Sign in to follow this  
Bob Perry

Westerly Marine is shutting down

I got an email yesterday saying that Steve and Lynn at Westerly have decided to call it quits. I suspect retirement was coming but I hate to see such a great yard close. They built four of my boats and they did a fabulous job.

FRC upwind - Copy.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry to hear this. They consistently put out a very high quality product. 

That's heartbreaking.  One of the last - and arguably the best (along with Dencho, but they're already gone) builders in SoCal

Have raced on a number of boats they built.  Always top-quality.

Other than Betts, who else would be an equally suitable builder? 

1 hour ago, sunseeker said:

What happens to the IC 37 molds?

I would have thought that could sustain them or at least make the business attractive to a buyer.  Or they aren't building as many as the Melges marketing team wants us to believe?  Regardless, it's sad.  Betts seems to be the last American yard standing.

41 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

I would have thought that could sustain them or at least make the business attractive to a buyer.  Or they aren't building as many as the Melges marketing team wants us to believe?  Regardless, it's sad.  Betts seems to be the last American yard standing.

The price they were being asked/required to get down to was way too low. It's the C&C 30 all over again with a couple very minor differences. The cast of characters was very similar too.

• Like 3

Such an excellent yard, such beautifully built boats, such good production processes, a skilled and coordinated team, and -- perhaps surprisingly to those who don't do business in Los Angeles -- the ability to build completed yachts with such quality at prices that were competitive globally, including with China.

Their boats have always been outstanding.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mulligan said:

Damn, they built some nice boats.

9050668F-298E-4681-961D-4AD07DBB47F2.jpeg

Hey, My old boat.  One of the best MORC boats ever and a great PHRF boat too.  Sorry to hear those guys are wrapping it up but they did a great job for a long time.  They will be missed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sledracr said:

That's heartbreaking.  One of the last - and arguably the best (along with Dencho, but they're already gone) builders in SoCal

Have raced on a number of boats they built.  Always top-quality.

Dencho is still in business in the same building he's been in for years.

• Like 1

Dennis has had his influence on a lot of great projects. But, Lynn and Steve have been more progressive in their process. I guess high tech prohects will need to go to Anacortes for complete builds.

10 minutes ago, CunninghamTrimmer said:

Google says Dencho is "permanently closed"

I wonder why the staff didn't take over the company in one way or another?

Just shutting it down means everybody loses.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I wonder why the staff didn't take over the company in one way or another?

Just shutting it down means everybody loses.

i'm guessing just not enough business

29 minutes ago, KwickDraw said:

he ain't

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CunninghamTrimmer said:

Dencho Marine filed Chapter 7 a few years ago (2016)

Dennis may well be in the same building, and is likely building surfboards, but I haven't heard of a boat-build project in his shop anytime recently.

I'd love to be wrong.  He's a legend.

ETA: since 2018, is in business as "Diversified Composites" at the same address on 15th...

4 minutes ago, Editor said:

If they own the land, it’s worth far more than what they would net building boats in the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sunseeker said:

If they own the land, it’s worth far more than what they would net building boats in the next couple of years. 

The Quantum loft a couple of blocks away and Shutts Fab have been pushed out of the neighborhood.  Shutts is in Huntington Beach now, Quantum is trying to figure out what to do!

2 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Dencho Marine filed Chapter 7 a few years ago (2016)

Dennis may well be in the same building, and is likely building surfboards, but I haven't heard of a boat-build project in his shop anytime recently.

I'd love to be wrong.  He's a legend.

He's still open under a new name on the same premises.  Completed a very expensive re-fit for the Farr 55 Amazing Grace last year and also did the re-fit for Merlin ahead of TP '19.  Bunch of other projects going too.

Btw, one cannot compare Dencho to Westerly.  The quality and finish of a Westerly product was head and shoulders above Dencho.

9 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

He's still open under a new name on the same premises.  Completed a very expensive re-fit for the Farr 55 Amazing Grace last year and also did the re-fit for Merlin ahead of TP '19.  Bunch of other projects going too.

Btw, one cannot compare Dencho to Westerly.  The quality and finish of a Westerly product was head and shoulders above Dencho.

Westerly built yachts. Dencho builds boats.

10 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Damn. Wish I'd thought of that!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Dennis built what he got paid to build.  Mike Campbell's come to mind.  Lots of others wanted cheap boats.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Editor said:

I thought I read retirement somewhere.

22 hours ago, KwickDraw said:

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

21 hours ago, sunseeker said:

It is beyond a stretch to call a ic 37 a yacht.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:03 AM, Mulligan said:

Damn, they built some nice boats.

9050668F-298E-4681-961D-4AD07DBB47F2.jpeg

I raced a fair bit on your competition Amorous. Those were good years!

On 8/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, Swimsailor said:

There are New England Boatworks and Hodgon Yachts (Comanche) still in business in the northeast with the ability to compete with Betts and Westerly on quality, among other smaller outfits. Aquidneck custom composites comes to mind as another pro builder. TPI is still turning out J/boats, not the same level as the customs but the latest rides look the part. More than we can say of group Beneteau who closed the door in SC, which sadly foreshadows the continued drop in new sailboat sales while similar sized powerboats can’t be kept in stock.

• Like 1

New England Boatworks have not built a single sailboat in the last 2 years unless they have just recently started something.  I'm not there to check.  Their last build was Bella Mente.

So for those of us not in the know, what type/design is the good yacht Scooter apparently at King Harbor YC in the photos above?

Thread drift time. Post a pic of an ugly Schumacher design.  Bet you cant

6 hours ago, samc99us said:

There are New England Boatworks and Hodgon Yachts (Comanche) still in business in the northeast with the ability to compete with Betts and Westerly on quality, among other smaller outfits. Aquidneck custom composites comes to mind as another pro builder. TPI is still turning out J/boats, not the same level as the customs but the latest rides look the part. More than we can say of group Beneteau who closed the door in SC, which sadly foreshadows the continued drop in new sailboat sales while similar sized powerboats can’t be kept in stock.

If I wanted a custom build in the NE between 35'-100', I'd call Brooklin Boat Yard.

7 hours ago, samc99us said:

TPI is still turning out J/boats, 

No they are not. The only boats that occasionally sell (70 and 121) are built at C&C Fiberglass

Other than Betts, who else would be an equally suitable builder? 

Schooner Creek Boatworks is still turning out boats.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:47 AM, silent bob said:

Dennis built what he got paid to build.  Mike Campbell's come to mind.  Lots of others wanted cheap boats.

Choater and Charlie could easily match Westerly in quality  and accuracy if you paid Westerlies prices. Dencho boats won a lot of races for owners who had budget constraints. Both builders served Southern California well and should be respected. (I did several projects with both yards and have high praise for them).

• Like 2

To Bob Perry:  This is a love note from the owner of x-Illusion...your 63 (67) aluminum cutter built by Howdy Baily and now named Dancin' Bare V.

I've had the privilege of owning her for 1.5 years and could not be more impressed with her design, seakindlyness, craftmanship and pedigree.  I love her, and respect her.  We cruise and race her.  The results have been poor, but the food and fun extraordinary.  Anyone else get to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm during the Lauderdale to Key West Race?

Thanks Bob for all you do, and creating perfect proportions on this mini-mega yacht.

Jeff Lichterman

jlichterman@yahoo.com

z5J-KcWQ.jpeg.thumb.jpg.2a7cd0f4cde814356f6881c9e62b1bf8.jpg

53 minutes ago, jlichterman said:

To Bob Perry:  This is a love note from the owner of x-Illusion...your 63 (67) aluminum cutter built by Howdy Baily and now named Dancin' Bare V.

I've had the privilege of owning her for 1.5 years and could not be more impressed with her design, seakindlyness, craftmanship and pedigree. z5J-KcWQ.jpeg.thumb.jpg.2a7cd0f4cde814356f6881c9e62b1bf8.jpg

Howdy Baily is an amazing guy! I have one of his wooden creations: a work of art.

• Like 1

She should also be described as a Expedition ship with her aluminum hull, 3 crash bulkheads and many redundant systems.  She was abandoned off Cape Hatteras in a 2008 storm which sunk a Little Harbor.  Illusion survived on her own and washed up on Wrightsville Beach with only a bent rudder.  In 2015 her rig was broken by a shipyard so now she has a Hall carbon spar and all dynema running rigging.  She is plenty fast on a reach, but you can't tack her without rolling up a sail.