Won't buff out but out of environment

30 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

Would like to know the cause of fire for educational reasons... Another Lithium battery bank gone wrong?

would like to know too, but on the battery bank ... boats of this size have automatic fire extinguishing in the motor/battery area, have seen the result of this on a 56 feet Fairline stinkpot, batteries went smoking, fire extinguishers went off and all of yacht covered in soot. So if the battery bank was the one that triggered it some other things must have gone wrong too, and on the yacht where I saw it, nobody was on board, here there were in total 17 people of which at least a couple in charge.

7 hours ago, Albatros said:

would like to know too, but on the battery bank ... boats of this size have automatic fire extinguishing in the motor/battery area, have seen the result of this on a 56 feet Fairline stinkpot, batteries went smoking, fire extinguishers went off and all of yacht covered in soot. So if the battery bank was the one that triggered it some other things must have gone wrong too, and on the yacht where I saw it, nobody was on board, here there were in total 17 people of which at least a couple in charge.

The rules for fire suppression are entirely inadequate to *extinguish* a lithium ion fire from a significant bank.

2 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

The rules for fire suppression are entirely inadequate to *extinguish* a lithium ion fire from a significant bank.

Well, as I'm not a rules boffin and the example I gave was indeed a traditional battery bank, you are probably right. What intrigues me on that LiIon thing is that I do have quite a background in the start of that technology and the problems that were seen, think about camcorders and audio stuff in the 90's who were the first to use LiIon, we did have a number of "hot" cases but there were solutions, we loaded the LiIon batteries with electronic and heat control and it worked. Now I'm totally out of that business, so what do I know ? but find it odd that some decades later the same shit still happens.

Anyhow, looking at the footage, if you look at first seconds you see the fire is down below midships, that's where I reckon the galley would be, motor compartment typically more to the back, but then also, depends on the design, could be totally wrong. but my first reaction was like "hey, you should have turned that deep frying pan down after frying these chips !"

• Like 1