It's my world now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, El Boracho said:

What management angles are you going to take? Overbearing? Laissez-faire? Red tape hell? Recruit a team of Karen Deputies? Cigar-chomping do-nothing stuffed suit?

+1 for Cigar chomping

...so it begins.

Let's clarify the pecking order:  I am not a "board member" of the beach club. I am appointed to the job of Dockmaster by the board.  Thus, I do not get to "vote" on issues, only bring them to the board, recommend a course of action and then watch them make the wrong decision.

What happened:

I petitioned the board to allow us to host oyster cages under the docks to clean the creek water and support the oyster re-population effort of the Chesapeake Bay.  The board voted to allow this. No problems there.

The Riverkeeper is the organization who supplies the oysters and the cages. They also have a skiff that they park at a Federal facility. They use the skiff to perform water sampling and other efforts that *directly benefit* my community.  The Federal facility is on lock-down due to COVID, making access to the skiff a real hassle. The Riverkeeper asked me if they could keep the skiff in one of our slips until October, so just a couple months.   I proposed this to the board. The skiff is insured. The club is insured.

The board: Nope.  The by-laws specifically state: "Thou shalt not use any improved areas (beach, docks, etc) unless thou art a property owner within the community."

I get it. It's against the written by-laws. These are unprecedented times. We have an opportunity to help an organization that provides a direct benefit to the community. The board could vote to briefly waive the rule. They are very concerned that some of the residents will push back on this. They don't want to get into confrontations. It's against the letter of the rules but not the spirit.  I think it's shitty.

My second bitch (yes, two complaints already):

Of COURSE we have a waterman who's a Trumper.  He is now flying a "Trump 2020" flag from his boat as Trumpers are wont to do.  The beach club president texts me with a photo of the boat and says "I don't like politics at the boat docks."  I think the unspoken sentence was "You need to do something about this."

I have no love for Trump. I didn't vote for him. That said, the waterman is not violating any part of the by-laws. He's exercising his 1st Amendment right to show his ass. I absolutely refuse to infringe upon this individual's right in any way.  I ignored the text.

I'm waiting to see if the beach club Prez prods me again about this issue. I'm unsure if he was just venting or implying that I should "do something."  He's not going to like my response if he asks me to hassle this waterman about his flag.

Otherwise, life as the Harbormaster of Port Royal is grand and it'll be one shilling to tie up your boat.

harbormaster.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Ajax said:

...so it begins.

Let's clarify the pecking order:...

I don't quite know why, but this made this movie quote pop into my head.

"Well, I guess it goes from God, to Jerry to you to the cleaners. Right, Kent?"

46 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

I don't quite know why, but this made this movie quote pop into my head.

"Well, I guess it goes from God, to Jerry to you to the cleaners. Right, Kent?"

Good Movie...  Laslo's place was sweet!!!!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Slick470 said:

One of my favorites. Lots of great and very silly quotes. 

"If there's ever anything I can do for you ... or more to the point, to you ... please, let me know."

"Can you hammer a six inch spike thru a board with your penis?"

"Not right now."

"Girl's gotta have her standards."

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ajax said:

...so it begins.   ...    ...

The Riverkeeper is the organization who supplies the oysters and the cages. They also have a skiff that they park at a Federal facility. They use the skiff to perform water sampling and other efforts that *directly benefit* my community.  The Federal facility is on lock-down due to COVID, making access to the skiff a real hassle. The Riverkeeper asked me if they could keep the skiff in one of our slips until October, so just a couple months.   I proposed this to the board. The skiff is insured. The club is insured.

The board: Nope.  ...    ...    ...

Is there some way you could get him approved for an honorary or special or "limited benefit" or some other category of membership, solely for the purpose of improving the boating waters for us all?

About the flag, agreed x2. I personally do not consider politics to be like cheering your favorite sports team, but it's supposed to be a free country.

- DSK

40 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is there some way you could get him approved for an honorary or special or "limited benefit" or some other category of membership, solely for the purpose of improving the boating waters for us all?

About the flag, agreed x2. I personally do not consider politics to be like cheering your favorite sports team, but it's supposed to be a free country.

- DSK

Nope. You must be a property owner, and have paid the dues, period. There's no way around it except to modify the by-laws.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Nope. You must be a property owner, and have paid the dues, period. There's no way around it except to modify the by-laws.

Would it be possible to poll the membership at large?

Too bad about the flag.

We already had our annual member meeting. Getting everyone back together for an in-person vote is nearly impossible. It's a shame that the Riverkeeper didn't ask a month ago. I would have been able to bring it up for a member vote.

It's really not that difficult to ignore the flag. If someone wants to stare at it and let it get their blood pressure up, that's their problem.

• Like 1

Drive through pretty much any marina on the bay and you'll see the flags. You are asking for more problems by trying to address it and it's shitty of your BCP to put that crap on you. If he wants to pick a fight with flag guy, let him do it. 

If he does, don't be surprised when he finds himself on the internet as the latest "Todd" or whatever it's called that is oppressing free speech. Maybe do a few searches online for that sort of stuff and send it to the Prez so he can see how well that kind of thing turns out. Does he really want to end up on Fox news?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

Drive through pretty much any marina on the bay and you'll see the flags. You are asking for more problems by trying to address it and it's shitty of your BCP to put that crap on you. If he wants to pick a fight with flag guy, let him do it. 

If he does, don't be surprised when he finds himself on the internet as the latest "Todd" or whatever it's called that is oppressing free speech. Maybe do a few searches online for that sort of stuff and send it to the Prez so he can see how well that kind of thing turns out. Does he really want to end up on Fox news?

I agree. The Prez hasn't brought it up again so I'm interpreting his comments as simple venting and not a request for action.

Hey, new topic:

Our shore power boxes have built-in light fixtures for a small fluorescent bulb. I also think there is a ballast in there. Is there a modern, LED bulb replacement?

We have this kind: http://www.hendersonmarine.com/products-shore-power-newport.htm

So Eaton Marina is who you want to talk to for these. Eaton is a huge company, but the Marina guys are a quirkly little shop in Williamsburg, VA and are dedicated to Marina equipment and power distribution designs. I've worked with them on a few projects and they are super helpful. 

Here is a link to their parts book. I would be surprised if they didn't sell an upgrade: https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/low-voltage-power-distribution-controls-systems/marina-power-lighting/marina-power-rv-parks-equipment-parts-catalog.pdf

• Like 1

Our boxes use the flat bulb...not sure how to describe. Looks like a flat U-shape. these fat, round bulbs won't fit I don't think.

Similar to this, I think:

https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/osram-9w-t12-5-g23-cfl-germicidal-black-light-bulb?CAWELAID=120150920000550653&CATARGETID=120150920006219141&CADevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDIQWb4NR1pEErLHF742RC6lxGQDQSfKs9hjvOk-vT892BEdy69ZbkMaAq9XEALw_wcB

I'm not certain about the base though. I need to open one up and remove the bulb.

my guess is that you would remove the base, and use the LED kit to replace the whole fluorescent assembly. Some will use the ballast, some will bypass it. A quick call or email to the Eaton Marina guys should answer the question. Their contact info is here:  

image.png

12 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

my guess is that you would remove the base, and use the LED kit to replace the whole fluorescent assembly. Some will use the ballast, some will bypass it. A quick call or email to the Eaton Marina guys should answer the question. Their contact info is here:  

image.png

Cool, I'll give them a call as soon as I crack open a box and get a bulb. I'll also see if I can locate an exact model number of our boxes.

The old dockmaster gave up trying to keep up with the U-tubes burning out and chasing dead ballasts. We might also have some faulty photocells that trigger the lights. I'd love to fix all this. The yellow lights in the power boxes provided light but also didn't seem to attract the insects at night that standard light posts do.

It's been a couple years since I've talked to them, but I really liked that they didn't seem to care how much of their stuff we were planning on using. We were working on a tiny little marina with just a handful of slips and they walk us through their products and helped us select pedestals to match the owners expectations and even gave me a few different wiring options and layouts to put the services together. It makes sense from a sales and customer service standpoint, but not all big companies are all that helpful on the tiny stuff. I couldn't even tell you the last time I got that level of support from their commercial power distribution brethren. I think our last contact retired and I couldn't tell you who it is now. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Cool, I'll give them a call as soon as I crack open a box and get a bulb. I'll also see if I can locate an exact model number of our boxes.

The old dockmaster gave up trying to keep up with the U-tubes burning out and chasing dead ballasts. We might also have some faulty photocells that trigger the lights. I'd love to fix all this. The yellow lights in the power boxes provided light but also didn't seem to attract the insects at night that standard light posts do.

That's the problem with those fluorescents, and with re-using a CF ballast with LED bulbs. The ballast is at least half the problem! In CF fixtures, sometimes the bulb failing takes out the ballast, sometimes the ballast takes out the bulb. Kind of a suicide pact. I've tried converting circle-light and flat bulb CF fixtures to LED, and the results haven't been great. Noise and color-rendering are two other issues, tho not so bad out of doors. Good LEDs use a mosfet to switch the current, and those don't seem to like being downstream of a cheap CF ballast for some reason. Usually I get frustrated & replace the entire lamp with a dedicated LED. 

If Slick's supplier can give you all-new, weatherized guts for the existing fixtures, that would be awesome. :) 

(We thought about converting our Ballad's vintage incandescent fixtures to LED festoons, strips, or disks, but in the end it made more sense to choose all new lighting. Everything from switching to dimming to wire size to form factor is wildly different.) 

• Like 1

Looking again at the picture from the catalog, the LED lamp looks like an integral driver module, so it would bypass the fluorescent ballast. Integral driver type LEDs are better than anything fluorescent but not as good as LED modules and separate drivers. Integral driver type are a compromise to fit an all in one solution into a small form factor as a direct, line voltage incandescent or self ballasted fluorescent lamp replacement. However, they are getting better and are much better than they were even a few years ago. The yellow lens in the pedestal will end around a lot of the potential color rendering issues from the LEDs though. 

Still probably worth a quick call to confirm, but you will probably end up buying the kits, ripping out the fluorescent parts, installing these kits and lamps. Once you have them, you may be able to find the same lamps a bit cheaper elsewhere. 

It may also be possible that these guys have the order number from when your boat club bought these pedestals originally and can recommend other upgrades specific to your installation. Isn't spending other peoples money fun?

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Looking again at the picture from the catalog, the LED lamp looks like an integral driver module, so it would bypass the fluorescent ballast. Integral driver type LEDs are better than anything fluorescent but not as good as LED modules and separate drivers. Integral driver type are a compromise to fit an all in one solution into a small form factor as a direct, line voltage incandescent or self ballasted fluorescent lamp replacement. However, they are getting better and are much better than they were even a few years ago. The yellow lens in the pedestal will end around a lot of the potential color rendering issues from the LEDs though. 

Still probably worth a quick call to confirm, but you will probably end up buying the kits, ripping out the fluorescent parts, installing these kits and lamps. Once you have them, you may be able to find the same lamps a bit cheaper elsewhere. 

It may also be possible that these guys have the order number from when your boat club bought these pedestals originally and can recommend other upgrades specific to your installation. Isn't spending other peoples money fun?

Hm. Hopefully new "guts" aren't too expensive.  We don't have specific dollar values allotted but I can make reasonable purchases, present receipts and get reimbursed. If the dollar value gets high, then I ask the club to make the purchase and they decide.

There was actually a breeze yesterday so I broke out the Dyer Dhow and went blasting all over the Rhode River, so I didn't make any phone calls. ;)

8 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

Per the catalog clip I posted above, the new "guts" are $33.19 per lamp. That doesn't seem too bad, but will obviously add up the more fixtures you replace. 

The board will go along with that, even if I have to do it in chunks.

25 minutes ago, Ajax said:

The board will go along with that, even if I have to do it in chunks.

I dug a bit further into the parts guide to see what a replacement fluorescent lamp and ballast would cost from them as a comparison, but it looks like that isn't an option from them anymore. However, I did find a complete LED upgrade kit that includes a lot more parts for not surprisingly, more money. 

image.png.127c471eeac6af70d2d7226e9ea559af.png

I missed this earlier. Sorry about that. When you call them you can ask if you need this larger kit, or if you can just get away with the smaller lamp/lamp holder kit. 

11 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

I dug a bit further into the parts guide to see what a replacement fluorescent lamp and ballast would cost from them as a comparison, but it looks like that isn't an option from them anymore. However, I did find a complete LED upgrade kit that includes a lot more parts for not surprisingly, more money. 

image.png.127c471eeac6af70d2d7226e9ea559af.png

I missed this earlier. Sorry about that. When you call them you can ask if you need this larger kit, or if you can just get away with the smaller lamp/lamp holder kit. 

We have 6 or 8 of these Newport boxes. If I have to do a couple or 3 per year, it's no big deal. I am going to call them, I just need a few spare minutes.

10 minutes ago, IStream said:

A $100 a pop, you might be better off just replacing the whole fixture with a new LED unit.

At $496/box? I don't think so.  https://marina-products.com/products/newport-harbormate

$100 is 1/5th the cost, not even including shipping. Also, aside from the nite lights the boxes are in fine condition. If they were all busted up and cracked from UV, I'd agree.