Hi- I have a Laser with a transom hull number PFS140840374. The cockpit stickers are too faded to read other than Laser and somewhere in Canada. I’ve seen some various explanations so curious if I have this correct:

PFS = Performance Sailing

14084 = sail number

0374 = March, 1974

Thanks in advance for any help! 

S

Do you still have the wooden board? And what color is the hull?

I had a green hull at some point. It was way too heavy and flexible, but it got me back into racing lasers. 

Funny I also had an Elvstrom sail at some point. Forgot how I got it. That was actually still a pretty decent sail. I guess it had not seen that much usage. Never heard of an Elvstrom mainblock. And those bailers are still the standard. A long time ago I had one with a metal flap. Also a pos.

Oh, yes, the sailnumber: I think you got it. Is the laserforum still around? Someone there will know for sure.

9 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Do you still have the wooden board? And what color is the hull?

I had a green hull at some point. It was way too heavy and flexible, but it got me back into racing lasers. 

Funny I also had an Elvstrom sail at some point. Forgot how I got it. That was actually still a pretty decent sail. I guess it had not seen that much usage. Never heard of an Elvstrom mainblock. And those bailers are still the standard. A long time ago I had one with a metal flap. Also a pos.

Oh, yes, the sailnumber: I think you got it. Is the laserforum still around? Someone there will know for sure.

Yep, had wooden cb & rudder.   Got dismasted off Marion and parted it out and got new one.   Hull was a deep yellow.  Built like tank.

Laserforum I’ve been out of touch with.  

For me right now I have an old Finn I’m going to race.   As these things usually go , when I start seeing 30-40 Lasers out hammering while I’m rolling with 4-5 Finns, I’ll start looking at an old Laser.   Too much fun.   Great little boats.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

... dismasted off Marion and parted it out and got new one.   

Actually,  the mast step tube blew out and ripped the deck a fair bit.  Bought the replacement steptube but, that was gnarly looking when done.   

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Actually,  the mast step tube blew out and ripped the deck a fair bit.  Bought the replacement steptube but, that was gnarly looking when done.   

I figured. That replacement thing was ugly indeed. I inherited one and just end up glassing it in. I think my mast was slightly raked fw after that repair, which is actually a bit faster on the laser, but not enough to make up for all the other imperfections.

• 2 weeks later...

Look under the black plastic bow fitting, your sail number should be embossed under there on the deck.

I still have a laser wooden center board from 1974.  We had 2 at the time 9878 and 10316. Should stick it on the wall somewhere when I find a suitable space.