I’m impressed. Launching one boat per year didn’t seem like a viable business plan. I would’ve thought a “going out of business” announcement would’ve come next. 

I guess things are better than they look. Congrats. 

6 hours ago, soma said:

I’m impressed. Launching one boat per year didn’t seem like a viable business plan. I would’ve thought a “going out of business” announcement would’ve come next. 

I guess things are better than they look. Congrats. 

well, the design and build of the first 68 was always going to be a long time.., it is an amazing boat.

but that was launched in early 2019, and now #3 in mid 2020 - so that's 3 boats in ~18 months.

they are doing a great job in LGM, and the GB brand could not have landed in better hands than GLY.

for sure, there is going to be more and more competition in this segment - ultra high-end high-performance cruising catamarans - but the shift to multihulls will only accelerate. i don't think there is anything better than the 68 out there now in that category. HH is building fast boats, but they are not at this level of refinement. other than that, there are a lot of designs - and a few have been built - but with GLY / GB on #4 now, I'm pretty sure they are getting it dialed in - where else would you go for a boat like this?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, us7070 said:

well, the design and build of the first 68 was always going to be a long time.., it is an amazing boat.

but that was launched in early 2019, and now #3 in mid 2020 - so that's 3 boats in ~18 months.

they are doing a great job in LGM, and the GB brand could not have landed in better hands than GLY.

for sure, there is going to be more and more competition in this segment - ultra high-end high-performance cruising catamarans - but the shift to multihulls will only accelerate. i don't think there is anything better than the 68 out there now in that category. HH is building fast boats, but they are not at this level of refinement. other than that, there are a lot of designs - and a few have been built - but with GLY / GB on #4 now, I'm pretty sure they are getting it dialed in - where else would you go for a boat like this?

I know what HH and GB is, but what is LGM and GLY? Must be code that only the cool people know.

11 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I know what HH and GB is, but what is LGM and GLY? Must be code that only the cool people know.

Its Grand Large Yachting and despite the name they seem to be doing a very good job with Gunboat.  Other than some ex-employees who seem to like to throw shade I have heard nothing but positives. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wess said:

Its Grand Large Yachting and despite the name they seem to be doing a very good job with Gunboat.  Other than some ex-employees who seem to like to throw shade I have heard nothing but positives. 

Well, I'm an ex-employee, and if you gave me the money to pick whichever boat I want on the market, I'd just drive straight to La Grande-Motte. :D

If you also pay for berthing and crew, I'd go to the Gunboat shed, otherwise I'd stick with something more reasonable from the workshop next door. A 4X probably.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Well, I'm an ex-employee, and if you gave me the money to pick whichever boat I want on the market, I'd just drive straight to La Grande-Motte. :D

If you also pay for berthing and crew, I'd go to the Gunboat shed, otherwise I'd stick with something more reasonable from the workshop next door. A 4X probably.

Yea the wife and I may well be checking out that same workshop. Outremer (also a GLY company) is more our flavor as owner/operators. To be fair there are a lot of GLY companies that impress me (as a boater).

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Wess said:

Yea the wife and I may well be checking out that same workshop. Outremer (also a GLY company) is more our flavor as owner/operators. To be fair there are a lot of GLY companies that impress me (as a boater).

GLY owns some very cool brands

picking  up RM seems a bit of a gamble, but I'm guessing it didn't cost much. They are interesting boats - i was able to look one over (from the outside) a few days ago. It was on the hard at the yard where i wintered. it is a twin keel version. i finally saw it in the water and could see the cockpit and deck. They sort of have the same target use, but I'm sure at a fraction of the price, as the aluminum monohulls from GLY. The fit and finish is a bit workman-like, but i'm sure they get the job done, and it keeps the price reasonable.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, us7070 said:

GLY owns some very cool brands

picking  up RM seems a bit of a gamble, but I'm guessing it didn't cost much. They are interesting boats - i was able to look one over (from the outside) a few days ago. It was on the hard at the yard where i wintered. it is a twin keel version. i finally saw it in the water and could see the cockpit and deck. They sort of have the same target use, but I'm sure at a fraction of the price, as the aluminum monohulls from GLY. The fit and finish is a bit workman-like, but i'm sure they get the job done, and it keeps the price reasonable.

Yea I don't know the RM yard or the rationale for that acquisition but the brands they have are all pretty cool and aligned with our interests.  OK maybe GB not so much but if you gave us one... and the budget for crew and maintenance...  I suppose we would be willing to suffer in silence.  Actually AC temp controlled silence so not so much suffering LOL. 

1 hour ago, Vincent said:

To clarify, I'd do the same thing. If not the 68, then the new O55 looks sharp. I'm sure the GB80 will be dope AF, too. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, soma said:

To clarify, I'd do the same thing. If not the 68, then the new O55 looks sharp. I'm sure the GB80 will be dope AF, too. 

Where did you folks ever get to?  Not still in Carib or VIs are you?

45 minutes ago, Wess said:

Where did you folks ever get to?  Not still in Carib or VIs are you?

We are in the Grenadines. We spent the first part of the pandemic in Dominica, then when everyone went full lockdowm we backtracked to our house on St. John. Once hurricane season fired up and the S. Caribbean re-opened we sailed down here to St. Vincent. Sometime soon we'll hop to Grenada to get in their bubble. They require a strict 2--weeek quarantine aboard before allowing yachts in. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, soma said:

We are in the Grenadines. We spent the first part of the pandemic in Dominica, then when everyone went full lockdowm we backtracked to our house on St. John. Once hurricane season fired up and the S. Caribbean re-opened we sailed down here to St. Vincent. Sometime soon we'll hop to Grenada to get in their bubble. They require a strict 2--weeek quarantine aboard before allowing yachts in. 

Ah so you folks are dodging covid and hurricanes. Good luck with both.

Back to GB80...

That's well done. I'm excited. I believe that most people who can afford an 80 ft sailboat, want it actually frigging sail. I know that a Sunreef with 18 fridges and 3 icemakers are great at the dock, but to start clocking past 13knots average, you have to have a light boat.

More pics!!!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mpenman said:

Not a fan of house stepped mast. Cannot get to it without going on the roof.

Come'on @Greenflash say it ain't so. 

You would have servants on board this boat.

26 minutes ago, tofi33 said:

flybridge on a GB!

that is an upgraded VPLP 78
https://vplp.fr/realisation/vplp-78/58.html

That 78 looks like a deck sweeper.  Downgrade imo

Apologies for the slow replies we've been doing a lot of sailing on 68-03 over here, in lieu of the Cannes Boat Show. For prospective clients it's been much more valuable than a show visit, of course we would have loved to show the boat to more people. Next year, I hope life is more back to normal! 

I'll answer some of the questions with a little info - forgive the cloak and dagger but this is early days and we're trying to be respectful to the owners with whom we are still working through some of the steps of the project. 

On 9/6/2020 at 5:05 AM, vokstar said:

The renders are in.. I'm guessing there will be many tongues wagging about the steering position at the rear. Be interesting to see what is going on in the forward cockpit too. I think in the 68 they wanted the mast further back and have achieved it with the 80. 

https://www.gunboat.com/series/gunboat-80/

Ah ha! It's finally happening - aft helms on a Gunboat.  Here's the deal: We will do either only inside, only outside or both (Since we believe tiller steering won't be great on a boat this size). Many people love to be outside when the weather is nice. Many are happy for that the be the only spot, with a good nav station, throttles and pilot controls inside. 

We've still got a forward cockpit with centralized control of lines, while at a minimum the main sail controls will be at each helm+ nav - push button. This boat will likely go one step further with powered/automated controls, but that is entirely owner driven. Our ethos is to keep things simple and have backups for the majority of the functions. 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, mpenman said:

Not a fan of house stepped mast. Cannot get to it without going on the roof.

Come'on @Greenflash say it ain't so. 

Sorry mate, VPLP wanted to put the 68 rig on the roof and we felt it was too much of a step (excuse the pun!). We ended up moving it half a meter aft.

We are creating a giant salon on the 80, so the ratio really doesn't work well anymore, you would have a long boom and huge main that still has to be handled by 2-3 crew, so there is compelling reason to put it on the cabin top and create a little plinth for halyards in the cockpit. The aspect ratios are better, the "J" is much bigger allowing for a much bigger solent/jib/J2 on a self tacking track in front of the rig. Our forward cockpit has been completely redesigned to be as much of a lounging area as a working area.  Other than the usual sail ties for reefs, there is no reason to go to the roof as all the line handling and rope-holding is done at the cockpit level. 

It certainly is a big decision to make and one that we plan to integrate seamlessly to create a more balanced result. 

On 9/6/2020 at 9:17 PM, tofi33 said:

flybridge on a GB!

Ha ha - We call that the "fly lounge", it is to be used at anchor only - if it were to be used when sailing it would mean raising the boom higher, and that comes with performance compromises. You have the choice of a flat roof covered in solar, a fly lounge or my favorite: use the fly lounge volume to create a SUP/Kiteboard/Surfboard storage box, with a hard composite cover, that can be hinged up. This cover can be fully flush and covered in solar panels. 

Appreciate the feedback and support. More coming.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Greenflash said:

Sorry mate, VPLP wanted to put the 68 rig on the roof and we felt it was too much of a step (excuse the pun!). We ended up moving it half a meter aft.

We are creating a giant salon on the 80, so the ratio really doesn't work well anymore, you would have a long boom and huge main that still has to be handled by 2-3 crew, so there is compelling reason to put it on the cabin top and create a little plinth for halyards in the cockpit. The aspect ratios are better, the "J" is much bigger allowing for a much bigger solent/jib/J2 on a self tacking track in front of the rig. Our forward cockpit has been completely redesigned to be as much of a lounging area as a working area.  Other than the usual sail ties for reefs, there is no reason to go to the roof as all the line handling and rope-holding is done at the cockpit level. 

I figured that was the reason. You loose a fair bit of volume if you bring the forward cockpit aft.

Once again has nice lines and reminds me of the total open house found on the Catana 70. Very, very similar. 

I prefer solar over lounging, although I will admit, that's a nice spot for a nap!!!!!

Lovely lines, very lovely.

I'm psyched to see an eighty!!!!! Well done.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Greenflash said:

much bigger solent/jib/J2 on a self tacking track in front of the rig

Does the track run just in front of the mast, on the roof, or in front of the forward cockpit, or somewhere else I haven't thought of?

Will it be sacrificing some sail area or will you be able to do some decksweeper wizardry with battens like they have on MACIF?

image.png.a960c65cc9009e483638c69f2ac212f1.png