What Have You Done Today?

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prepping for daughter’s wedding later today. Replanned for home in the deck with family and wedding party at socially distanced tables. Boat has lights rigged on a timer and is anchored fire and aft t

Married. Speech done. Downhill from here.     

Learned how to bend stainless steel tubing on my new bender today.  First bends for some new railing I need on the boat.  1" diameter, 1/8" wall, 316 stainless.

Posted Images

On 8/30/2020 at 7:48 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Weed killer on the 600’ gravel drive. Power wash front porch and 3 bird baths, tried to reset popped piece of siding about 15’ up the side of the garage, dug a hole in case the wife has to have an ailing cat put down this week while I’m out of town.

About 1/2 way through a scotch and water and just watched the replay of Spa. Still have to pack for a morning departure and will probably relax in the hot tub before turning in. 

Well, he lasted longer than I expected but maybe rallied because “his kids” (my daughter and son) were in town.  Yesterday he was unable to swallow more than a bite or two after begging to be fed. Didn’t greet me in the drive when I arrived home and just cuddled up quietly when I brought him in.  Took him to the vet and did the deed. Just came in from burying him next to one of his predecessors in the woods and called the kids. He was a good family member. 

Having a solid scotch. May have a second when this one is gone. I guess it’s good that putting down a four legged family member isn’t easy but it was time. 

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Well, he lasted longer than I expected but maybe rallied because “his kids” (my daughter and son) were in town.  Yesterday he was unable to swallow more than a bite or two after begging to be fed. Didn’t greet me in the drive when I arrived home and just cuddled up quietly when I brought him in.  Took him to the vet and did the deed. Just came in from burying him next to one of his predecessors in the woods and called the kids. He was a good family member. 

Having a solid scotch. May have a second when this one is gone. I guess it’s good that putting down a four legged family member isn’t easy but it was time. 

sorry to hear that, I have 4 dogs and a cat buried in the back yard...

On 9/2/2020 at 4:28 AM, astro said:

You are going to have to explain that to us.

Truth is what you can confirm, with your own eyes, or with-in your own heart. Information is what others want you to hear, and believe. The difference is that what you see can differ from what you're told. You need to decide if you, or the informer is correct.... Or if there's some in between.

Our four legged family is often more comforting than our two legged family.

Let's raise a pint (or glass) in honor of IB's friend. The best cat that ever lived 10 lives.

Right now my buddy Aldo has a big abscess on the roof of his mouth. Hopefully antibiotics will take care of it... He's only 8....

9 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Truth is what you can confirm, with your own eyes, or with-in your own heart. Information is what others want you to hear, and believe. The difference is that what you see can differ from what you're told. You need to decide if you, or the informer is correct.... Or if there's some in between.

I spent half my working life in Information Management.  I do not agree with your definition.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, Grrr... said:

Learned how to bend stainless steel tubing on my new bender today.  First bends for some new railing I need on the boat.  1" diameter, 1/8" wall, 316 stainless.

What kind of bender did you use?  Pics?

After a few years procrastinating on finishing up the miter saw cabinet, I'm motivated again.  This is what I've been working with the past few years
MitCab_006.jpg.fd4551ea03c306406bcb7b08f04710bc.jpg

Made drawers for the top two sections and just used sandeply wrapped in scrap cherry for the faces
MitCab_011.jpg.90299282ce1664b298c3dfbe2a7cbe8d.jpg

Drawers are nice and deep.  Great place to lose things
MitCab_012.jpg.b5e8c98af814238d677490de1d8d0451.jpg

Working on making sliding shelves for the bottom sections.  I'll just make doors to match the drawer fronts.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

The smoke it still unhealthy though not as bad. 'Sposed to get better tomorrow but they have been saying that for two days.

Projects. Waiting in shop. Calling me...

I don't know how you guys are dealing with that.  Doesn't it leak into the home?

10 minutes ago, Jules said:

I don't know how you guys are dealing with that.  Doesn't it leak into the home?

Fortunately we are in a new (1 1/2 year old) home that was built to a very high energy and weather tight standard by a quality builder. Others are not as fortunate.

Letting the dogs in and out is our biggest source of smoke in the house. Luckily they have big bladders and three whiz breaks a day keeps them comfortable. 

3 hours ago, Jules said:

110 year old house... yes it does.  Avoiding anything that can draw air into the house such as the gas furnace in the basement, or the vent fan over the shower.  The central air fan runs all day just to keep pulling air through the filter.  Air quality improved from "Hazardous" on the scale down to "Very Unhealthy" yesterday.  Back up to "Hazardous" this afternoon.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:34 PM, Russell Brown said:

Mixed the wrong hardener into a very large batch of epoxy.

I watched old Newtie put the hardener pump into the 5 gallon epoxy resin... I would have guessed it wouldn’t kick the whole thing off but he threw the whole 5 in the bin... 

7 hours ago, Jules said:

What kind of bender did you use?  Pics?

Woodward Fab bender.

https://www.woodwardfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/WFB2-WEB.jpg

There is a big difference between a pipe bender and a tubing bender. I didn't know that before I started.  Pipe benders don't use a die because pipe is thicker wall and doesn't kink.  Tube benders use a door set to prevent that.

Pipe is measured by the ID and tube the od.

• Like 1

got another gun in a wed night race.... only thing I did all day 

Brought one of the floorboards home to router a shallow 3/16" x 5" groove down the middle where one of the floors is a little over-height from the original build. Boat is a 1984, we have owned it 14 years and I have been meaning to do this forever, so you can tell how important this was. It all went splendidly except for the part where I measured from the wrong end.

Tomorrow I'll fix it, it's only 3/4" out but classic.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

labored ... a lawn is a terrible thing to cut.

First you have to sharpen and tune-up the mower. Which means you have to sweep out the section of the garage with tools, stack and put aside parts for an ongoing boat project, and that means decanting bunch of containers of resin and hardener into some semblance of order.

No snakes this time, though

- DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

First you have to sharpen and tune-up the mower. Which means you have to sweep out the section of the garage with tools, stack and put aside parts for an ongoing boat project, and that means decanting bunch of containers of resin and hardener into some semblance of order.

No snakes this time, though

- DSK

eggzackley

Exterior side of the lab door is painted.  Waffled on making it fancy.  Got over that and used the paint I had.  Whew! 

Talked with a client about 2021 budgets, going up, not down.  

Mid Saturday morning now.  Trying to avoid looking at the list. 

On 9/2/2020 at 4:28 AM, astro said:

You are going to have to explain that to us.

There are a lot of nut cases around here who listen to/absorb what "The Blaze" and other RWW radio shows tell them is true. The children then listen to the parents. I was trying to teach the kids how to think for themselves, and reach their own conclusions. That didn't go over well with some of the parents.

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

There are a lot of nut cases around here who listen to/absorb what "The Blaze" and other RWW radio shows tell them is true. The children then listen to the parents. I was trying to teach the kids how to think for themselves, and reach their own conclusions. That didn't go over well with some of the parents.

Yep, that was what I was asking to be explained.  No future in teaching that stuff at a Sunday school where they are taught the opposite.

Bet you aren't asked for a followup gig.

1 minute ago, astro said:

Yep, that was what I was asking to be explained.  No future in teaching that stuff at a Sunday school where they are taught the opposite.

Bet you're right.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I listened the other morning driving in. He said November 3 is gonna be the start of the civil war. 

Tried to watch the Notre Dame FB game.

Culled pics from the net.

Cranked out a chicken parmesan on a bed of noodles dinner.

Got overwhelmed by the "news" on the television so we've popped in a DVD disc of season 2 of Yellowstone.

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Refurbished two road bicycles. This is gonna hurt me more than it will you.

What kind of frame steel, aluminum, carbon, bamboo?

On 9/7/2020 at 7:20 PM, Al Paca said:

Yesterday,

put a 2 nd coat of varnish on the stbd fwd toe rail and a first coat on the double dorade box. Went to my shop and had a 1 st jam session with a couple of guitarists I found on CL. Went ok, ran through a bunch of Dead songs, some Neil Young, some basic blues stuff and a go at All Along the Watchtower. Not that they were Jimmy Hendrix and I’m no Mitch Mitchell on drums but all good. What’s that old saying? a bad day of making garage rock is better than........

I hope ya threw in a Springsteen song or two.  Max Weinberg is one hell of a good drummer.

Bruuuuuuuuce!!!!!

Killing time cleaning the shop, to avoid relaunching the trailer cruiser before any zebra muscles have time to dry out.  At least I don’t have water ballast.  With so few sailing days left and gusts too high to solo sail a two person dinghy, this bites.  

On 9/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, astro said:

One of the kids stopped by my place today, and asked me what I thought about BLM.

I asked her what she thought. She totally disagrees with her parents. But this would be a PA subject if I went any farther. (She's 12 BTW)

Busy weekend. 3 weeks to daughter’s wedding. That has morphed from a decent sized do in Palm Beach to just wedding party and family at the house in MD thanks to COVID.  Been trimming trees and bushes to improve the view, refreshing mulch with the limited supply at the local Lowe’s, power washing decks and patios and built a deck extension overlooking the water to house a decorated arbor plus the celebrant and couple.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to get another 60-80 bags of mulch to finish things off. 

Wondering what sacrifices we need to make to score clear and dry weather, maybe 2-3 degrees above average on 10 October. Hoping to avoid Bride or Mother of the Bridezilla over the next 3 weeks. If it rains and/or gets cold we are screwed. 

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

One of the kids stopped by my place today, and asked me what I thought about BLM.

I asked her what she thought. She totally disagrees with her parents. But this would be a PA subject if I went any farther. (She's 12 BTW)

So you were given a second chance?  I lost my bet?

2 hours ago, astro said:

Not really. The kid walked about a half a mile here to my property to ask me personally, because the lesson yesterday was that all BLM members were thugs and criminals who want to shoot police, and loot innocent store owners.

Nice Sunday sermon for the kids, eh?

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:
3 hours ago, astro said:

Not really. The kid walked about a half a mile here to my property to ask me personally, because the lesson yesterday was that all BLM members were thugs and criminals who want to shoot police, and loot innocent store owners.

So, in summarey mabey;  accomplishemnte = settte a yougue minde aflame..................                     :)

Just trying to get them to think for themselves.

Saturday I got a good weather window and went out to my oyster farm to tend to the lads. I'm up to 14 bags now, probably 4-5k, about half of which are market size or better.  It took about 4 hours and, even given the pleasant calm conditions I was bushed.

enhance

Sunday morning woke up aching all over and decided this isn't fun anymore. Put the whole shebang up for sale on Craig's list.

https://maine.craigslist.org/grd/d/sebasco-estates-oyster-farm-for-sale/7199039914.html

• Like 2

Just finished cutting the drawer sides for the miter saw cabinet.  If I can motivate myself, I'll do the bottoms today, too.  I really need to find a better way to pass the time.  No doubt rum would help.

MitCab_013.jpg.8fa40b73a9818309912ab5ca3ac3b008.jpg

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Just the churches doing their support thing.  Evil pricks doing that to the children, but that is normal.

6 hours ago, Willin' said:

Saturday I got a good weather window and went out to my oyster farm to tend to the lads. I'm up to 14 bags now, probably 4-5k, about half of which are market size or better.  It took about 4 hours and, even given the pleasant calm conditions I was bushed.

enhance

Sunday morning woke up aching all over and decided this isn't fun anymore. Put the whole shebang up for sale on Craig's list.

https://maine.craigslist.org/grd/d/sebasco-estates-oyster-farm-for-sale/7199039914.html

man, I used to do that at a place I had in southern VA.. had 1/2 of a million of em in floats around my dock  when dermo got em.. that's when I gave up. 

had been selling to restaurants in DC and VA for about 4 years and delivering in 5 gal drywall buckets to a couple places in Chicago when I'd fly on SW to go visit my kid LOL

hard work that. 

• Like 1

today I made about 6 trips to the dump trying to clean up my yard to get ready to sell this place. 

a couple of those trips were for trimmings off the bottom branches from a huge ass magnolia tree at my other house around the corner that I'm moving into. 

Downsizing out of my waterfront place.... 

I took down circa 1990 mini blinds in my daughter's bedroom and replaced with the new venetian blinds that don't have a pull cord. Nice stuff and so easy even I can't screw it up.  But you folks who are craftsmen would just shake your heads. Trashy stuff. But an improvement from the 30 year old trashy stuff it replaced!!

• Like 3

We're having some blustery days here so I went out back and tied the boat to one of the ground screws we installed before the hurricane season. 

We've only got a 15' pier with pilings at either end and in the middle.  Not the best thing when the wind kicks up. 

Just the one line on the stern cleat made a lot of difference.  Now the boat's holding in place a little better.

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

man, I used to do that at a place I had in southern VA.. had 1/2 of a million of em in floats around my dock  when dermo got em.. that's when I gave up. 

had been selling to restaurants in DC and VA for about 4 years and delivering in 5 gal drywall buckets to a couple places in Chicago when I'd fly on SW to go visit my kid LOL

hard work that. 

Ya Mon, as always, you do what you love until it forces you to stop being that and be an employer/ businessman. I don't want to be either. If no buyer comes along, looks like I'm eating a lot of salty protein for the next few years. I'll manage to somehow deal with that inconvenience with a smile.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

We oure talkling oysteres......       ritte?                         :)

Hey now! :PShoulda seen that one cumming!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Willin' said:

Ya Mon, as always, you do what you love until it forces you to stop being that and be an employer/ businessman. I don't want to be either. If no buyer comes along, looks like I'm eating a lot of salty protein for the next few years. I'll manage to somehow deal with that inconvenience with a smile.

I take consolation in that at least at the place I'm living in now, it's been crabs pretty much on demand from the dock for the last 15 years.. this has been a particularly good summer for em. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I take consolation in that at least at the place I'm living in now, it's been crabs pretty much on demand from the dock for the last 15 years.. this has been a particularly good summer for em. 

I'm sorry to hear that. RID can help that situation.

14 hours ago, Willin' said:

Ya Mon, as always, you do what you love until it forces you to stop being that and be an employer/ businessman.

It's getting to be Gumbo season again with our first cold front blowing in and the thermometer dipping to 70!!  Brrrr...

I've had friends say that I should go into the business since good gumbo is tough to find. But I'm sure after about 6 weeks of it, I would learn to hate what I now love. Not worth it.

29 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

It's getting to be Gumbo season again with our first cold front blowing in and the thermometer dipping to 70!!  Brrrr...

I've had friends say that I should go into the business since good gumbo is tough to find. But I'm sure after about 6 weeks of it, I would learn to hate what I now love. Not worth it.

I've tried to convince my wife to open a gumbo only truck or food stand. She's not having it, too labor intensive and what would we have to charge to make a profit? I call her Gumbo Mary, which I think has a nice ring to it, even though her name is Cheryl.;)

On the plus side, if no one shows any interest in the farm I'll be experimenting with oyster gumbo this fall. Hell, oyster everything.

Our New Orleans friend makes oyster stuffing for turkey and it's awesome!

I stirred 3 oysters into my scrambled eggs this AM and it was delicious too. Everything's better with oysters!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Willin' said:

I've tried to convince my wife to open a gumbo only truck or food stand. She's not having it, too labor intensive and what would we have to charge to make a profit? I call her Gumbo Mary, which I think has a nice ring to it, even though her name is Cheryl.;)

On the plus side, if no one shows any interest in the farm I'll be experimenting with oyster gumbo this fall. Hell, oyster everything.

Our New Orleans friend makes oyster stuffing for turkey and it's awesome!

I stirred 3 oysters into my scrambled eggs this AM and it was delicious too. Everything's better with oysters!

I would think that anyone who has seriously considered the oyster farming business would find your asking price pretty reasonable.  The cages are not inexpensive, the lease is a proven location plus throw in the skiff?  You are not overpricing it at all from what I see.  That said, people seem to want to buy existing things for mere pennies on the dollar.  

Gentlemen, gentlemen.  The best way to eat an oyster is raw, with maybe a squeeze of lemon.  And absolutely no hot sauce. 

To me the beauty of eating an oyster is that fresher than fresh, delicate, yet very organic (and some varieties stronger flavored than others), and many other wonderful things.  I lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years and ate sushi or sashimi at least once a week and often more.  I have had really good fresh sushi, but being that the oyster is alive until you chew it enough to kill it, well that's another level of fresh.  And I have had sushi directly made from freshly killed fish but it's still not the same as oysters.  They are just magic.

That's just my opinion obviously, cook them if you must.  

• Like 1

For raw oysters, Erin French's  (Lost Kitchen) mignonette sauce recipe

1 medium shallot, finely diced

1/2 cup seasoned (salt and sugar) rice wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon pepper 

Combine, refrigerate, enjoy. While oysters can survive several months out of water, fresh harvested are a real treat. Not sure of the situation in The Burg but all the cages around MDI come out in December because of the ice. Good luck with the sale.

14 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. RID can help that situation.

not with these, just some old bay and vinegar  ... 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

today I made about 6 trips to the dump trying to clean up my yard to get ready to sell this place. 

a couple of those trips were for trimmings off the bottom branches from a huge ass magnolia tree at my other house around the corner that I'm moving into. 

Downsizing out of my waterfront place.... 

got a listing for the place you are selling? 

2 hours ago, Slick470 said:

got a listing for the place you are selling? 

pm sent

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Jules said:

Had my first mid-COVID restaurant outing.  The parking lot was almost empty but the wait was 25 minutes.  All that space and no one there. 

Willie Nelson's dad provided the music.

It was weird.

Mid-COVID? I'm not that optimistic...

I got up at 2am to makw it to the heliport to check in for crew change at 3am here in Louisiana.  Stood in line for over an hour with a sore back (fell while playing pickleball with the wife on Tuesday...doh!!)  Got on a bus to be transported to the crew boat (no helicopters when we are at anchor).  Crew boat ride out to rig, napped a little, now I'm up on the bridge until 0600.  Crew change days are long.

Planted an acre of peas. Ran out of fuel half way through covering them with the drag. Got a call from the vet that my dog has cancer... 3-6 months to live. Said fuck refueling, I'm gonna go cuddle with my dog for the evening.

• Like 3
On 9/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, animeproblem said:

Task list for today begins & ends with FA.

It's pouring rain outside & it's my 61st birthday.

But we've needed this rain so it's a good thing.

And a belated happy birthday to you!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I made a pot of coffee. Thinking about donuts. 

Ah, donuts.  Haven't enjoyed one of those pleasures in a while.  Instead I'm still slogging along working on drawers for a cabinet.  Wood doesn't taste nearly as good as donuts.

41 minutes ago, Jules said:

Ah, donuts.  Haven't enjoyed one of those pleasures in a while.  Instead I'm still slogging along working on drawers for a cabinet.  Wood doesn't taste nearly as good as donuts.

When I was a kid we used to pull small sassafras saplings out of the ground, skin the thin roots and chew on them.  They were kind of tasty if you like black licorice.  

But I prefer donuts as well.  Chocolate iced donuts.  Or glaze donuts.  Or apple fritters, if they count as donuts.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

When I was a kid we used to pull small sassafras saplings out of the ground, skin the thin roots and chew on them.  They were kind of tasty if you like black licorice.  

You cane macke sassafras tea withe thoise rootes to.                                  :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jules said:

You can have both wood and donuts, you know. Go ahead, knock yourself out!

I'm thinking I'm gonna got get some myself (donuts, not wood) and surprise the kids on a Saturday morning. Thanks, Al!

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:
On 9/25/2020 at 10:20 AM, Al Paca said:

I made a pot of coffee. Thinking about donuts. 

Damn Al, sometimes I almost want to like you.

Why? He's made no move whatever to share.

Let's give him a chance though. There's always hope........

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

Well thanks Eddie.  And just so you know, I have never even considered putting you on ignore. 

Thanks.  Nor did I ever think to do so to you.  I love you man!

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

You cane macke sassafras tea withe thoise rootes to.                                  :)

We did that on occasion.  It was easier just to chew the roots, my mother didn't like us little tykes fooling with the gas stove and boiling water.

Wise woman, my mother.