Star Boat article from the "front page"

I know a Star isn't a dinghy but seems like a good place to post this Link as I think some people don't look at the "front page" of SA and there are some Star sailers here.

Cool story.

https://sailinganarchy.com/2020/08/19/star-struck/

Cue the "what front page" responses! :D

• Like 2

Jon Van Der Molen in Michigan has been restoring historic Stars for a couple years and sold the molds to the (at the time) world's fastest boats so he could restore some 50+ year old wood boats, every year there's a regatta where the big guns (Cayard, Grael, Melleby, Etc.) come and sail classic boats with modern rigs and sails, the boats are GORGEOUS and it's a riot.

https://vintagegoldcup.com/

194024D1-8EDC-4B47-9411-C1357D480CFC.jpeg

1F49927F-CC88-4DAA-9285-E7FDD14A8C8D.jpeg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, fastyacht said:

That looks like an italian trailer

It is...it was sitting empty in NJ and it was a far better move than trying to get 3324's trailer up to speed to make the trip here.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, Steam Flyer said:

A Star is kind of a big dinghy. They definitely capsize like one.

FB- Doug

mmmm, no. It's a keelboat. Notice that big iron heavy structure under the star. that's a keel. They do not capsize like a dinghy at all. A star will heel way over but will come upright. Dinghies will flip over pretty easily .  Big difference. I've sailed stars and finns for many years. Big difference. I 

16 minutes ago, surf nazi said:
On 8/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, Steam Flyer said:

A Star is kind of a big dinghy. They definitely capsize like one.

mmmm, no. It's a keelboat. Notice that big iron heavy structure under the star. that's a keel. They do not capsize like a dinghy at all. A star will heel way over but will come upright. Dinghies will flip over pretty easily .  Big difference. I've sailed stars and finns for many years. Big difference. I 

I've sailed 'em too, and yeah that big heavy thing does help. I didn't say they capsized "easily."

But if you've never seen a Star capsize in gust or in a gybe, then you've led a sheltered life. Probably haven't seen any masts fold up, either?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've sailed 'em too, and yeah that big heavy thing does help. I didn't say they capsized "easily."

But if you've never seen a Star capsize in gust or in a gybe, then you've led a sheltered life. Probably haven't seen any masts fold up, either?

FB- Doug

You said they capsize like a dinghy. They don't. Dinghies capsize easily. Stars do not. Capsize means to overturn in water, that is upside down . I''m willing to bet that I've been sailing in stars in more wind more times than you. I've seen stars sink , get dismasted, have brokenmats, crash, break in pieces, fall off hoists, fall off trailers  but have only seen one star keel in the air and it then came back upright immediately sans rig ( vince brun 1988 na's ithaca, n.y. ) after a jibe in around 30 kts ( yes, I did pull off that jibe as a crew in that race ). Dinghies go upside down all the time. 

2 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

You said they capsize like a dinghy. They don't. Dinghies capsize easily. Stars do not. Capsize means to overturn in water, that is upside down . I''m willing to bet that I've been sailing in stars in more wind more times than you. I've seen stars sink , get dismasted, have brokenmats, crash, break in pieces, fall off hoists, fall off trailers  but have only seen one star keel in the air and it then came back upright immediately sans rig ( vince brun 1988 na's ithaca, n.y. ) after a jibe in around 30 kts ( yes, I did pull off that jibe as a crew in that race ). Dinghies go upside down all the time. 

OK your dick is bigger than mine too

Stars don't capsize as easily as a dinghy

I've never seen one turtle but then most of my Star sailing has been in the Chesapeake where the water is too shallow anyway. I've seen them go mast-in-the-water or near enough to not matter, around a dozen times.

BTW when dinghies capsize they certainly don't always go turtle, unless you're doing it wrong.

Also I have never dropped any boat from a lift.

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, surf nazi said:

Capsize doesn't mean upside down at least by the RRS.  It means the mast hits the water.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, dburchfiel said:

Capsize doesn't mean upside down at least by the RRS.  It means the mast hits the water.

fair point.  RRS23 (underline is mine for clarity)

23 CAPSIZED, ANCHORED OR AGROUND; RESCUING
If possible, a boat shall avoid and Keep Clear of a boat that is capsized or has not regained control after capsizing, is anchored or aground, or is trying to help a person or vessel in danger. A boat is capsized when her masthead is in the water.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:56 AM, surf nazi said:

What?   All that and no knock-down to weather from ‘copter wash?   And you’re crewing, hiked out and now under water wondering what the drill is for this mess?   Haha....never happened to me but know a guy who went thru that @ Bacardi.   Freaky moments!

On 8/26/2020 at 8:58 AM, surf nazi said:

Stars don't capsize the mast breaks first. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...