The Worlds Roughest V15

Well what on earth am I about to get myself into.

In hopes of expanding the Portsmouth fleet at my local sailing club, I have become the "boat inspector" for all of the lesser knowledgeable fleet members. One of them said that a family friend had a V15 for sale and would let us check it out.

Long story short it is almost complete, save for sails and a dagger-board...but one other thing. I decided to crouch and check the hull for soft spots, upon compressing a random patch of fiberglass (near mast step on the starboard side of the hull bottom, right at the waterline), I was horrified to find that without applying much force at all, visible displacement was created. 

I told the fleet member that I would not touch that V15 with a 10 foot pole, but they insisted on using the "wear" as a bargaining chip. Can someone please tell me if I am missing something here?

5 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Well what on earth am I about to get myself into.

In hopes of expanding the Portsmouth fleet at my local sailing club, I have become the "boat inspector" for all of the lesser knowledgeable fleet members. One of them said that a family friend had a V15 for sale and would let us check it out.

Long story short it is almost complete, save for sails and a dagger-board...but one other thing. I decided to crouch and check the hull for soft spots, upon compressing a random patch of fiberglass (near mast step on the starboard side of the hull bottom, right at the waterline), I was horrified to find that without applying much force at all, visible displacement was created. 

I told the fleet member that I would not touch that V15 with a 10 foot pole, but they insisted on using the "wear" as a bargaining chip. Can someone please tell me if I am missing something here?

Please tell me the color scheme.

5 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

To create the soft spot? I was under the impression that the V15 was a foam sandwich boat.

Not foam. Ues sabdeich. Doesnt matter. Fiberglass id not ductile.one overloadvandvthat spot isvfloppy. Bad placement on avtrsilervetc will do it. Just once.

28 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Not foam. Ues sabdeich. Doesnt matter. Fiberglass id not ductile.one overloadvandvthat spot isvfloppy. Bad placement on avtrsilervetc will do it. Just once.

Everybody has a screwed up keyboard some times. Here's the translation "Not foam. Uses soric (yes but only in later models. Earlier on it was coremat). Doesn't matter. Fiberglass is not ductile. One overload and that spot is floppy. Bad placement on a trailer will do it. Just once."

Also this isn't a remarkable finding. Core-shear and raceboats go hand in hand. Azzam had to get a big chunk of her starboard topside below the waterline bolted back together in the middle of the pacific a few ocean races back. 

DRC

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Dave Clark said:

Everybody has a screwed up keyboard some times. Here's the translation "Not foam. Uses soric (yes but only in later models. Earlier on it was coremat). Doesn't matter. Fiberglass is not ductile. One overload and that spot is floppy. Bad placement on a trailer will do it. Just once."

Also this isn't a remarkable finding. Core-shear and raceboats go hand in hand. Azzam had to get a big chunk of her starboard topside below the waterline bolted back together in the middle of the pacific a few ocean races back. 

DRC

Thanks for the translation. This leads me to believe that you think that this soft spot is not a deal ender?

3 hours ago, Dave Clark said:
3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Everybody has a screwed up keyboard some times.

:lol::lol:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

DRC

So maybe (considering it has no other problems) the boat is worth a couple hundred bucks? 

I have fixed 2 boats that fit that description.  Basically grind off much of the old skin (belt sander) and replace with something woven, fair and finish. The stringer underneath is probably in good shape and provides a decent foundation for the new skin.  Both boats still going strong.  A solid week of effort per boat.

8 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

So maybe (considering it has no other problems) the boat is worth a couple hundred bucks? 

$1500

DRC

edit. to clarify. ALL fiberglass boats worth sailing get soft. That's not the end of the story for them.

• Like 1

Since I'd much rather spend a week rebuilding a boat worth sailing than doing that thing I call work, the time value of money for that job is about $500.  That would put you in at $2k for a bullet-proof v15.  Bargain.

5 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

The guy is not asking nearly even half that much, wow.

Then it's a total steal and your friend should jump on it. If it was $1500 for a brand new Hunter 15 with spare sails, a trailer, and several liters of rum I'd offer $100. A few hundred for a V15 in that shape is a great bargain. 

DRC

• Like 1