Shortforbob

Stage 4 lock down-Victoria

1 hour ago, Jkdubz808 said:

This is why we can't have nice things in America........

I'm negative for COVID, as are the kids and the bowgirl.  Can we come down and stay with you guys?

116656815_10157367291811892_8651836754763222145_n.jpg

God there are some really stupid people here.....really really stupid. We don’t have a prayer of getting through this any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Jkdubz808 said:

I'm negative for COVID, as are the kids and the bowgirl.  Can we come down and stay with you guys?

Something is wrong with this photo...

Got it!  Whats up with the door onto the lawn?  Fire exit?

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Fuck me Dubz!...if I'd known you were passing through town I'd have invited you in for a beer...:ph34r:

38 minutes ago, Grabbler said:

Fuck me Dubz!...if I'd known you were passing through town I'd have invited you in for a beer...:ph34r:

If thats your place mate i KNOW you have stronger stuff than beer.....

17 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

and then the mask fogs up and you can't see what you are supposed to careful not to touch.....

spit in it :D

On 8/3/2020 at 7:41 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

116656815_10157367291811892_8651836754763222145_n.jpgsh

Jesus, Mary  and Weird Uncle Ray I hope this fuckwit gets The Plague.  I don't wish this person to die from it, but I do wish a severe enough case to make them realize it isn't a hoax.

Did not read all of thread but:

Get toilet paper, paper towels, liquid dish detergent, bleach if you can. Clorox wipes or the like if you can. Rubber dishwashing gloves. Nitrile or latex gloves for going into stores, care home, etc. Keeps you from touching face.  Those disappear and don't come back quickly.

The dish detergent and a capful of bleach in a bucket in the sink are for washing wrapped and sealed groceries before you put them in fridge. Milk, oj, beer, etc. Yeah yeah I know surfaces are not a main source of transmission but you have plenty of time. Wear dishwashing gloves, hard on hands. 

Clean surfaces and hands well after finishing.

For bags of frozen veg, just use soapy water. Bags have pinhole leaks, despite Trump you don't want to ingest bleach.  

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Did not read all of thread but:

Get toilet paper, paper towels, liquid dish detergent, bleach if you can. Clorox wipes or the like if you can. Rubber dishwashing gloves. Nitrile or latex gloves for going into stores, care home, etc. Keeps you from touching face.  Those disappear and don't come back quickly.

The dish detergent and a capful of bleach in a bucket in the sink are for washing wrapped and sealed groceries before you put them in fridge. Milk, oj, beer, etc. Yeah yeah I know surfaces are not a main source of transmission but you have plenty of time. Wear dishwashing gloves, hard on hands. 

Clean surfaces and hands well after finishing.

For bags of frozen veg, just use soapy water. Bags have pinhole leaks, despite Trump you don't want to ingest bleach.  

Thanks, I got all that back in march :).

I just bought enough dry goods and unperishables to cut down on the grocery store trips.

UTH milk, UTHcream, tinned tuna, frozen or jarred herbs, pasta and rice, lentils and frozen chopped onions,Tomato puree, lots of butter and sugar to bake cookies to save the boys their daily junk run.

Surprising the things you can discover in the freezer section that you never knew existed. 

And surprising the recipes you can invent from the things that keep for months.

It's a bit like old times, back when the trip to the store was a monthly excursion . You have to think and plan meals.

Oh, good.

We just got a chest freezer. Now I have to figure what to buy to put in it for the fall and winter covid horror to come here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Oh, good.

We just got a chest freezer. Now I have to figure what to buy to put in it for the fall and winter covid horror to come here. 

Ice cream.

We use the freezers to hold summer fruit. Generally pick enough berries, apricots and other fruit to have a supply for the entire year. It's really nice to have some hot apricot crumble with ice cream in midwinter while the house is warmed by the wood fire in the corner.

If I want meat I can get it fresh easily enough.

FKT

• Like 3

I remember this March thru May it was very hard to find meat, dairy, vegetables in stores here. They rationed what you could get..2 milks, 2 packets of cheese, etc. supply chain problems plus people all bought big freezers or had big refrigerators and stuffed them full. We have a smallish fridge. It was worrying because I started using grocery delivery in April and that made it harder...if the store was out, no going to another. Had to restart an order.

So we hope to fill it gradually to prepare for a bad covid/flu season with shortages again. 

Also thinking of a backup generator because we do have natural gas.

What you need for lockdown: adequate booze (dint under estimate), internet, comfortable chair, some private space for working/escaping, some good books (video gets weary), headphones, an intellectual project + resources, someone willing inside the bubble,

must be more

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

I remember this March thru May it was very hard to find meat, dairy, vegetables in stores here. They rationed what you could get..2 milks, 2 packets of cheese, etc. supply chain problems plus people all bought big freezers or had big refrigerators and stuffed them full. We have a smallish fridge. It was worrying because I started using grocery delivery in April and that made it harder...if the store was out, no going to another. Had to restart an order.

So we hope to fill it gradually to prepare for a bad covid/flu season with shortages again. 

Also thinking of a backup generator because we do have natural gas.

UHT milk is pretty good, I always keep a supply on hand plus a few cans of powdered milk. Pasta & rice in large quantities. Canned fish, dried beans & pulses. A pressure cooker.

Plus whatever you need to feed your addictions. In my case, a big library, dark chocolate and coffee. Maybe some red wine if I decide to take up drinking again. Boxed wine is quite drinkable and you can store a lot of it. Reds don't need refrigeration or ice too.

I've got a backup generator because winter storms often result in a power outage. Sufficient capacity for the freezer & refrigerator. Not for hot water though. Gas cooking so no probs there, got a fully functional kerosene stove off of a boat in the shed too. Second last resort though - last resort is wood cooking.

Those of us who've spent extensive time on boats tend to not be anywhere near as affected as the precious entitled ones who think they're going to die if they can't go to the coffee shop. One of my ex-staff once interviewed for a job in a different marine R&D place. He was asked how he thought he'd cope doing 3 week voyages. His response was '3 weeks? Normally after 3 weeks I'd be thinking maybe it was time I unpacked my gear'. We used to do up to 3 months without touching land.

FKT

• Like 1

Good info. Sorry to keep hijacking but it's 4 months now here..seen nobody but waving to delivery people as they retreat down sidewalk. 

Got freezer. 7 cu feet. How do you organize it? Are there bins you get to stack inside to keep categories of food organized?  Can't see rummaging thru everything looking for something every time.

Thanks. 

23 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

he dish detergent and a capful of bleach in a bucket in the sink are for washing wrapped and sealed groceries before you put them in fridge.

Yeah. . . .no.  Do not add bleach to dish detergent.  Just use dish detergent (if washing your hands with soap is good enough, so is washing your vegetables with dish detergent).  You basically inactivate the bleach by adding dish detergent to it -- you're not doing anything useful.  I'm a chemist, and work with dish detergent, disinfectants, sanitizers and bleach as part of my job.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

^Thanks!

Happy to help.  Basic rule of thumb is never mix bleach with anything other than water.  At the least, you won't get any activity out of the bleach.  At the worst, you could wake up dead.

13 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

Happy to help.  Basic rule of thumb is never mix bleach with anything other than water.  At the least, you won't get any activity out of the bleach.  At the worst, you could wake up dead.

You mean throwing bleach on the floor to scrub tiles/grout or sprinkling a little Comet cleanser on for good measure along with some muriatic is bad? (how many times have I seen the results of that little adventure!!)

22 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Sooooo doing a Load of WHITES in the Washing Machine

Adding Detergent & Bleach cancels each other out ??

56 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Sooooo doing a Load of WHITES in the Washing Machine

Adding Detergent & Bleach cancels each other out ??

It doesn't totally cancel each other out, but if you're using chlorine bleach you've pretty much nixed the bleach.  Doing this with oxygen bleach is ok.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:13 AM, Point Break said:

You mean throwing bleach on the floor to scrub tiles/grout or sprinkling a little Comet cleanser on for good measure along with some muriatic is bad? (how many times have I seen the results of that little adventure!!)

Book?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, Point Break said:

Sooo... what happens?

On 8/7/2020 at 7:01 AM, bplipschitz said:

My wife used to do this shit despite being warned. Almost died on day and still affects her 20 years later. Just going to an enclosed swimming pool can set it off from the chlorine in the air. Bad shit can certainly happen.

3 hours ago, Windward said:

Sooo... what happens?

Chlorine gas. As I recall. It’s a nasty gas of some sort......

15 hours ago, Point Break said:

Chlorine gas. As I recall. It’s a nasty gas of some sort......

The Germans thought so in WWI.  Starts to become lethal at 100 ppm in air IIRC.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

The Germans thought so in WWI.  Starts to become lethal at 100 ppm in air IIRC.

Sorry.

2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I thought the Germans loved it.......

... but for all the wrong reasons.

But we have moved on and as it turns out, applying german science and workmanship to civilian applications is much better recieved than grenades.

:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grog said:

Sorry.

But we have moved on and as it turns out, applying german science and workmanship to civilian applications is much better recieved than grenades.

True but I'm still waiting for your engineers to discover that while it might be wonderful for their egos to make something as complex as possible and have it still work, end users appreciate things that can actually be maintained & serviced.

FKT

On 8/7/2020 at 2:36 AM, NeedAClew said:

Good info. Sorry to keep hijacking but it's 4 months now here..seen nobody but waving to delivery people as they retreat down sidewalk. 

Got freezer. 7 cu feet. How do you organize it? Are there bins you get to stack inside to keep categories of food organized?  Can't see rummaging thru everything looking for something every time.

Thanks. 

Chest freezer?Didn't it come with lift out wire baskets?

I divide mine into 4. roughly

1 bin for meat and fish

1 bin for fruit and veg

1 bin for prepared meals like soup, spag sauce and casseroles

1 bin for ice cream and other small things you hardly EVER eat :)

But mines a upright freezer. and smaller than 7cubic feet.  

You're not hijacking at all if you've been isolated for 4 months. You're a veteran :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grog said:

Sorry.

Indeed!  I particularly like their invention called Helles.  Especially at Augustiner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Chest freezer?Didn't it come with lift out wire baskets?

I divide mine into 4. roughly

1 bin for meat and fish

1 bin for fruit and veg

1 bin for prepared meals like soup, spag sauce and casseroles

1 bin for ice cream and other small things you hardly EVER eat :)

But mines a upright freezer. and smaller than 7cubic feet.  

You're not hijacking at all if you've been isolated for 4 months. You're a veteran :)

I just ordered some baskets from Amazon.  It came with 2 little ones, need more. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

True but I'm still waiting for your engineers to discover that while it might be wonderful for their egos to make something as complex as possible and have it still work, end users appreciate things that can actually be maintained & serviced.

FKT

I hear you! But that is out of the engineers' hands and has been for a couple of years. Complicated engines are owed to EU emission regulations, the rest of it is owned by market research and controlling: "Very nice, but that model is driven by the typical first owner for 3-4 years and does less than 80,000 km. Reengineer to that spec, maybe plus 30%."

The age of engineering and building the best you possibly can is over, at least in industries with mostly public companies.

Re lockdown: I keep a 1991 Mercedes 190E as a daily driver; sturdy, reliable and comfy, takes me to the shops and the annual service I can do myself. Automotive social distancing at it's best! :)

4 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Indeed!  I particularly like their invention called Helles.  Especially at Augustiner!

Good choice!

Although the Augustiner predates the wars quite a bit, it is even older than the much renowned Reinheitsgebot.

Still a good choice. :P

Lockdown content: One a day is a small meal, three a feast - and you still haven't eaten. So, take it easy with the good beers or you will get fat and lazy.

12 minutes ago, Grog said:

Good choice!

Although the Augustiner predates the wars quite a bit, it is even older than the much renowned Reinheitsgebot.

Still a good choice. :P

Lockdown content: One a day is a small meal, three a feast - and you still haven't eaten. So, take it easy with the good beers or you will get fat and lazy.

Oh, still working full time there.  I did brew up an Oktcovidfest beer yesterday, which ought to be ready to drink by the end of September.  I'm trying to keep them down to one a week at the moment. . .

5 hours ago, Grog said:

I hear you! But that is out of the engineers' hands and has been for a couple of years. Complicated engines are owed to EU emission regulations, the rest of it is owned by market research and controlling: "Very nice, but that model is driven by the typical first owner for 3-4 years and does less than 80,000 km. Reengineer to that spec, maybe plus 30%."

The age of engineering and building the best you possibly can is over, at least in industries with mostly public companies.

Re lockdown: I keep a 1991 Mercedes 190E as a daily driver; sturdy, reliable and comfy, takes me to the shops and the annual service I can do myself. Automotive social distancing at it's best! :)

I keep saying that my next car will be a Mercedes SL or SEC of early 80's vintage. Sadly, it'll probably be a soulless BEV of some sort from Korea.

FKT

You lot still surviving ok down there in Victoria?  Your lockdown has made the news up here in the wild badlands that is the US, many are talking about.

5 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

You lot still surviving ok down there in Victoria?  Your lockdown has made the news up here in the wild badlands that is the US, many are talking about.

Life is good, I am still working, no traffic on the roads, food in the fridge and toilet paper to burn!

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, Jkdubz808 said:

Still in Stage 4. We are not allowed to leave the city. New cases have dropped to below 50 PD 3 days running.

Whoo hoo..our curfew has been reduced a bit. we can stay out until 9pm..Doing what ?

Library is opening for contactless collection on Monday.

It's going well though. We should be allowed to visit one other household by the 28th sept if numbers stay below 50 pd.

We still have to stay within 5km of home, only allowed 2 hours out to excercise. (small increase, who excercises for two hours anyway)

All retail still closed, takeaway and delivery for restaurants. Still strict restrictions on work permits. (I'm still working, Home library service deemed essential)

Rural Victorians have more or less contained it and only 3 new cases PD so they are slightly easing restrictions..they can go about the state, eat in a cafe or pub with strict limits on numbers..but not enter Melbourne.

Masks are manditory for everyone in victoria if your outside the home.

Schools are doing Zoom classes.

The road map out of this is planned very slowly based on numbers not dates. Gov is hoping we'll be in "Covid Normal" by end October.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

The road map out of this is planned very slowly based on numbers not dates. Gov is hoping we'll be in "Covid Normal" by end October.

I've got bad news for you.  "Covid Normal" doesn't even have a penciled in date. 

26th October, < 5 case per day average,  Step 3 --> Where the country folk are at now.
23rd Nov, 0 cases for 14 days, step 4 --> More than 5 guests in your house, up to 20 people in resturants..
some time in the distance future, 0 cases for 28 days, "Covid Normal"

Right now under the Victorian system NSW would be at step 2 and Qld, SA and WA at step 3

14 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

I've got bad news for you.  "Covid Normal" doesn't even have a penciled in date. 

26th October, < 5 case per day average,  Step 3 --> Where the country folk are at now.
23rd Nov, 0 cases IN THE COMMUNITY for 14 days, step 4 --> More than 5 guests in your house, Groups of up to 20 people in resturants..
some time in the distance future, 0 cases for 28 days, "Covid Normal"

Right now under the Victorian system NSW would be at step 2 and Qld, SA and WA at step 3

That's not quite right.

https://www.vic.gov.au/last-step-coronavirus-road-to-recovery

What is changing?

There are no restrictions on reasons to leave home. There will be very limited restrictions except when it involves workplaces and large social gatherings. Shops, recreational facilities, entertainment, hospitality and cultural venues will be open, although there will still be restrictions. These include density requirements (not too many people in a space at one time and can allow for physical distancing), record keeping and cleaning.

Why are we here?

We are at the Last Step towards COVID Normal because of the efforts of Victorians - there have been zero new cases in the community for more than 14 days.

What does this mean for me?

Social

• curfew - not in place
  • leave home - no restrictions on reasons to leave home or distance but stay safe
  • public gatherings - up to 50 people outdoors
  • visitors to the home - up to 20 visitors at a time

Education and childcare

• childcare - open
  • schools in metropolitan Melbourne - remote learning with potential staged return for onsite learning for Grade 3 to Grade 10 based on public health advice
  • schools in regional Victoria -  onsite learning for all with safety measures in place
  • adult education - restricted. Learn from home if you can, onsite for hands-on, skills-based learning

Work and business

Work from home if you can.

Find out more about:

Shopping, personal services, eating and drinking out 

Hospitality: Indoor (group limit of 20 and seated service, with a cap of 50 patrons), outdoor dining subject to density quotient.

Retail: all open

• real estate - operating with safety measures and record-keeping

Exercise and recreation

• no exercise restrictions
  • facilities open subject to safety measures. Organised contact sports resume for all ages. Limitations for spectators

Ceremonies and special occasions

• weddings - allowed with 50 people (including the couple, two witnesses and celebrant), 20 in a private residence
  • funerals - allowed with 50 people (infants under 12 months of age or people required to conduct the funeral not included in the limit), 20 in a private residence
  • religion - public worship (not including private ceremonies (e.g. baptism, bat mitzvah) can resume in outdoor and indoor settings subject to density quotient

Entertainment, leisure and travel

• travel within Victoria - allowed (can’t enter any restricted area)
  • entertainment - indoor and outdoor venues open with density quotient and patron caps. Staged return to events with seated spectators. Large events treated on an individual basis based on requirements and epidemiology at the time
  • accommodation - open

Reviewed 12 September 2020