My 505 Restore and rigging

I all, Im a newbie to the forum and have been using the archives a bit to help me rig this 505.  Its hull number 2967, and I bought it from a friends who sailed and camped out of its for years.  Not sure where he got it, but it was in his barn and in decent condition and the rest is history.  I posted a link to my Goog;e photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/TVtz2i5PCBAzQhFN6  if anyone care to have a look.  Basically I stripped the hardware.  Epoxyied the hull deck joint as needed, reglassed the hull deck joint, stripped and epoxy and varnished the foredeck, and replced the rotted transom cross member...so for.  reattached some basic hardware and went for a spin.  The hull was solid and tight with no big leaks. 

I then went on to do some mast rake rigging and bought rig you dinghy right off amazon and going into that to get the basic controls altogether.  I dont know the builder and thats a curiousity if anyone can weigh in on....originally thought parker, but after seeing a few on the archives, maybe an old rondar.  interesting thisng is that I think someone started to do the Benjamin Rig...as it looks like the jib halyyard and traps are in the same attachment tohe mast, and looks like they have rigged adjustble fore and aft shrouds, however someon then went to the quadrant adjustable shrouds.  anyway Im looking forwqrd to a couple years of fooling with it and the goal is to learn a bunch about making a boat go fast, and to basically rig it original to the hull strength etc....with some little tweaks that the 505 community has come up with over the years.  Cheers everyone and I hope my photos help someone else, I also have a bunch of videos on YT if anyone wants to see them.  but I gotta go so let me know and Ill post the link....Cheers all...Ron

I don't think Rondar. IF it has a skinny centerboard trunk, it is a Rondar. If not, it is something else.

Somewhere on the old 505 site (Forget if the international or the North American one) there was a list (quite comprehensive) of boats from the beginning. IT was an open database and I added a few that I knew.
Other builders from 1967 68 etc (more or less your vintage) included Fairie Marine (division of teh aircraft). These are confusing because they moulded hulls that were finished by a variety of firms including Simmonds in New Jersey (but he build full transoms).

Nice project. Post some more photos as you go along.

Thanks FY, I saw some fairey photos,. Also. The curvy cross members in particular stand out, also the centerboard trunk construction do could be .    At the end the builder is a curiosity.  It has a great rig and relatively little major issues for an old boat. , it sails!! Going out this weekend. 

• Like 1

I think this is a much customized Parker.  I had 3194,  a Parker built in July 1968, and based on the transom and transom bar shape,  the curved thwart support,  and the aft deck profile, as well as the number in the transom bar,  it makes me think Parker.  Rondar wasn't building 505s at that time, Pete White was still sailing Parkers, that split came a few years later.  Larry Simmons highest boat number was in the 2664 range or so, and he was actually from Southbridge, MA, not NJ.  Butler boats by this time were all glass, although I knew of a couple earlier boats (the Hillhouse girls for one) that had a wood deck.   Capt Rahn's boat has been greatly modified, especially the shroud set-up, we didn't start seeing adjustable shrouds for a few more years.  Other bits, the launcher was the Parker kit, again added probably after 1970, once launchers were allowed.  That was a fun job, spending alot of time in the bow tank with fiberglass, thankfully I small enough so my shoulders fit inside the bow tank hatch.  In fact, that is another hint this is a Parker, from the one pic that shows the bow tank hatch.  Hope this helps, and enjoy the boat!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, koolkat505 said:

I think this is a much customized Parker.  I had 3194,  a Parker built in July 1968, and based on the transom and transom bar shape,  the curved thwart support,  and the aft deck profile, as well as the number in the transom bar,  it makes me think Parker.  Rondar wasn't building 505s at that time, Pete White was still sailing Parkers, that split came a few years later.  Larry Simmons highest boat number was in the 2664 range or so, and he was actually from Southbridge, MA, not NJ.  Butler boats by this time were all glass, although I knew of a couple earlier boats (the Hillhouse girls for one) that had a wood deck.   Capt Rahn's boat has been greatly modified, especially the shroud set-up, we didn't start seeing adjustable shrouds for a few more years.  Other bits, the launcher was the Parker kit, again added probably after 1970, once launchers were allowed.  That was a fun job, spending alot of time in the bow tank with fiberglass, thankfully I small enough so my shoulders fit inside the bow tank hatch.  In fact, that is another hint this is a Parker, from the one pic that shows the bow tank hatch.  Hope this helps, and enjoy the boat!!!

If my pm worked here I'd send you a note but I can't get it to work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, koolkat505 said:

This is great stuff! When unearthed the numbers on the rotted transom bar, under layers of paint....I figured it might be a clue as to who was doing that.  The previous owner wasn't sure if the sail numbers were correct to the hull.  Thanks for the history on the boats from that time, there is very little I've been able to come across.  I think your right on the Parker, the rondar clue I had was I saw one with those curvy thwarts, and the parkers I had seen had more to the style I added.  Anyway, those were pretty weak, adding the plywood really stiffened things up.

I'll be replacing that whole door and bulkhead this fall.  It's pretty punky plywood.  

fastyacht, got message saying you are not set up to receive messages when I just tried to PM you, guess you will need to do some sleuthing....good luck!