trapezing non slip for gunwales

Do you also need to be able to hike over it? I used 3m gray safety walk. I did need to replace it every year or so due to the Florida sun. Its a bit aggressive to hike on, though, and will eat up wetsuits if you don't feed it board shorts instead 

• Like 1

On timber Fireballs we used to use a 2 or 3mm parachute cord, drill Vertical holes about 10mm apart and 10mm Inboard from the outer most point if the gunwale capping, then lace the rope through it. It lasts a long time and is not too abrasive, just make sure you get plenty of thinned down varnish in all the holes before threading the cord.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Major Tom said:

On timber Fireballs we used to use a 2 or 3mm parachute cord, drill Vertical holes about 10mm apart and 10mm Inboard from the outer most point if the gunwale capping, then lace the rope through it. It lasts a long time and is not too abrasive, just make sure you get plenty of thinned down varnish in all the holes before threading the cord.

+1

12 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

Do you also need to be able to hike over it? I used 3m gray safety walk. I did need to replace it every year or so due to the Florida sun. Its a bit aggressive to hike on, though, and will eat up wetsuits if you don't feed it board shorts instead 

yes, I would need to hike over it.

Also treadmaster https://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?Details=31699&mc=Hardware&sc=Non Slip&ssc=Treadmaster I get lots of stuff from P&B with shipping it's often cheaper than buying here and I usually have it in a week.  The pound is $1.31 today. $70 for a sheet 1200x900mm

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9727 $186.46 a sheet 35.5x47.5"

I was just about to post Pinnel & Bax.  I use progrip.  I have a nice set of blue ready to go on my 505 after I do what you did, @dburchfiel and repaint the boat.

https://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?Details=32364&mc=Hardware&sc=Non Slip&ssc=&sssc=&ordering= 

That 3M grip tape is vicious, I wouldn't suggest that.  

One thing that you may want to consider is using kiwi grip paint.  If you want more of a permanent solution, you could tape off and paint just the trapping area.  Kiwi grip is easy to use.

I find the 300 series is fine and won't skin the knuckles.  Lots of 505's are using it.  It has a textured rubber surface and is designed for locker rooms showers and boats where it won't hurt bare feet. The 600 series that you can get at Home depot or Lowes is the bad stuff,  has a mineral surface and will draw blood!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

On my Mg14 when I was a kid dad rolled on sikaflex to the gunnels. Used a roller that made it really textured. It was really grippy on bare feet and looked good. Didn't wear the wetsuit or trap harness. Lasted about 2 years before we needed to do it again.