I just went down to the hotel lobby to get a bottle of wine for myself.  A lady waited for the front desk girl to leave while her kids played pool and reached in and put a bottle of wine in her purse.  I thought maybe it was free but asked when the clerk came back and paid for mine.  I gave the chick a nasty look when I walked by, but was wearing a mask so it probably didn’t make an impact.  What would you do?  She flat out stole right in front of me.

10 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

I just went down to the hotel lobby to get a bottle of wine for myself.  A lady waited for the front desk girl to leave while her kids played pool and reached in and put a bottle of wine in her purse.  I thought maybe it was free but asked when the clerk came back and paid for mine.  I gave the chick a nasty look when I walked by, but was wearing a mask so it probably didn’t make an impact.  What would you do?  She flat out stole right in front of me.

Another choice, right?  

12 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Suggest the desk clerk look at the security footage.

This, and sleep well.

Was that hotel a hedge fund acquisition aimed at ripping folks off ?? 

If so, I'd refer to that wine-napping as "liberation" (not libation!) 

Did she look tired? Did she take only one bottle? 

Might she have been Covid-Stressed? 

All of this and more has to enter into the moral calculus !!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

If so, I'd refer to that wine-napping as "liberation" (not libation!) 

Did she look tired? Did she take only one bottle? 

Might she have been Covid-Stressed? 

All of this and more has to enter into the moral calculus !!

I sure hope you didn't teach your students to see the world that way. Troubling.

3 minutes ago, Keith said:

I sure hope you didn't teach your students to see the world that way. Troubling.

No, I did not teach that, but I did often mention that principle as one way of thinking about those issues . . 

For example, in catholic ethical teaching, it is said to be a far more serious sin to steal 

from a poor person vs. a rich one. 

Do you agree? 

What is your calculus ? 

(I am not an RC personally, but they do think and write about ethics a good deal) 

53 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I sure hope it was a Trump property, and if so, you did fine.  Otherwise, do the right thing in the future.  

31 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Theft is theft regardless.

14 minutes ago, Keith said:

Absolutely. 

4 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

No, I did not teach that, but I did often mention that principle as one way of thinking about those issues . . 

For example, in catholic ethical teaching, it is said to be a far more serious sin to steal 

from a poor person vs. a rich one. 

Do you agree? 

What is your calculus ? 

(I am not an RC personally, but they do think and write about ethics a good deal) 

Now as Mikey often tells everyone, I live in a very posh part of town.

local woolies newly opened "metro" had all their wine just on the normal shelves.

People round here wouldn't steal it...would they?

Theft was so bad they had to remove their alcohol section entirely, people just popping $60 bottles of wine in their bags and "forgetting " to check it out.

So..where as I tend to agree with AJ that sometimes it's better to turn a blind eye to petty theft of necessaries, Stealing from a hotel lobby implies she could afford a hotel..unless it was a simple pub? maybe she was a poor woman with an alcohol problem? in which case, as they've probably made a huge proffit from her misery..Meh.

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

local woolies newly opened "metro" had all their wine just on the normal shelves.

Theft was so bad they had to remove their alcohol section entirely, people just popping $60 bottles of wine in their bags and "forgetting " to check it out.

Maybe it's where you live because around here, Aldi doesn't seem to have that issue, judging by where they have their booze.

Then again most people can afford $3.95 for a bottle of Chilean white I guess.

FKT

24 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Maybe it's where you live because around here, Aldi doesn't seem to have that issue, judging by where they have their booze.

Then again most people can afford $3.95 for a bottle of Chilean white I guess.

FKT

Just because they can doesn't mean they should.......

Unless they're under age, then 4 bucks to get pissed is a fucking bargain!

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Just because they can doesn't mean they should.......

Unless they're under age, then 4 bucks to get pissed is a fucking bargain!

Agree they shouldn't.

And I have NFI how they can possibly import and sell bottled wine that cheaply. Back before I lost my taste for alcohol pretty much entirely I sampled the odd bottle and it was actually - by my admittedly low standards - quite drinkable.

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Agree they shouldn't.

And I have NFI how they can possibly import and sell bottled wine that cheaply. Back before I lost my taste for alcohol pretty much entirely I sampled the odd bottle and it was actually - by my admittedly low standards - quite drinkable.

FKT

I'm not sure you really want to know.

Think concentrated, shipped, reconstituted then bottled.

Its less wine and more a science experiment....

1 minute ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I'm not sure you really want to know.

Yeah I figured it had to be something distinctly dodgy.

These days if I'm going to drink I'll pay for something half decent. Not like my consumption is going to make anyone rich, or destroy my liver. Still got nearly 2 crates of Inner Circle 78% ethanol OP rum put aside for emergencies.

FKT

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah I figured it had to be something distinctly dodgy.

These days if I'm going to drink I'll pay for something half decent. Not like my consumption is going to make anyone rich, or destroy my liver. Still got nearly 2 crates of Inner Circle 78% ethanol OP rum put aside for emergencies.

FKT

Hand sanitiser?

2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

The TWE guys quote that it costs $7 each just to put wine in the bottle, and ship it to a retail outlet in AU. Suspect our labour is so expensive that it is cheaper to bottle in South America and ship by the pallet load to Oz.

Particualrly if done in volume and just different labels applied for the different price points...

6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

So..where as I tend to agree with AJ that sometimes it's better to turn a blind eye to petty theft of necessaries, Stealing from a hotel lobby implies she could afford a hotel..unless it was a simple pub? maybe she was a poor woman with an alcohol problem? in which case, as they've probably made a huge proffit from her misery..Meh.

WTF is wrong with the people where you live?  I’m not aware of a single grocery store in the States that has to take wine off the shelves because of theft.

I know Australia was a penal colony but that doesn’t excuse the behavior of today’s citizens.

2 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

WTF is wrong with the people where you live?  I’m not aware of a single grocery store in the States that has to take wine off the shelves because of theft.

I know Australia was a penal colony but that doesn’t excuse the behavior of today’s citizens.

What's wrong with the people where I live?

Well they have well above average income, expensive cars, multimillion dollar homes so I ask myself the same question.