Best Trolling Motor Rig For ILCA

As it seems the current rig will soon be obsolete, purchasing a new ILCA with a sailing rig at this time seems like a risky investment. In the meantime, sailors who want to enjoy time on the water need alternatives. 

8060843D-3327-4C58-8D4E-1A595CA7AAB7.jpeg

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

As it seems the current rig will soon be obsolete, purchasing a new ILCA with a sailing rig at this time seems like a risky investment. In the meantime, sailors who want to enjoy time on the water need alternatives. 

8060843D-3327-4C58-8D4E-1A595CA7AAB7.jpeg

Who can use an ILCA trolling rig?

ILCA members?

Real Laser sailors?

Trolls?

If you've ever paddled a Laser hull (say, moving it from dock to dock in a mooring basin), it actually goes best - backwards.

You can stand-in the cockpit, transom facing where you want to go, and then take the top section in the middle, and 'paddle' it around.
Basically, it's like using a normal double ended paddle, by holding the top section in the middle.

Done it a few times when I didn't want to hook up power boat to drag it, or no wind to sail first.
It looks awful, but, the boat is fairly stable when done transom first.

I guess my point in that is, if I had done enough peyote to want to put solar panels and a motor on a derelict Laser hull (presumably to build the worlds cheapest fish killing boat ever).
I would put the motor on the bow with the solar panels - and have the transom face forwards where I want to go.

The real problem with old lasers, that people refuse to address, is that you can get very few plants in that little cockpit. So you lose a lot of lawn for very little additional flowerbed. It means that far more old boats get left cluttering up boat parking spaces at clubs.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, torrid said:

Tillerman,. remember this?

scout-go-transat-autonomous-solar-powere

Yes. This is not a Laser, or even an ILCA, This is SCOUT - a solar-powered autonomous robot boat designed and built by some young students in the town where I live. I wrote about its trials and tribulations on my blog several times in 2013. Th plan was to cross the Atlantic