I finally got my boat balanced like i want it

Has at least the life lines damaged on the starboard side, any other story about what happened?

Must have been bouncing off those rock til the tide went out. Kelp on the lifeline and one stanchion bent out and another torn off or out of its base. I’m impressed there’s not any noticeable chafe on the topsides

On 8/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, Ned said:

I'm curious about the note taped to the topsides.  

Looks like the standard arrested/impounded boat notice.

18391221_G.jpg?auto=webp&disable=upscale

EUHIR2I7NZD6JMCONJMKPC6GXY.png

Sort of the equivalent of the orange or green tow tag stuck on the driver side window of cars abandoned on a freeway. "Come claim your shit, move it from here, and pay us all outstanding damages/storage fees/parking fines, or we auction this vehicle off or send it to the crusher."

Oh yes, they use lots of blue tape here....  because Hawaii is where boating dreams go to die a slow withering death.  

I am mostly curious what sort of bureaucratic brilliance they are putting on the note.  Hey, no parking on the dock?  

• Downvote 1
22 hours ago, Liquid said:

I'd do a test run in the Caribbean first!

Far more user friendly...

Instead of a >2k mile test sail mostly off the wind?  So the point of no return for many is only a few hundred miles off the coast?  

Then this happens vvvv

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/d/haleiwa-50-ft-aluminum-sailing-trimaran/7174370893.html

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Instead of a >2k mile test sail mostly off the wind?  So the point of no return for many is only a few hundred miles off the coast?  

Then this happens vvvv

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/d/haleiwa-50-ft-aluminum-sailing-trimaran/7174370893.html

That thing made it Hawaii, who would have thought.

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Ned, it's not the 'making it there part' that is the test of decaying dreams in/to HI. HI is just a few islands in the middle of the Pacific (you live there)! 

Uniformed dreamers probably see it as a destination....

Fiji is still 3K miles away!!! 

WikiFu:

"The Caribbean archipelago encompasses more than 7,000 individual islands in a region of approximately 1 million square miles. There are 13 sovereign island nations and 12 dependent territories, with close political ties throughout the region to Europe and the United States."

How close is the next sovereign island to Hawaii?

1,337 miles away: Christmas Island (so says google..)

Standing by it: I'd start my liveaboard test run in the Caribbean, not HI!

21 hours ago, Liquid said:

Ned, it's not the 'making it there part' that is the test of decaying dreams in/to HI. HI is just a few islands in the middle of the Pacific (you live there)! 

Uniformed dreamers probably see it as a destination....

Fiji is still 3K miles away!!! 

WikiFu:

"The Caribbean archipelago encompasses more than 7,000 individual islands in a region of approximately 1 million square miles. There are 13 sovereign island nations and 12 dependent territories, with close political ties throughout the region to Europe and the United States."

How close is the next sovereign island to Hawaii?

1,337 miles away: Christmas Island (so says google..)

Standing by it: I'd start my liveaboard test run in the Caribbean, not HI!

Liquid,

Have lived here since 1986.  Boats sail down from the Left Coast and park.  Part of the problem is no where else is close and easy to get to.  So boats collect, wither, and die just like the misinformed dreams and intentions of people who didn't sail much before setting off into the sunset and then finding the marketing and fulfillment departments at Dreamco didn't really care about what had been fantasized because after all sailing in the actual ocean was involved.  

From a guy seeing Keehi Lagoon for the first time, mid 1980's: "So this is where sailboats go to die."  

On 8/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, Amati said:

Kind of like Swantown at low tide.

Would a Scheel Keel help at moments like this?

Speaking as the owner of a boat with a Scheel Keel, I'll say that it does have a flat "foot" but it's certainly no wing keel. 

If I found myself in Defiant's position, I'd tell my wife "Nobody moves, nobody breathes until the tide comes back in."

• Like 2