Newport 21 / 212 ?

Is this the right place for this? I've only ever been in the dinghy section....

My neighbor at the lake recently found himself with what he told me is a Newport 21. It's been a long time since he's sailed anything and he keeps coming to me because he sees me out every day, but I sail singlehanded dinghies. Does anyone know anything about these boats? Anything special to know? There's almost no info online.

I'm mostly concerned with setup, because his spreaders and shrouds look sketchy to me, and I don't want him to lose the rig....

40 minutes ago, posaune said:

Is this the right place for this? I've only ever been in the dinghy section....

My neighbor at the lake recently found himself with what he told me is a Newport 21. It's been a long time since he's sailed anything and he keeps coming to me because he sees me out every day, but I sail singlehanded dinghies. Does anyone know anything about these boats? Anything special to know? There's almost no info online.

I'm mostly concerned with setup, because his spreaders and shrouds look sketchy to me, and I don't want him to lose the rig....

Like this?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-212

Definitely not a sportboat... best try regular SA. However, before going away, if you don't begrudge him the time, definitely check the whole of standing rigging from whatever the chainplates are bolted to inside (probably soggy plywood) all the way up. If the spreaders are sketchy, that will definitely be a problem in any breeze with this single-wire rig. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, though

FB- Doug

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Like this?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-212

Definitely not a sportboat... best try regular SA. However, before going away, if you don't begrudge him the time, definitely check the whole of standing rigging from whatever the chainplates are bolted to inside (probably soggy plywood) all the way up. If the spreaders are sketchy, that will definitely be a problem in any breeze with this single-wire rig. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, though

FB- Doug

Yeah, that's the one. The only info I've really found on it is that the lifting tackle for the keel gets scary with age and is hard to fix because of [lack of] access. I know that he's mentioned not being sure how to work the keel. That...does not inspire confidence. :lol:

It's currently in the water with the mast up, so there's not much I can do about the spreaders, but they look...well, think kid-pretending-to-be-an-airplane... Also, everything is taped, so I can't even SEE what's going on. 

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the misplacement. I'll post in regular SA.

• Like 1