in the Med - might be delighted to pick up a fast-looking 40' club-racer or daysailor for€100k....

You can rest easy guys, this is a thought experiment rather than a business plan. Just curious how that €250k asking price stacks up for a boat with a pretty limited target market (I would think).

• Like 1

I imagine it can't be competitive in IRC. Am I right ? Otherwise it could be a relatively cheap way to be at the front with the big boys for those who like this! I am not even sure that you can make her cat 1 for the Fastnet.

Why the price drop, is the Melges 40 class dead?

55 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Why break it up? With some mods the melges 40 might be the most awesome coastal racing platform ever made. 

More than enough Fast 40s and similar platforms on the market to do that (without the complexity of a canting keel) - you could buy this from the same broker for less:

https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/used/sail/ker/40/31500/

7 hours ago, Snowden said:

Melges 40 from 2016 (ouch) https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/used/sail/melges/40/35735/

Ad is a bit light on detail but let's say you get it for <€200k, can you make that back on the hardware? I guess none of the gear is 'grand prix' standard any more being 4 years old, but there's got to be some value in the winches, B&G system, carbon rig etc.

No.

5 hours ago, sailman said:

Okay so I see you have the "removal" part covered, now what about "prepping for sale"?

Also I'm guessing there's not quite the market for used luxury junk as there is for used good/decent junk. Luxury buyers buy new junk, methinks.

Why the fuck would you buy a boat like this and scrap it? The hull won't be toast, neither would the rig & deck gear.

Yes, sails will probably need an update but if you're not racing it at OD/MedCup level you're not going to be needing a new set of 3Di Raw gear every 12 months. So go buy a set of Straits Ice from Doyle and enjoy racing with your mates at club level and local regattas. Sure it will be technical and tweaks as all shit, but half the fun is learning how to make a boat like this perform to it's potential. 

• Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, JimC said:

I've done enough deck refit projects to know that the deck hardware comes off easy, I can do a 45 foot boat with one other person in a day.  It's getting things back on that is time consuming, if you do it right anyway.