Hi, new member. Shopping for a small boat.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the solo trip it was time to do what the boat was meant to do. The kid is short enough that the boom is not a worry for him, yet.

Nice! We went and we had FUN! The wind was down a bit from the peak by the time we went. I'm not sure we could have handled 15 with 25 MPH gusts. It was perfect really. Any less would not have be

Enjoy! Some things to keep in mind, to continue ramping up skill: wind direction, wind direction, wind direction... you should always always always have the best knowledge you can possibly g

Posted Images

Yes, I used to watch J-24s, sonars, FDs and the like come in from racing at St. Pete Yacht Club, racing for the hoist.

They'd drop their jib and sit there going sideways. Often an old timer would be among the last to enter the basin, but be among the first to the hoist because they would let their mains out when the jib was doused.

One time at the end of a day of video recording and commentary, on the TV at the bar after racing I showed the "race" to the hoist and mentioned on the tape the letting of the main out when no jib. An old timer said loudly, "Don't tell them!"

Usually the boom should go over the corner of the transom. But not on a Sunfish. At a North American Interclass Solo event in Barrington, RI years ago, one of the three single handed boats used on the three days was a Sunfish. I'd never sailed one before. I was so far back in the light air first race they finished me in place. Ed Adams sailed over and said to pretend the transom went straight back like most boats, not pinched like the Sunfish. I was mid-fleet after that and some years later was 4th in the Master Worlds. 

Like the man said, "If in doubt, let it out".  Elvstrom

• Like 3

Talked to US1D and they said I could:

1) Get a new boat and return the old one, which sounds great.

2) They could teach me how to fix the dent myself, which sounds really lame.

3) They could give me some amount of money back to make things right.

I told them no thanks to option 2) and regarding option 3) that $50 would not come close but I'd be really happy with half off.

The forecast had the wind at 13MPH today which was a nice bump from the previous high of 9MPH. I had the kid suit up but at the last minute decided to make sure I could handle the boat in said conditions. Glad I did that! The boat was tipped over in no time. The wind was as shifty and gusty as I can ever remember sailing in. Got her upright and didn't tip over again but man what a panic. At one point I was sailing W with the wind out of the N when some weird gust hit me, spun the boat around 360, did accidental gybe/jibe and then started heading back to the W but the wind was from the S because the wind shifted 180 degrees! The stupid wind never did anything the same for more than 5 seconds. 

I was determined to have fun and ride out some of the gusts but they were so unstable and short lived it the boat really never got going that fast.

Also in the mix, dead calm. Going no where wondering which direction the next gust was going to come from.

Maybe this is why there are no other sailboats on our end of the lake?

I'm no expert but I'm accustomed to looking over my shoulder for gusts. Today was something different. Even when I'd see a gust coming from one way another gust would hit me from a different direction.

Got in safe with no damage to the boat or myself (cept ego).

9 hours ago, lakedude said:

The forecast had the wind at 13MPH today which was a nice bump from the previous high of 9MPH. I had the kid suit up but at the last minute decided to make sure I could handle the boat in said conditions. Glad I did that! The boat was tipped over in no time. The wind was as shifty and gusty as I can ever remember sailing in. Got her upright and didn't tip over again but man what a panic. At one point I was sailing W with the wind out of the N when some weird gust hit me, spun the boat around 360, did accidental gybe/jibe and then started heading back to the W but the wind was from the S because the wind shifted 180 degrees! The stupid wind never did anything the same for more than 5 seconds. 

I was determined to have fun and ride out some of the gusts but they were so unstable and short lived it the boat really never got going that fast.

Also in the mix, dead calm. Going no where wondering which direction the next gust was going to come from.

I'm no expert but I'm accustomed to looking over my shoulder for gusts. Today was something different. Even when I'd see a gust coming from one way another gust would hit me from a different direction.

Not uncommon if its small area of the lake surrounded by lots of trees. The wind can be very squirrely in such areas.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lakedude said:

US1D is offering to cross-ship a new hull or give me $800 for the dent.

Also I learned that East Coast is the importer and that US1D is one of their dealers. 

Keep the boat, take the cash if you are that kind of person.  $800 prob covers shipping and the whole hullabaloo of getting it back etc.  I bet they can ether repair it in house, dirt cheap and sell it as new, Or just scrap the hull as it is so cheap to produce..  Donno, but it sounds like they want to make it right...  

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

take the cash if you are that kind of person...  Donno, but it sounds like they want to make it right...  

What kind of person?

They are doing a great job of "making it right". Couldn't ask for more.

A new spotless hull would be nice but so would $800...

34 minutes ago, lakedude said:

What kind of person?

They are doing a great job of "making it right". Couldn't ask for more.

A new spotless hull would be nice but so would $800...

I would just take the $800 and make use of the last few of weeks of the sailing season sailing your new boat. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the Taz in action... mabey in some more wind.

4 hours ago, lakedude said:

US1D is offering to cross-ship a new hull or give me $800 for the dent.

Also I learned that East Coast is the importer and that US1D is one of their dealers. 

That's a steal. Take the offer, in spare parts and accessories from US1D / EastCoast. 

• Like 1

Take the $800.   Assuming you use the boat frequently, you'll accumulate plenty more dents and dings over the years.   That's the beauty of the rotomolded hull, it can take a beating.   So this was just the first of many dings.   Kids boats are meant to be sailed, and will accumulate a 'patina' over the years.

I've taken the $800 as a credit back to my card. I'm about to order parts that seem like they would wear or break when they get back to me (there is a list).

I'm completely happy with the way they have handled this. I've not needed to deal with the shipper at all. US1D does not have the claim finished with the shipper so they are eating my $800 credit in the short term. Excellent service, much better than expected. Not their fault the boat was damaged in shipping.

I also took the keel roller to Khols and Amazon gave me credit for it right away. I've never returned something back to Amazon that there was not some sort of problem with the item. The roller was fine, I just decided to use the plastic skid method instead. Still no problem, Amazon took it back and I didn't even need to pay shipping.

• Like 1

Planning on giving it a go tomorrow. This will be a lot more wind than we have ever gone out in so wish us luck.

Last time the wind came from the North it was really unpredictable so I'm hoping the the wind out of the South works better for us.

The kid is excited to go in a bigger breeze. He declined to join me last time I went in milder conditions.

Screenshot_20201013-212127_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 hours ago, lakedude said:

Planning on giving it a go tomorrow. This will be a lot more wind than we have ever gone out in so wish us luck.

Last time the wind came from the North it was really unpredictable so I'm hoping the the wind out of the South works better for us.

The kid is excited to go in a bigger breeze. He declined to join me last time I went in milder conditions.

Screenshot_20201013-212127_Samsung Internet.jpg

Have fun! I don't know the Taz, but you might be able to plane.

• Like 1

15MPH is 13kt. Good fun! Past that point, the boat can be a handful, unless you depower the main.

You have a new sail, so crank the outhaul and vang aggressively, until the mast is showing a clear curve. Mimic what LAser sailors do - Upwind-2-840x560.jpg

When your sail gets old and baggy, the luff stretches so you can't use it bend the mast... and when it blows, you swim. 

• Like 2

I'm more than a little worried to go out with my son in such conditions. It is exciting but frightening. Ian does not really swim and I know how but I don't have a lot of gas at my age.

I'm pretty sure I could sit on the rail of the Banshee in no wind and the boat would not tip over. The Taz will tip over if I'm on a rail and there is no wind to balance. When a gust is over I've got to dive into the middle of the boat to keep it balanced. This makes sailing really tricky in variable winds which are the only kind we get.

I brought this on myself because I wanted a boat small enough to fit on my dock. I'm sure any of the Snark boats would be similar or worse.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2020 at 8:18 PM, lakedude said:

Hornblower is correct. My mothers lake has great sailing, once you’re at least 100 yards from shore. Going and coming are always an adventure with the wind coming from on top of you, blowing down, hitting the surface and fanning out. I gave up trying to sail that bit and just pack a small paddle to get through that weirdness.

• Like 1

I live on a big lake with 450 miles of shoreline, however I'm trying to sail the narrow end where it is more like a river. It usually isn't too bad if I can make it to the wider section, or if the wind lines up lengthwise with the water. If the wind is coming  across you get almost no warning. 

There are lots of trees and the terrain is hilly and there are mighty cliffs cut into the land. None of that helps.

Screenshot_20201014-134540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201014-134745_Samsung Internet.jpg

20200702_141517.jpg

Yep, I would bet that those gusts are coming down on top of you, so depending on where bay gust front drops in, you could be on any side of it. Challenging to say the least!

• Like 1

Nice!

We went and we had FUN! The wind was down a bit from the peak by the time we went. I'm not sure we could have handled 15 with 25 MPH gusts. It was perfect really. Any less would not have been a challenge and any more would have been too much. Wind was gusty and shifty but within 90 degrees or less which was manageable. 

That day the wind came from the north was just crazy with the wind shifting 180 and at some point coming from all 360 degrees.

Today we didn't even tip over!

We did not plane or even get to a full hike so there is room for more fun in the future.

Oh we went to the bridge which is a bit of a dead zone because of a cliff but the kid likes the bridge and we had enough wind so we went. Going the other way is better sailing but the kid likes the bridge so decision made.

The bridge (not taken today)

FB_IMG_1593968247184.jpg

• Like 5

Some notes from Wednesday. Ian had fun and was excited and not really frightened at all (big change from years past on the water). He did get a tiny bit nervous when a gust hit and the boat started to heal over but he was more excited than nervous. He kept pointing out how the sailboat was making a noticable wake, just like a motorboat. 

Wednesday October 14, 2020 marks the first day he got in the water all by himself with no coaching or anyone there to catch him. I could have pulled him out of the boat dry but he wanted to jump in. The water was much cooler than the air and it kinda took my breath away. Little guy did not complain and just commented casually that I was correct that the water was in fact a bit cool. This is the same kid that cried his eyes out because he had trouble spelling the word "about". You never know with him.

While I was tying up the boat he swam himself to the ladder and climbed up on the dock by himself. This may not sound like much but these are his first independent actions in/on the water.

He discussed helping sail or sailing himself. He was very pleased when I told him that the boat was going to be his someday. 

Trouble is he thinks he knows how to sail now because he can sail a boat on his computer with the arrow keys which is nowhere near the same as sailing in real life. Sailing in VR is closer to sailing for real but our VR headset can not "see" the tiller hand when it is behind our back. I'm using  the boat as incentive for him to learn how to swim and my evil plan is working BuhHaha!

• Like 1

This sounds like great progress to me. And when marking your progress up the ladder, remember that every inch needs patient, tactful, follow up! Just because they knew how to tack last week doesn't mean they'll know it this week!

One of the great things about kids and sailing, to me, is that it rewards initiative. It rewards careful observation, and decision-making based on goals and situational awareness. All kinds of good stuff. I was only involved with kids in the sub-8~9yo range for a couple of years, but I made some observations: they can actually do it long before they feel comfy leaving the nest and flying on their own. I think there's a level of maturity involved (which girls seem to reach sooner than boys) where they not only know how to rig the boat properly, steer with a tiller, how to make it go where they want, how to make it stop, knew how to capsize it and right it, how to rig for towing, how to tell when a seabreeze or a thunderstorm was coming, and how to unrig & and put everything away clean & tidy, but they are willing to shove off and sail around on their own. I held sailing exercises where they did each piece of it, as a group, and the skill level rose quite high. But they just did not want to take responsibility for themselves, did not want to get too far away from the mother hen (me).

But then one day................

FB- Doug

• Like 1

My happiest coaching moment was with a young lady and an opti. I somehow scrunched myself in the bow and had her sail me on a reach back and forth a few times. I asked after maybe 3 rounds if she could take me to the dock so I could stretch. Yep. I got out and said “while I stretch you just keep doing that” 

a couple more rounds and I asked if she wanted me back in. “nope”

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

My happiest coaching moment was with a young lady and an opti. I somehow scrunched myself in the bow and had her sail me on a reach back and forth a few times. I asked after maybe 3 rounds if she could take me to the dock so I could stretch. Yep. I got out and said “while I stretch you just keep doing that” 

a couple more rounds and I asked if she wanted me back in. “nope”

I helped start up a junior sailing program at our club, with the help of the parents/grandparents of the kids. About half were knee-highs in the 6~8yo range, chirpy little voices, about 15 minutes attention span max, endless energy and laughter, learn new stuff so quickly and easily I could not throw it at them fast enough.

Memorize the names of every single part of an Opti? No prob! We played "pin the tail on the Opti" and spelling games and similar, to reinforce this. They learned to rig up the boats correctly. They practiced steering with a tiller, with me pushing the boat near the beach. They practiced tipping over. They paddled around. They practiced tacking. We went out on the end of the dock and played at wind direction.

All this took about a day and a half. My goal was not to stall, my goal was to get them so familiar with being in the boat, rocking and tipping and whatever, and familiar with the workings of the parts of the boat, that everything would be second nature to them.

Our first actual sailing exercise was to take the whole group out in two motorboats, with 3 or 4 optis in tow, and set up about 50 yards apart from each other perpendicular to the wind direction. "Okay little Timmy, get in and sail over to Coach Paul's boat." Meanwhile, Coach Paul was saying "OK now Morrisey, get in and sail over to Coach Doug's boat." We caught them, they climbed out, next kid took a turn. Next, we had them turn around and come back, but still the other coach could keep them from going too far astray. 

By Friday, they could follow each other around playing "Baby Ducks" and tack, and bring their boats to a controlled stop, and constantly whine "Can I capsize now??!?" But only about half of them, all girls, would be eager to get in a boat and go sail around the creek on their own. Well, "on their own" meant sticking close to each other so they could talk. The boys wanted to sit in the boat with me and yell out to the others how to do it.

- DSK

• Like 2

I found a sandbar and got off the little boat. It was his second or third outing on the little boat, and I got off and had him reaching back and forth. That was five years ago.

Now he's 10, and can't get enough of foiling on UFOs and foiling cats...

• Like 3
20 hours ago, crazytopper said:

hi

i'm new, i have read some useful experiences on this site.

regarding the topper taz can i ask if soeone can make a comparison with the classic topper? expecially regarding performances in low wind conditions

thanks

Not a huge amount of difference, IIRC the Topper is a little heavier and is not fully self-bailing. The Taz has a more modern hull shape, maybe it's a little faster/more efficient.

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not a huge amount of difference, IIRC the Topper is a little heavier and is not fully self-bailing. The Taz has a more modern hull shape, maybe it's a little faster/more efficient.

FB- Doug

Size-wise, the Taz is smaller. People should compare the original topper with a topaz. 

• Like 1

yes

the topaz race should be faster and more exciting.

but i have a small place on the shore of the lake where i can park the boat. a bigger and more expensive dinghy would be wasted.

i really like my topper and i enjoy it in the rare occasions when there is some wind but it's like 45 now, the sail must be replaced asap, the mast and hull aren't in the best shape anymore. so i was considering some newer option with similar dimensions and weight but bigger sails.

but probably the closest to my needs is the rs aero wich is a bit too much.

maybe better looking for sailing kits for canoes or kayaks, or maybe a windsurf.

With a high in the forties it is over. Added a homemade bracket and bow stop to the Aqua Cart, worked perfectly. Big kids helped drag the boat up the hill. Thanks big kids! Pretty this time of year...

20201024_155322.jpg

20201024_155254.jpg

20201024_155346.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...