11 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

W T F. !

could this be real,  or more fake news?

Are you kidding me

2020 not shaping up to be a good year...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/22/us/asteroid-earth-november-2020-scn-trnd/index.html

No I think it's real, JPL has a short public brief on it.

Don't worry, it'll miss us by a mile.

Probably

;)

- DSK

please please please be bigger

Discovered on 3 November 2018 when the asteroid was 7ft diameter at 280,000 miles!
That's one small object to find at that distance!
Nice find Zwicky.

The Zwicky Transient Facility is a new robotic time-domain survey currently in progress using the Palomar 48-inch Schmidt Telescope. ZTF uses a 47 square degree field with a 600 megapixel camera to scan the entire northern visible sky at rates of ~3760 square degrees/hour to median depths of g ~ 20.8 and r ~ 20.6 mag (AB, 5σ in 30 sec). The System is housed at IPAC, Caltech.

Yes, weird looking object. Came off this 7.7g piece.

Impressive stats for anyone interested.

On 15 February 2013,a large Earth-impacting fireball disintegrated over the Ural Mountains.
This extraordinary event is,together with the 1908 Tunguska fireball,among the most energetic events ever instrumentally recorded.   It generated infrasound returns after circling the globe for 3 days,detected at 20 Infrasonic stations of the global International Monitoring System.

For the first time since the establishment of the IMS infrasound network, multiple arrivals involving waves that travelled twice round the globe have been clearly identified.

A estimate of the explosive energy of the impact was equivalent to 460 kilotons of TNT.
This makes it the most energetic cosmic event reported since 1908 Tunguska.

Chelyabinsk,weighed 10,000 tonnes X 55ft when it exploded, scientists say an object that large usually approaches Earth only once every four decades.

Entered Atmo.9-20 a.m.local time.Speed 40,000 mph, Exploded Alt.12miles=fireball. 460 kilotons energy [Tunguska 10 megatons].
300 miles long trail.

Chelyabinsk-7.7g X 2in across.jpg

I've read that because of the https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/what-is-the-apogalacticon the arm of the milky way we reside in is moving into an area of space that contains many things we were not aware of. Didn't something apocalyptic happen about 250,000,000 years ago? And we are entering this area again. Oh Shit

Here is an excerpt that might give some perspective. Just thinking about the speed and distances is mindboggling.
This was written in 2012 and we know what happened then. Calculate how far we have traveled since then, based on the info below.

All the stars that make up our galaxy orbit the galactic center just like the planets orbit the sun.  The sun goes around once every 250 million years, circling the center of the galaxy at an average distance of 28,000 light-years. This means the sun has looped around the galaxy about 20 times in its five billion year lifetime.  We’re currently headed towards a point in the Hercules constellation, a spot in the sky called the solar apex.  At a speed of roughly 560,000 mph, the sun—and the entire solar system—traverses the width of the earth’s orbit once every two weeks.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:55 PM, SloopJonB said:

Over 39,000,000,000 miles.

So our solar system has traveled .0065 light year (in the last 8 years) into a region that it has not been since the asteroid that put the nail in the coffin of the dinosaurs.

I wonder what the snowflakes think about that?

Oh and lets pile on the shifting of the Magnetic poles and thus our shield against all that solar and galactic radiation in a region our Solar system has not been in 250, 000,000 years. Damn and I'm only 62 years old.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/05/07/earths-magnetic-north-pole-is-shifting-dramatically-from-a-powerful-tug-of-war/#5f10396a1ffe

I do not know about you. But I am quite a bit worried that we are not being told the truth by our scientific community about our future possibilities.

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

So our solar system has traveled .0065 light year (in the last 8 years) into a region that it has not been since the asteroid that put the nail in the coffin of the dinosaurs.

Oh and lets pile on the shifting of the Magnetic poles and thus our shield against all that solar and galactic radiation in a region our Solar system has not been in 250, 000,000 years. Damn and I'm only 62 years old.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/05/07/earths-magnetic-north-pole-is-shifting-dramatically-from-a-powerful-tug-of-war/#5f10396a1ffe

I do not know about you. But I am quite a bit worried that we are not being told the truth by our scientific community about our future possibilities.

If you paid any attention to science you'd know that the dino asteroid was 62,000,000 years ago.

250,000,000 years ago was the Permian/Triassic event.

5 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

And your response to this affront?

Is there something you think that you can do?

6 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

The magnetic pole shift would suck.

We know it keeps happening, we have the basalt evidence to show it, and when it finally flips, we lose our radiation belts for a few years or ten or so. And during that time, we get bombarded by DNA-damaging particles. I kind of agree with you that this threat is under-represented.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

The magnetic pole shift would suck.

We know it keeps happening, we have the basalt evidence to show it, and when it finally flips, we lose our radiation belts for a few years or ten or so. And during that time, we get bombarded by DNA-damaging particles. I kind of agree with you that this threat is under-represented.

People aren't told to be scared of the real threats, only the ones that aren't.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you paid any attention to science you'd know that the dino asteroid was 62,000,000 years ago.

If you read his paragraph, you would stop mixing sentences and unrelated information together.

11 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Also keep in mind the Milky way itself is spiraling into outer space at aprox 1.3 million mph,  so our solar system will never be in a region its been in prior.

every second, we are in new spacial territory. 

• Like 1

we all need to meet up somewhere with all of our refrigerator magnets and chant

edit: Bring tin foil... lots of tin foil.. we're gonna need hats

46 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

we all need to meet up somewhere with all of our refrigerator magnets and chant

Amazon delivery of your new refrigerator door to hang the magnets on.

They're working out the kinks still.

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

OK, sorry, I had a few screens up and got confused.

But about 250 mil ago almost all life on the earth was wiped out.

Sorry, you guys can go back to being a holes. Did you even look up what happened 250 mil ago??

I didn't have to - I already knew.

There have been several mass extinctions in Earth's history and they don't have anything to do with the cosmic position of the solar system.

Lots of anti-science out there by the usual bullshitters ...

This is science, peer reviewed work by thousands of scientists over hundreds of years:

timescl-2018.gif

This is the story of evolution of life on the planet Earth. Read that out loud:    E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N 

In the Eon of visible life in the rock record, the Phanerozoic, 2 mass extinctions stand out.

1) The K-Pg boundary between the middle Mesozoic Era (dinosaurs) and the newer Cenozoic Era (rise of mammals)

The Alvarez theory states it was caused by an asteroid/meteorite about the size of Everest slamming into the Yucatan peninsula. It has been dated to be 65.5 ± 0.3 Ma ago.

2) The P-Tr boundary between the ancient Paleozoic Era (clams fish) and the middle Mesozoic Era

The largest mass extinction of organisms on Earth occurred, the Great Dying. Most of the sediments which remain from that event are found in Cina.

Radiometrically dating of volcanic ash beds at the global stratotype section sets the boundary between 251.941 ± 0.037 and 251.880 ± 0.031 Ma ago.

There is evidence supporting an impact event hypothesis and supporting the Siberian traps volcanism hypothesis for the extinction.

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 1:56 AM, t.rex said:

Lots of anti-science out there by the usual bullshitters ...

This is science, peer reviewed work by thousands of scientists over hundreds of years:

timescl-2018.gif

This is the story of evolution of life on the planet Earth. Read that out loud:    E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N 

In the Eon of visible life in the rock record, the Phanerozoic, 2 mass extinctions stand out.

1) The K-Pg boundary between the middle Mesozoic Era (dinosaurs) and the newer Cenozoic Era (rise of mammals)

The Alvarez theory states it was caused by an asteroid/meteorite about the size of Everest slamming into the Yucatan peninsula. It has been dated to be 65.5 ± 0.3 Ma ago.

2) The P-Tr boundary between the ancient Paleozoic Era (clams fish) and the middle Mesozoic Era

The largest mass extinction of organisms on Earth occurred, the Great Dying. Most of the sediments which remain from that event are found in Cina.

Radiometrically dating of volcanic ash beds at the global stratotype section sets the boundary between 251.941 ± 0.037 and 251.880 ± 0.031 Ma ago.

There is evidence supporting an impact event hypothesis and supporting the Siberian traps volcanism hypothesis for the extinction.       

I wish you provided a link to read what you posted. The image is such poor resolution you cannot read it. You also have to remember, we only know what we know. What we don't know is down in the molten earth we float on. Crustal displacement has wiped the earth clean many times over.

Today the Asteroid Apophis  popped up on the Bing news feed. So I looked around and found this which is interesting. 
Apophis, the ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid is speeding up

https://www.businessinsider.in/science/space/news/apophis-the-god-of-chaos-asteroid-is-speeding-up-increasing-the-likelihood-of-it-hitting-earth-in-2068/articleshow/78895818.cms

Also in the 2029 fly by the article says you will be able to see the asteroid with your eyes. No magnification needed. I'm not sure I'll be around.

Then I found this from 2004. One thing he does not talk about, in the splash down in the Pacific he mentions, is the water vapor that will shroud the earth and blot out the sun. Storms and rain fall may wash us away too. The asteroid strike is not the ELE event, it is the aftermath that will deal a blow to the human race.

From 2011

Since you quoted me, I will try to respond civilly ... once.

13 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I wish you provided a link to read what you posted. The image is such poor resolution you cannot read it. .

The Geological Society of America maintains and prints a geologic time scale in format A4 in the colors that are used in geologic maps.

I presume that the image is scanned. You can buy them if you like,  perfect gift for creationists.

What we don't know is down in the molten earth we float on.

We know a lot about the composition and phase states of our planet.

Just open a browser and write "structure of planet earth".  There are descriptions of the solid iron inner core, the molten iron outer core, the mantle, the crust.  Lots of images there too.

Crustal displacement has wiped the earth clean many times over.

This is just plain false, and not even the language of geology.  Bullshitters gotta bullshit.

20 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Crustal displacement has wiped the earth clean many times over.

The oldest rocks on Earth, near Hudson Bay are more than four billion years old so this statement is just not correct. In some places the plates are very large and fairly slow moving so subduction happens very slowly if at all. In other areas the process is much faster. The link below is to a plate motion calculator. You put in your lat/lon and it tells you where you are going and how fast. If you put in locations on adjacent plates you can see the speed at which they are coming together or moving apart. Quite interesting really if you are nerdish like me. BTW, enter western longitudes (and southern latitudes) as minus values.

\https://www.unavco.org/software/geodetic-utilities/plate-motion-calculator/plate-motion-calculator.html

• 2 months later...

Ok, just found in 2020 but it orbits the sun every 381 days?? WTF

"The asteroid, which was discovered in 2020, orbits the sun every 381 days and is scheduled to make its next close approach to our planet on August 10, 2021."

Two Asteroids Bigger Than the Great Pyramid of Giza to Fly Past Earth (newsweek.com)

On 11/13/2020 at 8:38 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The oldest rocks on Earth, near Hudson Bay are more than four billion years old so this statement is just not correct. In some places the plates are very large and fairly slow moving so subduction happens very slowly if at all. In other areas the process is much faster. The link below is to a plate motion calculator. You put in your lat/lon and it tells you where you are going and how fast. If you put in locations on adjacent plates you can see the speed at which they are coming together or moving apart. Quite interesting really if you are nerdish like me. BTW, enter western longitudes (and southern latitudes) as minus values.

\https://www.unavco.org/software/geodetic-utilities/plate-motion-calculator/plate-motion-calculator.html

Of course the crustal displacement is not a total wipe of the surface. But it pretty much wipes the earth of most of it' living inhabitants.

There's a new theory that the Tunguska event of 1908 in Siberia wasn't caused by the atmospheric explosion of an icy object after all.  It may have been a very close graze through the atmosphere by a nickel-iron body about the size of a football stadium.  That one, if it had impacted, could have been an extinction event.

https://astronomy.com/news/2020/10/tunguska-explosion-in-1908-caused-by-asteroid-grazing-earth?

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

"The asteroid, which was discovered in 2020, orbits the sun every 381 days and is scheduled to make its next close approach to our planet on August 10, 2021."

Two Asteroids Bigger Than the Great Pyramid of Giza to Fly Past Earth (newsweek.com)

If one of those hits it ain't gonna buff out.

By way of comparison, the one that hit Russia a couple of years back was about 20 meters IIRC

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Of course the crustal displacement is not a total wipe of the surface. But it pretty much wipes the earth of most of it' living inhabitants.

Actually, you have it backwards. Eventually all of the crust will be subducted. Sometimes this will take a very long time as in the rocks near Hudson Bay example I gave. Other than the fact that earthquakes caused by subduction are the most deadly of all, subduction is not a problem for living things since it happens so slowly, at least in human terms. A plate moving at 20 mm per year is not noticeable by people (until the earthquake hits). Where I live in Ontario we are moving a little north of west at 16 mm. The next subduction zone to the west is a long way away. This is not the case along the coast of BC, Washington, and Oregon is quite close which is why the 'Big One' is a very real worry, similar to what happened in Alaska which had a 9.2 in 1964.

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

subduction is not a problem for living things since it happens so slowly, at least in human terms.

image.png.92773b1e81c3c734a7253c2d73c88502.png:D

4 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Actually, you have it backwards. Eventually all of the crust will be subducted. Sometimes this will take a very long time as in the rocks near Hudson Bay example I gave. Other than the fact that earthquakes caused by subduction are the most deadly of all, subduction is not a problem for living things since it happens so slowly, at least in human terms. A plate moving at 20 mm per year is not noticeable by people (until the earthquake hits). Where I live in Ontario we are moving a little north of west at 16 mm. The next subduction zone to the west is a long way away. This is not the case along the coast of BC, Washington, and Oregon is quite close which is why the 'Big One' is a very real worry, similar to what happened in Alaska which had a 9.2 in 1964.

You are thinking in Human terms. I am thinking in terms of billions of years and lost history, shifting pols and all the shit that happens celestially. 

Some make but most don't. I will keep an open mind and remind when we are all dead that you were wrong :)