Sign in to follow this  
Senator Seditious Maximus

US Sailing National Champs 2021 in a WHAT?

Considering how inexpensive the boats are, seems it ought to be a huge fleet next November (2021).  

Not my favorite boat, but better than a sinker.  

On 8/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, MultiThom said:

Considering how inexpensive the boats are, seems it ought to be a huge fleet next November (2021).  

Ah yeah, but then there's the matter once the event's over what to do with it?  Donate to Scouts?  lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=hobie+wave&sxsrf=ALeKk0099NXhlXQCOExGerleNq6oaw7UGA:1598376690816&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_gf6W8bbrAhWMXM0KHcDRAsMQ_AUoAXoECBcQAw&biw=1618&bih=917

6300 + trailer+spin+Spreader kit

You getting the backrest kit as well??  

10 G gets you to the line w brand new kit.  Discount for Champs from Hobie??  

It stopped being a championship event when they changed the format to just another open regatta.

Back in the day, it used to be there were 10 regions and each held their Alter Cup qualifier.  if you won the regional event, you were eligible to participate in the Alter Cup Championship.  There were also 10 other spots that were available to past champions, current national champions, and petition.  

The Alter Cup was raced with 10 factory boats in a cool round robin series.  Racing in Fleet A scored points 1 thru 10, Fleet B scored points 11 thru 20.  After each round, the bottom 3 boats in A got demoted to B, and the top 3 in Fleet B got promoted to A.  Low points at the end of the week won the championship.  There was also a matrix of boat swapping that ensured everyone sailed the same boats the same number of times.

I digress...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

It stopped being a championship event when they changed the format to just another open regatta.

Back in the day, it used to be there were 10 regions and each held their Alter Cup qualifier.  if you won the regional event, you were eligible to participate in the Alter Cup Championship.  There were also 10 other spots that were available to past champions, current national champions, and petition.  

The Alter Cup was raced with 10 factory boats in a cool round robin series.  Racing in Fleet A scored points 1 thru 10, Fleet B scored points 11 thru 20.  After each round, the bottom 3 boats in A got demoted to B, and the top 3 in Fleet B got promoted to A.  Low points at the end of the week won the championship.  There was also a matrix of boat swapping that ensured everyone sailed the same boats the same number of times.

I digress...

So back when the sport took a modicum of brain power to compete and you actually had winners and losers in a bracket format that made sense??

• Like 2

I spent at least 25 YEARS bad-mouthing the Hobie Wave. Now I own a brand new one. Plenty of fun, zero maintenance. Everything about it is easy: launching, sailing, capsize recovery ( you really have to work to flip this baby ). You don't have to be an athlete. You don't have to be rich. All you do is enjoy the sail. Sure, plenty are faster but after a while, who cares? Especially in one-design. Laugh all you want. Just remember the old ad slogan about people who don' like Riunite wine - they just haven't tried it.

• Like 1

Just another thought on the idea of holding the U.S. Multihull Championship regatta using the Hobie Wave - there are MANY Waves available all over the U.S. for sailors to use so the participation should be HUGE ( it is an invitational regatta, no selection process ). That being said, I do recall an old expression " like a herd of turtles ". Let's have fun with all of this. Happy Sailing!

I am always tempted to make fun of the Wave, but then I look at the guys in my club racing it, all of whom are far better sailors, and I keep my mouth shut. And, the harder it blows, the happier they are. It’s a fun, dead simple one-design boat. There’s a lot to be said for that.