Battery Anarchy

Brother has a boat with twin 320 HP Yanmars.  Each has it's own 2 battery bank and the two banks cannot be paralleled to overcome a weak battery bank on the opposite side. Either or both perform the House Bank function.  Rewiring the selector switches is not an option.  He has 2 newish deep cycle batteries batteries in one starting/house bank.  He does not know why he did that 1 year ago.  He needs two batteries for the other bank. Can he buy 2 starting batteries and put a starting and deep cycle battery in parallel in each bank?

4 hours ago, warbird said:

Brother has a boat with twin 320 HP Yanmars.  Each has it's own 2 battery bank and the two banks cannot be paralleled to overcome a weak battery bank on the opposite side. Either or both perform the House Bank function.  Rewiring the selector switches is not an option.  He has 2 newish deep cycle batteries batteries in one starting/house bank.  He does not know why he did that 1 year ago.  He needs two batteries for the other bank. Can he buy 2 starting batteries and put a starting and deep cycle battery in parallel in each bank?

Sounds like a powerboater problem to me

A parallel connection is easy - take a cable off of each output lug on the two selector switches. install a on/off batt switch to connect those two new cables. Voila! full function combiner. Real q is how big a "house" bank does he need? With modern 'battery combiner' units he could have a separate house bank. Engines should start on just one batt apiece.

Otherwise, as long as both (mixed) batts are from same company, both same style, mixing will work.

Hard wired already to battery bank on/off switches.  This is a 25 year old Intrepid .  On off switches for each side are snaked into the cockpit switches, port and starboard. These are on/off not off/1/2/both.  The load is lights, head, instruments bilge pumps and exhaust fan. Microwave and fridge are shore AC only. No genset. 

37 minutes ago, longy said:

Pls re-read & make a sketch if necessary. What I describe will combine both batt banks.

Each bank is seperate. They will not be combined. This is really just a question  if having 1 deep cycle and 1 starting battery paralleled.

10 hours ago, crankcall said:

They sell a thing called deepcycle / starting battery, I just put one in my boat. He could stick those in there and kill two birds with one stone?

I will look at his when I lift him in today. Maybe there is no problem..