Jump to content

“Two Bridge Fiasco” (Annapolis)


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Salona said:

More than 140 entries for AYC’s new double/singlehanded race on Sunday. https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=13047

With a downwind pursuit start in 15-18kts, that first turning mark is going to be crowded and lively...  This might be the first time we use a sock with our kite.

The Oppy kids do a training drill based on that called leeward mark mayhem. You all have a lot of fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don’t quite understand is why they are not putting the finish in the middle of the “V“?  You can go around the course in either direction, but a clockwise course (blue) is 14.2nm and the counterclockwise (red) is only 10.2nm.
 

Perhaps if there was a light NNE,  it might be faster to take the longer course with reaching legs than beat into it. But if it’s a Southerly, I think everyone most will opt for the shorter course.

 

 

 

D4A02A2A-002B-4AE3-B060-42ED2D42CAF7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Salona said:

What I don’t quite understand is why they are not putting the finish in the middle of the “V“?  You can go around the course in either direction, but a clockwise course (blue) is 14.2nm and the counterclockwise (red) is only 10.2nm.
 

Perhaps if there was a light NNE,  it might be faster to take the longer course with reaching legs than beat into it. But if it’s a Southerly, I think everyone most will opt for the shorter course.

 

 

 

D4A02A2A-002B-4AE3-B060-42ED2D42CAF7.jpeg

They amended the course no doubt when someone pointed this out. R2 is no longer a part of the course. I picked up on this as well.

 https://yachtscoring.com/event_documents/13047/2020 AYC Two Bridge Fiasco NoR Amendment 2 vFINAL.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be crowded and spicy.  Pretty amazing to get this many boats signed up for the first year of a new event.  I suspect this will be the first double handed race for many of the participants (myself included).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Salona said:

More than 140 entries for AYC’s new double/singlehanded race on Sunday. https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=13047

With a downwind pursuit start in 15-18kts, that first turning mark is going to be crowded and lively...  This might be the first time we use a sock with our kite.

Before you sock  the spi , put it in wool stops ...at least 50 percent of luff length 

your first set  will be very fast 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Before you sock  the spi , put it in wool stops ...at least 50 percent of luff length 

your first set  will be very fast 

Last winter I looked for yarn that would snap easily, but all I could find was synthetic or a blend that was much too strong. 
 

In any case I think that’s prohibited now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

Last winter I looked for yarn that would snap easily, but all I could find was synthetic or a blend that was much too strong. 
 

In any case I think that’s prohibited now.

It is prohibited by the rules, but if you're a big budget race programme then the rules don't apply to you. That and they've always done it like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it was quite a race but I think everyone was well behaved. Far from earning the fiasco name. We thought taking advantage of the fresh breeze and lack of traffic and going up the river first would be a good call. It was not. Everyone who went to the bay first did better. 

Nonetheless, a good time was had by all. And eight boats in PHRF spin get to brag that they beat Gary Jobson.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that it was a choppy day on the bay and the organizers mused publicly that the big boats’ tolerance for those conditions would outweigh the ability of the boats with shoal draft to cut the corner rather than round the mark.

I believe that the results have shown that the small, shallow draft boats had a rather dramatic advantage over larger boats which should surprise exactly no one. A boat that draws 4’ has a course of about 10.6 miles whereas a boat that draws 6’ has about an 11.1 mile course  

If I had any say in next year’s race, I’d make R4 a mark of the course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a great day for a sailboat race! Nothing is perfect on the first running, but these conditions and course suited us perfectly as we crossed the line for the overall win.

We draw 5.5’ but could pull boards to snake across the Greenbury Point shoal. I do agree that adding R4 to the course would perhaps equalize the playing field some, but that also requires the rest of the fleet to pay attention to the small boats and honor the rules a bit better. We as racers are generally heads up but this isn’t the first bay distance race where port/starboard only applies between boats in the same class...the results of a 40 footer colliding with a Wazsp would put an end to this really quickly, and that isn’t good for anyone!!

Going downwind to the Severn bridge first, motoring upwind in the harbor in relatively clean air and blast reaching our way to the turning mark at the bay bridge worked pretty well for us, but I could see going upwind first if you were short handed on a keelboat. Our closest competition went outside first and it didn’t quite pay.

Can anyone make sense of the published results? For reference, we finished approximately 55min after our prescribed start time and the next boat to cross the line was approximately 6min later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...