Thoughts on this 27' boat

dude could just get a 27' that isn't some kind of rusky RocketCoffin

the interior on that thing looks like my buddy's SJ20. I suppose it's fast as hell, or whatever.

Added bonus: gimballed kero lamps: take your pick between a sooty headliner and dim light vs a boat fire and lots of light.

if I'm being honest though it does sound appealing as hell to be able to trailer out to your sailing grounds. I'd go for it if I didn't have a rugrat chewing my wallet and a wife who likes to stand up straight (weird brit).

Scandinavian/northern european boat type. A friend has a Aphrodite 101 and years ago I considered a BB10. Similarly narrow with good sized frac rigs that were a delight to sail, especially upwind. All well built, easily driven hulls, well mannered and seaworthy.

All these boats look like descendents from Solings. Great boats but pain buckets when raced hard. They required droop hiking. I knpw a couple of guys that picked up old Solings for nothing added a minimalist  cabin structure and a berth and had a blast doing some singlehanded coastal sailing.

You going to splash your new toy on Lake Dillon? WHEN I ever get my sorry ass to move to Colorado I was considering a boat for the area. I don't love them but my money looks to be on a J22. Comfy cockpit, gets up and scoots off the breeze, easily trailered and there are enough in the Denver area to have some decent competition. We'll see.

Good luck

4 hours ago, redboat said:

Scandinavian/northern european boat type. A friend has a Aphrodite 101 and years ago I considered a BB10. Similarly narrow with good sized frac rigs that were a delight to sail, especially upwind. All well built, easily driven hulls, well mannered and seaworthy.

All these boats look like descendents from Solings. Great boats but pain buckets when raced hard. They required droop hiking. I knpw a couple of guys that picked up old Solings for nothing added a minimalist  cabin structure and a berth and had a blast doing some singlehanded coastal sailing.

You going to splash your new toy on Lake Dillon? WHEN I ever get my sorry ass to move to Colorado I was considering a boat for the area. I don't love them but my money looks to be on a J22. Comfy cockpit, gets up and scoots off the breeze, easily trailered and there are enough in the Denver area to have some decent competition. We'll see.

Good luck

Feisty fleet of U20s in Colorado, too. 

http://www.denversailing.org/dev2/fleets/u-20/

Best to get a boat with positive floatation ... Or an all-plastic interior that won't be ruined if it visits the lake bottom. Those out of nowhere, 70mph gust fronts do keep you alert.

There’s more than a dozen of them in my club. Excellent daysailers /weekenders for their size, and they still race OD in many European countries, too. Only issues are: no reef line (in OD configuration), and iron keels. So be prepared to work with traveller and backstay and look for signs of rust regularly. You can’t go wrong with a H-Boat. 

513C2CB7-820C-459C-9011-16468D16FCCD.jpeg

18 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

There’s more than a dozen of them in my club. Excellent daysailers /weekenders for their size, and they still race OD in many European countries, too. Only issues are: no reef line (in OD configuration), and iron keels. So be prepared to work with traveller and backstay and look for signs of rust regularly. You can’t go wrong with a H-Boat. 

513C2CB7-820C-459C-9011-16468D16FCCD.jpeg

That davit looks a bit oversized, neat little RC model hanging off though :D

• Like 4
On 7/30/2020 at 11:29 AM, bmiller said:

Thanks for the info, I think that's exactly what forum poster Bull City sails.

Just saw this thread.

Yes, I do sail an H-Boat! I'm very happy with her. Sails like a dream, even in light air. I simplified the hardware layout, so she is very easy to single hand. My wife like the boat too. I think the headroom at the companionway (not offset :P) is about 4'10". I'll check next time I'm there.

During the renovation, I removed the hull and headliners, and painted the fiberglass off-white.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:43 AM, 10thTonner said:

Only issues are: no reef line (in OD configuration), and iron keels. So be prepared to work with traveller and backstay and look for signs of rust regularly.

My main has one set of reef point, which is good, because the mast has a Harken mast track, which make the mast un-bendy. 

10th where are you located?

22 hours ago, Bull City said:

10th where are you located?

Inshore Germany. PM me when you are panning your next trip to Europe.  

(I counted 16 H-boats on one of the piers. However, only 3 or 4 of them are participating in our round- the-beercans regularly. One guy is really serious. He dry-sails his H-boat and does all the OD regattas from Scandinavia to lake Garda...) 

On 8/2/2020 at 11:40 AM, 10thTonner said:

Inshore Germany. PM me when you are panning your next trip to Europe.  

Will do. Americans not allowed in E.U. at present. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, 10thTonner said:

...Sucks! I think we can pretty much write off 2020. Hope for next year.  

yeah. 2020, the year that didn't happen...