US built torsion axel Combi trailer

Are there any US manufacturers of a rapide style combi trailer?  Looking for an option to carry 2 15' dingy's.  All our boat trailers seem to have leaf springs but looking for a a lower profile torsion axle.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Fretz said:

Are there any US manufacturers of a rapide style combi trailer?  Looking for an option to carry 2 15' dingy's.  All our boat trailers seem to have leaf springs but looking for a a lower profile torsion axle.

Thanks

I looked for decent solutions in the US for two boats and finally decided that it would be better to design my own, but the Swift Solo is a little harder to accommodate than many since it's so wide. I did go with a steel trailer with leaf springs, but again, that was mostly to accommodate the Swift's existing cradle dimensions and be wide enough to have uprights for a folding second level.

Iirc Trailex makes small torsion spring trailers, and you could build a second level easily with their parts. They're aluminum and really light but it wouldn't be cheap, and it wouldn't lower. The Seitech/Dynamic solution has the same limitation. Since I wanted to be able to load/unload both boats on my own, I ended up back at the custom solution...which also turned out not to be at all cheap....

IMG_5145.jpg

• Like 1

There isn't a US builder.  Triad trailers out of Connecticut began building them many years ago but I think that the need for so many variations got to be a little tiring.  We sold one set for a 505 which was part of the origin of that product.  

One thing to consider would be to contact an RS Sailing dealer in the US and ask about borrowing some of their container space next time they get a shipment of boats from England.  The British companies are usually pretty good about working with each other.  You might be able to get the Mersea combi that you want delivered to RS and then loaded with a couple of RS boats for the trip.  https://www.merseatrailers.com 

• Like 1

You may consider a drift boat trailer. They look like a possible easy conversion to a combi-style. The fill width roller at the back of the trailer could make handling the dolly easy. A Google search shows that many these manufacturers use torsion axels. Several US producers - most in the Western US but one is in North Carolina.

Here's one link: https://adiposeboatworks.com/trailers-2/drift-trailers/

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.40.08 PM.png

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

You may consider a drift boat trailer. They look like a possible easy conversion to a combi-style. The fill width roller at the back of the trailer could make handling the dolly easy. A Google search shows that many these manufacturers use torsion axels. Several US producers - most in the Western US but one is in North Carolina.

Here's one link: https://adiposeboatworks.com/trailers-2/drift-trailers/

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.40.08 PM.png

I looked up and down for one of those as they almost always have good axle/wheel combos too.  The problem is, like a drift boat, they're darn expensive and really hard to find without a boat on top.  A double PWC trailer is easier to find and less expensive but they don't have as big of a wheel/tire combo on them for highway speed.

7 minutes ago, WCB said:

I looked up and down for one of those as they almost always have good axle/wheel combos too.  The problem is, like a drift boat, they're darn expensive and really hard to find without a boat on top.  A double PWC trailer is easier to find and less expensive but they don't have as big of a wheel/tire combo on them for highway speed.

Yep, anything related to fly fishing has quite the sticker shock. I saw some of these trailers listed in the range of $2900 but when you're paying over $1000 for a fly rod what's another $2900! Still may be worth pursuing versus the cost of ocean freight from UK. I have not seen a used one without a drift boat.

Speaking of drift boats, when moving here (southwest Montana) a comment made more than once when someone say my wooden Thistle - "that's a strange looking drift boat"

5 hours ago, Fretz said:

Thanks

You could modify an existing trailer.  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-towing+trailer-axles+2-000-7-000-lb.-trailer-torsion-axles

However, if you put a 2200 lb axle under a 500 lb load, it might not be as compliant as you'd like and transfer a lot of shock to the load.

17 hours ago, Teener said:

You could modify an existing trailer.  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-towing+trailer-axles+2-000-7-000-lb.-trailer-torsion-axles

However, if you put a 2200 lb axle under a 500 lb load, it might not be as compliant as you'd like and transfer a lot of shock to the load.

On both my previous Harbor Freight boat trailer (for just the Force 5) and this Shoreland'r, I removed one leaf from the spring pack. On this trailer, I also switched to radial tires on 12" alloy wheels. The combo is balanced as with car tires and uses lower than max tire pressure. It rides acceptably well, though with both boats all all of the associated stuff on, I'm probably close to the gross trailer weight anyway.

I don't drag the boats often, but when I do, it's for 500mi at a time, at speeds up to about 80mph, so if something in my setup doesn't work, it shows itself pretty quickly. So far, no problems at all.

These are what I use.  Google half torsion axles and there are a plethora of options.

https://www.truckspring.com/products/FlexiRide-Torsion-Half-Axles-Non-Adjustable-5-45-Inch-Bolt-Circle-Hubs-550-lbs-Capacity__FF-55-2.aspx  

I've built 2 nesting trailer dolly combo's in my garage for my 505's and a trailer to nest with a dolly for a Contender for a friend.  All of them were galvanized afterwards.  I bought a cheap 120v mig welder to build them.

Mine are lighter than Rapides as I use 1x2 tubing instead of 2x2.  I figure they use 2x2's for their doubles so 1x2 would be fine.  My 505 trailer is 16 years old and has been from Canada to Florida and everywhere in between many times over 17 years.

When I bought my first 505 it came with a nesting combo made by Triad. I think the dolly alone weighed almost as much as my combo.  I couldn't find anything and to get a Rapide imported would take months which lead me to building my own.  I measured and took pic's of a rapide combo at a regatta.  Mine are slightly different.