31 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Somebody obviously doesn't know that when you apply some rudder the stern swings away!!!!

That's what I thought - trying to drive it like a car, despite immediate evidence that it doesn't work that way!

43 minutes ago, DDW said:

At least they were smart enough not to put legs and arms in the way, which usually paints the scene red.....

That I think is the miracle...nobody got hurt...nearly got the woman in the black bathing suit on the cat.

I just can't believe charter company staff did that...my theory a bunch of cheque book sailors thought they would look sharp on board if they all wore the same outfit....

As one English chap pointed out to me in Greece, bloody uncivilised around here. You can't even sit and enjoy your gin whilst watching people fuck up mooring, because some clown will come along, rip out your anchor, and you'll have to start all over again. What worse is by that time they'll be a 20 knot cross wind and you'll be pissed.

3 hours ago, European Bloke said:

As one English chap pointed out to me in Greece, bloody uncivilised around here. You can't even sit and enjoy your gin whilst watching people fuck up mooring, because some clown will come along, rip out your anchor, and you'll have to start all over again. What worse is by that time they'll be a 20 knot cross wind and you'll be pissed.

This is very true.  I witnessed this and more the last time I cruised through Greece.  Anchoring/med mooring every afternoon was blood sport.  By the looks of it, the above videos took place early in the day, as there is only one row of boats on the cay.   By late afternoon there are usually four or five (sometimes more in a smaller harbor like Hydra).  Absolute chaos with anchor lines criss crossed and everyone yelling in different languages.  Fantastic cocktail hour entertainment....unless your boat is involved 

1 hour ago, eliboat said:

This is very true.  I witnessed this and more the last time I cruised through Greece.  Anchoring/med mooring every afternoon was blood sport.  By the looks of it, the above videos took place early in the day, as there is only one row of boats on the cay.   By late afternoon there are usually four or five (sometimes more in a smaller harbor like Hydra).  Absolute chaos with anchor lines criss crossed and everyone yelling in different languages.  Fantastic cocktail hour entertainment....unless your boat is involved 

I'd had a properly fouled anchor about twice in my life. Until I did 2 weeks in Greece when we did 4... I'm sure it's lovely, but not in August.

....unless your boat is involved

B)

4 hours ago, European Bloke said:

I'd had a properly fouled anchor about twice in my life. Until I did 2 weeks in Greece when we did 4... I'm sure it's lovely, but not in August.

August is charter mayhem month apparently

We did a day charter out of Nafplio in late September with a skipper/owner. His boat was the only one on the quay, but still Med-moored.

When I was in the Navy, we Med-moored once, in Naples, with local pilot at the conn. On other port visits, we picked up a mooring.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:00 AM, European Bloke said:

I've wondered about this for a long time,  the anchor lines all look crossed in every photo I see of Med-mooring, enough to give one pause when considering a Mediterranean bareboat cruise,....or is it like when you were about to graduate from the 6th grade and you heard all those horror stories about Junior High?

On 8/26/2020 at 9:52 PM, bplipschitz said:

"Hey, I know -- let's put blind Stavros on the helm for this one.  What could go wrong?"

I sailed on Tenacious, a tall ship that facilitates/enables people with disabilities. Coming into harbour one time, a member of the on-watch who was blind, Phil IIRC, asked me (his watchleader) whether he could steer. The ship has a talking compass and wheel indicator. The skipper was giving helm orders and we had a “seeing-eyed” crew stand beside Phil so why not? What could possibly go wrong?

Phil followed helm orders and we docked safely. I have rarely seen such happiness on a human face and it lasted for the remainder of the trip, for the rest of his life, for all i know.

He may have gone on to bareboat chartering in the Med with different outcomes but I’m not saying.

• Like 4
On 8/30/2020 at 5:42 AM, Latadjust said:

I've wondered about this for a long time,  the anchor lines all look crossed in every photo I see of Med-mooring, enough to give one pause when considering a Mediterranean bareboat cruise,....or is it like when you were about to graduate from the 6th grade and you heard all those horror stories about Junior High?

They do get fouled, regularly. Once you clear two or three in your first week you relax a bit in your second week. It's usually in the morning when it all becomes clear, and there's fuck all wind then, so no drama. It's less relaxing when someone has to reanchor late afternoon when it's blowing and he picks up two anchors.

We watched two ferries pick up yacht anchors late afternoon in Gaios when it was blowing hard. The second one dragged the yacht right out of the harbour before they got the mess sorted. To be fair he couldn't fuck about in the harbour in those conditions, there wasn't space for him to control the ship. Bloody frightening. After the first one I had my gin in one hand and a sharp knife in the other.

The pilot book started the chapter, 'Gaios is chaos', so I really should have expected it. Especially after we passed a wrecked 50 foot gaffer on the way in with it's life raft on the main road.