Boat Crash - majorly !

34 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

People like this can just as easily run over you and your sailboat . . 

as they can run into and up over the shore . .  (Sandusky Bay, Ohio) 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

118143415_10223312980397892_3889547571723724705_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=ATgY0PDgVGgAX_2aggF&_nc_ht=scontent.fdtw2-1.fna&oh=5160a59c18bc74af5d61cc1290f0bc45&oe=5F664A97

Must have been a speed trap - looks like he almost hit the police car

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Must have been 

Part of the reason I am posting this is to try to prevent a recurrence of what happened on our Bay a few years back  . . 

A large power boat ran down a Thistle from our club (full sails up) on a sunny, clear day. 

(Thistle was totally destroyed, but amazingly no injuries) 

Making use of all the white privilege available, the boater managed to avoid even a police report or any mention in the local paper; 

no Coastie report, no ODNR report. 

Hope that does not happen in this case. 

I'm spreading those photos far and wide. 

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

What ever happened to that catamaran sailor who got run down by a powerboat during a regatta last year in Newport? Sandra Tartagliano was her name I recall.

She died, but you knew that?

Report details crash that killed Tiverton sailor on Narragansett Bay
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20191023/report-details-crash-that-killed-tiverton-sailor-on-narragansett-bay

Law enforcement officers investigated the accident and DEM released their findings last week. They found no evidence Frank Teixeira, 75, of Portsmouth, intended or foresaw the consequences of his operations, knew his actions were wrong but proceeded anyway, or willingly acted recklessly knowing it would cause a death, according to a DEM press release.

“Mr. Teixeira has expressed profound grief over this tragic accident,” wrote attorney Christopher Gontarz, in a statement sent to the Daily News on behalf of Teixeira.

“He and his family express their deepest condolences to the family of Sandra Tartaglino,” the statement said. “As the thorough and complete investigation by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, United States Coast Guard, Newport Police Department and the Rhode Island Department of Attorney General states, this was a tragic calamity which has profound consequences for my client and especially for the Tartaglino family.”

DEM released a 15-page incident report to the Daily News on Monday after the newspaper filed an Access to Public Records request late last week.

The 2005 powerboat was a 28-foot white True World cabin cruiser called @Last valued at $50,000, the report says. The 2001 18-foot Nacra F18 Catamaran was valued at $18,000. 

2 minutes ago, Geff said:

FCKR got less than a slap on the wrist!  

And follow up from several days ago.  

The fucker must have been part of the local mob...

The operator of the marine vessel involved in a fatal boating collision last summer — which resulted in the death of a Tiverton woman — had no criminal charges levied against him, but Frank Teixeira’s lawyer on Wednesday entered “guilty” pleas at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal to the four citations his client faced.

Teixeira, 76, of Portsmouth, was cited with four violations of the Coast Guard’s Inland Navigational Rules: risk of collision, action to avoid a collision, responsibilities between vessels and failure to keep a look-out.

The Department of Environmental Management after an investigation determined Teixeira was not speeding, nor operating his 28-foot cruiser named @Last in reckless disregard for the safety of others during the Aug. 11, 2019, crash between his powerboat and a two-person catamaran sailboat near the Newport Pell Bridge. Sandra Tartaglino, 60, who was aboard the sailboat, was killed in the collision.

Each violation that Teixeira faced carried a $100 fine, which he was ordered to pay; he’ll pay court costs on top of that $400 sum, his attorney, Christopher Gontarz, said Wednesday.

The pleas entered Wednesday were part of a settlement agreement for a November, 2019, federal court filing on Teixeira’s behalf.

Fucking bullshit

She deserved better. 

Look at that beautiful lady and sailor...I hope he at least feels remorseful for the accident and the loss of her life as he moves on.

A9C46EF1-EB22-4620-B5BE-E61335614F86.jpeg

• Like 1

A good friend was killed in the Florida Keys as he returned to shore from a day of tropical fish collecting when a 28' rental power boat, loaded with vacationing people from Ohio, running on autopilot, and trimmed so bow high so they couldn't see in front of them, overtook his boat 16' open outboard and ran over him.

The damage to the power boat was on the underside, starting 10' back from the bow.  The 'skipper' said my friend suddenly turned in front of him and couldn't be avoided.

Right.  At the end of a long day of work, heading back to the dock to unload his catch to ship to the buyers, one always makes sudden random turns.

They got off scott free, no charges.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, SVArcturus said:

A good friend was killed in the Florida Keys as he returned to shore from a day of tropical fish collecting when a 28' rental power boat, loaded with vacationing people from Ohio, running on autopilot, and trimmed so bow high so they couldn't see in front of them, overtook his boat 16' open outboard and ran over him.

The damage to the power boat was on the underside, starting 10' back from the bow.  The 'skipper' said my friend suddenly turned in front of him and couldn't be avoided.

Right.  At the end of a long day of work, heading back to the dock to unload his catch to ship to the buyers, one always makes sudden random turns.

The world sucks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SVArcturus said:

Sorry to hear about that. I lived there and it’s a beautiful oasis that has had many tragic tales like that from groundings and intentional rundowns.

7 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Theres a soecial kind of stupid that haopens im Florida. 

Lettes talkle turkey Mr FY,

I susspecte ist do to to 'lowere exspectationes',  failliure ist an evereydayr thinge, stupiditey aboundes.......what ist youre thouht sir?...                   :)

Plesae indulge me........                :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

I susspecte ist do to to 'lowere exspectationes',  failliure ist an evereydayr thinge, stupiditey aboundes.......what ist youre thouht sir?...                   :)

All I know is that driving in s. Fl is not like other places. There seemes  not to be adequate anticipation from far too many drivers. Also road rage of significance. And running red lights--not the orderly Bostonian type, but a different type altogether.

Lower Expectations must be some part of it?

But I love the Keys. It actually (ironically for this thread) is far less stressful than 441 in Dade! Then again 1 lane will do that to you...

• Like 2

Adgreeded, the keyes our a diffrente countrey.  I go theire ounce ayeare, butte that gotte covided oute this yeare.  I licke to pretend Ime am HST, luncheng at Pedrose, or breakfaste at CCQ.  Thast whearre I go to so myselfe backe togethere,  some yeares it tackes thickere threade.  Life cane be goode. 

:)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

they drink too much..

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

they drink too much..

And theires thet to................                     :)

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

People like this can just as easily run over you and your sailboat . . 

as they can run into and up over the shore . .  (Sandusky Bay, Ohio) 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

118143415_10223312980397892_3889547571723724705_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=ATgY0PDgVGgAX_2aggF&_nc_ht=scontent.fdtw2-1.fna&oh=5160a59c18bc74af5d61cc1290f0bc45&oe=5F664A97

I wonder if the girl giving the blow job had her jaw slammed shut when they hit the rocks.  

(Apologies to "The World According to Garp".)

• Like 1

i sail the same waters. ive had a window put in my main sail, and pay heaps more attention than ive ever. fuck, today i was out, booking it, and i had to dump sail to let a sail boat under motor go buy me. sailing in rhode island is no better than driving the roads, or parking. fuck the cranston navy.

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

All I know is that driving in s. Fl is not like other places. There seemes  not to be adequate anticipation from far too many drivers. Also road rage of significance. And running red lights--not the orderly Bostonian type, but a different type altogether.

Lower Expectations must be some part of it?

But I love the Keys. It actually (ironically for this thread) is far less stressful than 441 in Dade! Then again 1 lane will do that to you...

Now I will admit that driving in Fl is a adventure and not for the faint of heart.