I saw a lot of love for the two person Laser on this site and I though I'd ask if anyone knows what is supposed to be on the inside.

We bought a Laser 2 from a widow who was downsizing and are missing a few pieces.   The serial number indicates it is a 1980 made in Montreal.

The deck and hull seem solid with minimal delamination but, when we replaced the wood 2"x3" under the mast step there was wood debris inside and it didn't seem to connect to a keel.  I can't seem to find any information about what was down there to begin with so i'm not sure if i'm missing any vital components.  There are videos and pics of people fixing up their original Lasers, but very little on the Laser 2.  Any pictures or experiences to share? 

I included a picture of the old 2"x3" post that looks like it was supposed to hold a bit of 1/4" plywood, but there was nothing there.

Also if the boat itself was the first thing to go what did everyone do with the masts and rudders?

The club I taught at had 4 laser II's from the late 70s. One piece masts.  We took the deck of one of the junkers in early 90s, lots of rotten wood, bulkheads had disinterested like the photo above.  I dont remember floatation bags, but that was a long time ago.  We propped the deck back up with beer cans, glassed it back together and sold it to a movie along with some other junked youth training boats. 

The 70s. That must have been an early one. I thought they started in about 1980. They were never known for being well built, cirtainly in the UK. Can't believe any are still capable of floating.

Many of the uni team racing once cirtainly didn't float after 3 or 4 years. Nothing like getting into your boat, on the water, and realising you were dragging around an extra 200kg.

5 hours ago, European Bloke said:

The 70s. That must have been an early one. I thought they started in about 1980. They were never known for being well built, cirtainly in the UK. Can't believe any are still capable of floating.

Many of the uni team racing once cirtainly didn't float after 3 or 4 years. Nothing like getting into your boat, on the water, and realising you were dragging around an extra 200kg.

The boat got some use and has 2 fibreglass repairs that show it got some love, but it think it spent the last 20 years or so in the old lady's shed.  Fingers crossed there are no more issues.

Awesome find Dex SawashThanks.  It looks like the mast post is just attached to the cockpit and was removed with the deck, or perhaps hidden behind the cubetainer/airbag. 

I love the beer can idea, Irish RiverWon't rot or rust and will probably keep me buoyant a little longer. Class legal i'm sure.