Building a small sailing dinghy.

Looking to make my row boat into a little sailing dinghy by outfitting it with a windsurfer sail on the bow.

I have all the supplies to build a transom, rudder, and mast step.

I'm wondering if this build will work if I don't have a daggerboard/keel.  

Just planning on using this thing for fun around the bay.

Cheers

IMG_20181118_160552719.jpg

IMG_20181118_160600492.jpg

Better keep the oars on board. Without a daggerboard, centreboard or leeboards, I'm thinking you'll get little more than a run, though I see the hull does have a bit of a keelson. A pair of leeboards might be simple to contrive.

• Like 2
On 9/1/2020 at 6:09 PM, retroSail said:

Looking to make my row boat into a little sailing dinghy by outfitting it with a windsurfer sail on the bow.

I have all the supplies to build a transom, rudder, and mast step.

I'm wondering if this build will work if I don't have a daggerboard/keel.  

Just planning on using this thing for fun around the bay.

Cheers

IMG_20181118_160552719.jpg

IMG_20181118_160600492.jpg

Get an old set of 2 by 4s, some load bearing bolts, Bondo and a 505 rig. Retrofit the 505 rig with a mast head spinnaker and stay wings. Finish the job with trapeze wings and associated trapezes....

Peer pressure rules.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, retroSail said:

So the boat has a slot on the bottom for a dagger board but the seat is covering the top of that slot. I'm not sure how I could get a board in there with out cutting the seat open. 

Personally, I would test your concept out without a central dagger (swing or slot) first by using leeboards.  A dowel or board that spans across the gunwales with a simple mount on each side could let you fashion leeboards without cutting into your hull below waterline.  I'd test that first and see if you like it.

• Like 1

Sort of.  See below. It has the same problem as your boat, however, because it is a rowboat and not set up for sail.  Your skill set may be either different or superior to mine, but I could retrofit a rowboat for sailing if it were wood, but I don't think I could if it were a glass rowboat.  The above answers to your questions are either an indirect "no" or people joking around.  The rowing skiff in the picture is somewhere around a 36" beam and would not sail well.  Though some have done it.  

10982254_10205178695459466_8536320906755342841_o.jpg

Woodenboat Magazine, some years ago  had an interesting article about building a flat bottomed skiff by eye.  The hull was a weekend build.  Sailing bits would add significantly, but no different than what you propose.  Although the below is a Virginia Deadrise, meaning V bottom, it follow the same logic.  That is a rack of eye, no plans build, btw.  19'6".

1465845_10201857056620571_251551487_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Grestone said:

Personally, I would test your concept out without a central dagger (swing or slot) first by using leeboards.  A dowel or board that spans across the gunwales with a simple mount on each side could let you fashion leeboards without cutting into your hull below waterline.  I'd test that first and see if you like it.

Put the board in from the bottom and go sailing 

• Like 1

Simple fix. Bit of wood from the sail cut out on the mast to the back corner of the sail,  lashed on. Sail will press against it on one tack and not on the other. Doesn't matter. You need a boom for this rig. boat is not long enough or wide enough to use a loose footed one like in your picture.  Bit of 2" by 1" should do.

• Like 1

Sweet!  Fucking around with donor rigs is great fun. 
Make sure your out haul or snotter  is easy to adjust. That sail is designed for a bent mast (usually provided by the strong wishbone boom and a ton of luff tension/ downhaul) which is why it’s so baggy mid height right behind the mast. It will never look good, but outhaul tension is your only tool. 
Downwind in big air is swimming time with all the sail on one side. Get rid of the boom and let the sail fold around the mast, holding the sheet by hand, for running in survival mode. Practice in lazy light/ medium winds. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, thengling said:

I'm curious about the mast leaning into the picture from the right. 

3 hours ago, retroSail said:

The mast is bendy as its an old fibreglass windsurfer mast. A little big too. 

i think he is refering to this

image.png.d14f4f8b1d3171d5a6b188431d28fce6.png

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Trovão said:

i think he is refering to this

image.png.d14f4f8b1d3171d5a6b188431d28fce6.png

Oh yes. Long story short they had a stern anchor out during a storm and sank their boat...

At the moment there are 7 sunk boats that I know of in the bay. This is one of two with the mast still attached.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Get rid of the boom and let the sail fold around the mast, holding the sheet by hand, for running in survival mode. Practice in lazy light/ medium winds. 

So I don't have a boom yet but are you saying it won't be useful at all or that it'll cause more issues? 
I will only be in light winds until I feel really comfortable. 

4 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Make sure your out haul or snotter  is easy to adjust.

If you don't have Todd Bradshaw's book Canoe Rig, get it. Lots of ideas, including leeboards, snotter adjustment, etc., small boat friendly. Sketch from his book.
snotter-jpg.11391

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Yeah, try it now before you put a boom on. Free fly the sheet by hand. Flip it so it wraps either side. Instant reef. Great for downwind landings. And totally safe jibes. 

Yea I was thinking last night that to reef this sail all I have to do is roll it up. I'll give it a shot next time I go out and report.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to really test out the rig the other day. Can go upwind so I guess it works. I wrapped up the sail to make it a bit smaller. I think I need to cut through the seat so the dagger board is easier to put in and take out. 

IMG_1913.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, retroSail said:

So the boat has a slot on the bottom for a dagger board but the seat is covering the top of that slot. I'm not sure how I could get a board in there with out cutting the seat open. 

As long as the covering is above the waterline?  

1 hour ago, Amati said:

It’s the PNW.  That is wind.

Yea I was able to get out on some nice days in the fall when it was blowing 15kts and blue skies. Had to play around with the sail shape a lot as the winds increased but I was able to go up wind with the setup so I think that is a success in my books.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That'll buff out.

Seriously, if you get it free from the trees it may well assume most of its former shape. If so, a little crack sealing with 5 minute epoxy, and Bob's your uncle. Go for it - don't give up the ship! :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CapnK said:

That'll buff out.

Seriously, if you get it free from the trees it may well assume most of its former shape. If so, a little crack sealing with 5 minute epoxy, and Bob's your uncle. Go for it - don't give up the ship! :)

Yea it has been rescued and will be fixed in the spring when the weather is a little nicer. 

• Like 2