When offered the Vaccine, will you take it?

On 2/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Tharsheblows said:

However, regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, I'm still in the camp of not really interested unless not being vaccinated inconveniences my life in the smallest possible way...then I will probably get in line.

Are you really that selfish or are you just having us on?

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The private sector has embarked on a major campaign to reassure the public that they will not release a vaccine until they are confident it is safe and effective. We can expect a joint statement from

I am a PhD Bioengineer, a serial entrepreneur, and affiliate faculty at a large public university. I dearly want there to be a safe and effective vaccine as soon as possible. I also believe that the C

My employer did similar, but unleashed a new weapon today. We intend to keep the mask requirement for at least another six months. However, anyone who stops by HR and shows proof that they’re fully va

Posted Images

8 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Just watched JnJ CEO and various commentators on CNBC about that vaccine and it is a little disingenuous. They tout the single shot, but it is the same efficacy as a single shot of BioNtech/Pfizer or Moderna/NIH, so either everyone getting the JnJ should also get a second shot of it or the mRNA vaccines, or a single shot of the mRNA vaccines is enough. You can't have it both ways!

I'm not sure that the discrepancy you detect has to be based in a lack of veracity,  I think the truth may be that many very smart people are trying their best but vaccine development is really complicated (understatement of the year).  It may be that no two vaccines are "equally effective" because the vaccines are slightly different and all people are slightly different, but it can also be possible that all of the vaccines are effective enough.

It is obviously preferable from a public health point of view to have one shot but I suspect in testing the immunity levels were just too low at first so some companies decided to move forward immediately but recommend two doses while others (JnJ) worked harder to perfect the single dose vaccine.

9 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Not yet, but surely lots of talk about it in Israel and Europe. 

Sorry to hear you are not willing to get vaccinated. I feel it is also a moral societal obligation to help move your community towards herd immunity. Secondary to protecting yourself, you are helping protect others around you by getting vaccinated, especially given your acceptance that the side effects are minimal.

Concerns about duration of protection and levels of protection against variant should not stop you, they are all somewhat unknown but all evidence suggests both issues can be dealt with if need be by boosters down the road.

I understand and accept the "being part of the solution" mentality even if I'm not personally very afraid of dying of the disease.  However, part of my thinking is that I am pretty positive I caught the disease (which sucked but wasn't the worst thing I ever caught) and recovered so I think it is likely that I gained some natural immunity the hard way.  I have no idea how strong or long lasting my "natural immunity" is, or if it exists at all, but that along with my age and relative health puts me in a lower risk category than many people who are still trying to get the vaccine.  I would hate to push my way ahead of others who both want and possibly need the vaccine more than myself.  I also understand that reasoning will probably expire sometime about mid-summer.  Also, more honestly, I'm deeply skeptical of any new medication or vaccine so I'd like to buy as much time as possible to see how others fare.  I probably will get the vaccine eventually but that timetable would likely be accelerated if not having the vaccine inconvenienced me in any way...thus my original question.

But apart from me completely, I think the idea that we will ever get anywhere near 100% isn't consistent with the realities of the world.  For example, the annual flu vaccine which has been around for many years and has a very good safety and effectiveness record is only taken by less than a half of Americans.  (I know, I know its a very different disease but its an interesting data point when looking at population vaccination rates)

While I appreciate some people’s reluctance to take the vax, I know that once vaccines are fully available, we will start treating it like any other communicable disease at my company. So far, we have gone over and above to cover testing costs, provide remote work, even if your day job is on the shop floor, etc.  we are providing paid time off to get the vax and offering a small incentive but are not going to require it for now. No more extra sick leave or special considerations if you don’t take the shot when it becomes readily available.  

I expect we will see international travel requiring proof of vaccination for quite some time before it opens up completely, if at all. I carried a yellow vaccination card for a lot of years.  I think that is coming back. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Tharsheblows said:

I understand and accept the "being part of the solution" mentality even if I'm not personally very afraid of dying of the disease.  However, part of my thinking is that I am pretty positive I caught the disease (which sucked but wasn't the worst thing I ever caught) and recovered so I think it is likely that I gained some natural immunity the hard way.  I have no idea how strong or long lasting my "natural immunity" is, or if it exists at all, but that along with my age and relative health puts me in a lower risk category than many people who are still trying to get the vaccine.  I would hate to push my way ahead of others who both want and possibly need the vaccine more than myself.  I also understand that reasoning will probably expire sometime about mid-summer.  Also, more honestly, I'm deeply skeptical of any new medication or vaccine so I'd like to buy as much time as possible to see how others fare.  I probably will get the vaccine eventually but that timetable would likely be accelerated if not having the vaccine inconvenienced me in any way...thus my original question.

But apart from me completely, I think the idea that we will ever get anywhere near 100% isn't consistent with the realities of the world.  For example, the annual flu vaccine which has been around for many years and has a very good safety and effectiveness record is only taken by less than a half of Americans.  (I know, I know its a very different disease but its an interesting data point when looking at population vaccination rates)

Do you go through this kind of mental masturbation and excuse making in all your important decision-making?  What are you, 19? :rolleyes:

Take yourself out of this. Do for others. Maybe it'll start a personal chain reaction.

• Like 1
On 12/9/2020 at 8:54 AM, 12 metre said:

Was the cause of death determined as being due to the Pfizer vaccine?  Plus in any group of thousands of random people several will die from assorted causes within a few months period.

Bell's Palsy, while disconcerting, is temporary and usually goes away after a short period of time.  https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/uk-news/four-trial-volunteers-of-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-develop-bells-palsy-us-fda-clarifies.html

Short quote from the article: 

"Four people in the United States, who got COVID-19 vaccine shot developed by Pfizer/BioNTech, developed Bell’s Palsy, which is a form of temporary facial paralysis. According to US FDA report on the shot, there wasn’t any clear information on whether the vaccine caused Bell’s palsy. However, the officials warned that doctors should watch for the alarming situation and Pfizer should continue to keep a tab on how many people it strikes. 

Bell’s Palsy resolves on its own most of the time. According to DailyMail, the US FDA said that the number of Bell’s palsy cases seen in the vaccine trial was "consistent with the background frequency of reported Bell's palsy in the vaccine group that is consistent with the expected background rate in the general population." The officials added that there is no clear basis upon which to conclude a causal relationship at this time, but they also will keep a close watch on future cases."

Now I did hear on the radio this morning that 2 UK recipients of the Pfizer vaccine did have reactions, but they were both health health workers with severe allergy problems and carried epi-pens with them.

So that’s what is affecting McConnell!

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

While I appreciate some people’s reluctance to take the vax, I know that once vaccines are fully available, we will start treating it like any other communicable disease at my company. So far, we have gone over and above to cover testing costs, provide remote work, even if your day job is on the shop floor, etc.  we are providing paid time off to get the vax and offering a small incentive but are not going to require it for now. No more extra sick leave or special considerations if you don’t take the shot when it becomes readily available.  

I expect we will see international travel requiring proof of vaccination for quite some time before it opens up completely, if at all. I carried a yellow vaccination card for a lot of years.  I think that is coming back. 

That wouldn't surprise me.  I have carried a yellow card showing my yellow fever vaccination and other vaccinations recommended for African travel. 

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Do you go through this kind of mental masturbation and excuse making in all your important decision-making?  What are you, 19? :rolleyes:

Take yourself out of this. Do for others. Maybe it'll start a personal chain reaction.

It may seem like mental masturbation by the time I explain my reasoning in detail but its really a simple instantaneous analysis - for me personally the vaccine poses more unknowns than the disease that I already caught and recovered from.  This is a brand new type of vaccine and the rate of its creation and testing is unprecedented in human history.  That is both marvelous and concerning.  Those who aren't concerned at all are either much more afraid of the disease than I am (rightly or wrongly so), or have far more confidence in science than I do (rightly or wrongly so).   Only time will truly tell how well the vaccines perform.

But like I said, it works itself out naturally because we don't have enough doses for everyone yet so some of us can line up like outside of an apple store releasing a new model phone and others can hang back for a few months and see how it all turns out.  And if you aren't in a high risk group its probably responsible to hang back for a few more months.

But I can appreciate your point...it obviously comes from good intentions.

1 hour ago, Tharsheblows said:

It may seem like mental masturbation by the time I explain my reasoning in detail but its really a simple instantaneous analysis - for me personally the vaccine poses more unknowns than the disease that I already caught and recovered from.  This is a brand new type of vaccine and the rate of its creation and testing is unprecedented in human history.  That is both marvelous and concerning.  Those who aren't concerned at all are either much more afraid of the disease than I am (rightly or wrongly so), or have far more confidence in science than I do (rightly or wrongly so).   Only time will truly tell how well the vaccines perform.

But like I said, it works itself out naturally because we don't have enough doses for everyone yet so some of us can line up like outside of an apple store releasing a new model phone and others can hang back for a few months and see how it all turns out.  And if you aren't in a high risk group its probably responsible to hang back for a few more months.

If you are confident you had COVID already, obviously that changes everything. Agree with wait till most have had the jab, then do it to be sure, and you only need one. Good luck.

13 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

I understand and accept the "being part of the solution" mentality even if I'm not personally very afraid of dying of the disease.  However, part of my thinking is that I am pretty positive I caught the disease (which sucked but wasn't the worst thing I ever caught) and recovered so I think it is likely that I gained some natural immunity the hard way.  I have no idea how strong or long lasting my "natural immunity" is, or if it exists at all, but that along with my age and relative health puts me in a lower risk category than many people who are still trying to get the vaccine. 

You might consider getting an antibody test to verify whether you had it.

For all you know, you just had a more common flu.

Your justification rings a bit hollow to me, and sounds more rationalization than justification.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

It's a fallacy that the vaccine is "less tested." Especially by now, there are >10 million Pfizer and another >10 million Moderna vaccine recipients in the USA, all with compiled medical records.

Now, -if- you have already caught and recovered from CoviD-19 (your bolded part above) then you need to get an antibody test. #1- you may not have had it and #2 there are enough documented cases of re-infection that you cannot assume it's made you immune.

I appreciate your good intentions in not shoving somebody else out of line to take their place getting vaccinated, but otherwise your posts are a bunch of less-well-informed self-rationalizing. I hope that you'll get vaccinated eventually... and bear in mind, this kind of thing will almost certainly happen again.

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's a fallacy that the vaccine is "less tested." Especially by now, there are >10 million Pfizer and another >10 million Moderna vaccine recipients in the USA, all with compiled medical records.

None of the vaccines will pass Phase 3 testing until late 2022 or longer.  That is testing over time.  Why do you think it is recommended to not give the vaccines to children and pregnant women?

Now, -if- you have already caught and recovered from CoviD-19 (your bolded part above) then you need to get an antibody test. #1- you may not have had it and #2 there are enough documented cases of re-infection that you cannot assume it's made you immune.

Antibodies are only one part of the immune system response.  If an individual has had a mildly symptomatic case and or returned a positive test for Covid-19 then they are more likely to have immunity than taking a. vaccine.

Why?

Because the vaccine effectiveness is not 100%.  They range between about 65% and 95%.  Contrary to what you assert the level of reinfection is very very low.  So low that the effectiveness of immunity gained through natural infection is very close to 100%.

I appreciate your good intentions in not shoving somebody else out of line to take their place getting vaccinated, but otherwise your posts are a bunch of less-well-informed self-rationalizing. I hope that you'll get vaccinated eventually... and bear in mind, this kind of thing will almost certainly happen again.

They are no less "well informed or self rationalisng" than yours.  I agree with poster - if I had tested positive to Covid-19 I have already been vaccinated by nature.  More likely more effectively than an artificial vaccine.  That's why the human species has survived and grown because it has a very effective natural immune system.  Vaccines try to replicate that or rather elicit the same immune response that the virus itself does.

No one can say that there is zero medium or long term risk from the vaccine(s).  Trials haven't being going long enough.  Why do you think each of the manufacturing companies sought and were granted immunity from liability if there was no risk?

Vaccines dont stop people from being infected nor being infectious they just provide a head start to the body to fight the infection to stop it becoming a serious illness.

Vaccines are not force shields around your body.

If I've had Covid-19 I understand the rational approach to saying I'm willing to wait to see more results from these multiple experiments that are going on.  if you haven't had Covid-19 then you need to weigh up personally your vulnerability versus the risk and effectiveness of the vaccines.  Thats not being an anti-vaxxer but an informed and rational human being.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, accnick said:

Your justification rings a bit hollow to me, and sounds more rationalization than justification.

True, I could confirm my suspicion that I already caught COVID with an antibody test.  And yes, it is also true that I don't really want to take the vaccine because I have a healthy distrust of any new medication/vaccine.  That makes it easier to justify my decision to delay.

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

None of the vaccines will pass Phase 3 testing until late 2022 or longer.  That is testing over time.  Why do you think it is recommended to not give the vaccines to children and pregnant women?

Antibodies are only one part of the immune system response.  If an individual has had a mildly symptomatic case and or returned a positive test for Covid-19 then they are more likely to have immunity than taking a. vaccine.

Why?

Because the vaccine effectiveness is not 100%.  They range between about 65% and 95%.  Contrary to what you assert the level of reinfection is very very low.  So low that the effectiveness of immunity gained through natural infection is very close to 100%.

They are no less "well informed or self rationalisng" than yours.  I agree with poster - if I had tested positive to Covid-19 I have already been vaccinated by nature.  More likely more effectively than an artificial vaccine.  That's why the human species has survived and grown because it has a very effective natural immune system.  Vaccines try to replicate that or rather elicit the same immune response that the virus itself does.

No one can say that there is zero medium or long term risk from the vaccine(s).  Trials haven't being going long enough.  Why do you think each of the manufacturing companies sought and were granted immunity from liability if there was no risk?

Vaccines dont stop people from being infected nor being infectious they just provide a head start to the body to fight the infection to stop it becoming a serious illness.

Vaccines are not force shields around your body.

If I've had Covid-19 I understand the rational approach to saying I'm willing to wait to see more results from these multiple experiments that are going on.  if you haven't had Covid-19 then you need to weigh up personally your vulnerability versus the risk and effectiveness of the vaccines.  Thats not being an anti-vaxxer but an informed and rational human being.

Exactly how I feel on all counts!  ...unless of course not having the vaccine inconveniences me a little bit, in which case I will likely get the vaccine earlier.  I don't think I'm alone in this camp even if many people don't admit it.

8 hours ago, accnick said:

You are correct that I don't know 100% that I caught it but i'm pretty sure, its not a subtle disease.  And yes an antibody test could shed some more light on that.  But when there still are people in higher risks groups that want the vaccine but cant get it yet...delaying is still a reasonable option, no matter what the results of the antibody test.  (I suppose it would give me a better idea of how careful I should be around more vulnerable people in the meantime)  

35 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

What part of my post was dis or mis information?

Congrats on brevity. You're learning!

But so far you haven't posted anything correct and you apparently do not sail either

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Congrats on brevity. You're learning!

But so far you haven't posted anything correct and you apparently do not sail either

- DSK

Wrong on all accounts.

Confirmed cases of reinfection globally - 62.

Suspected cases - 11,971

Confirmed cases of Cobvid-19 - 111 MILLION.  You do the math.  A very very small figure.  https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/ Updated daily.

Vaccine effectiveness - minimum 65% - 95% maximum.  Now even when you correctly extrapolate the math (hint: 95% doesn't mean 5% will get Covid-19) the chances of being reinfected after having Covid-19 is significantly more unlikely than if you had been vaccinated.

Oh and as for the sailing part - I was coaching on Sunday.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

You are correct that I don't know 100% that I caught it but i'm pretty sure, its not a subtle disease.  And yes an antibody test could shed some more light on that.  But when there still are people in higher risks groups that want the vaccine but cant get it yet...delaying is still a reasonable option, no matter what the results of the antibody test.  (I suppose it would give me a better idea of how careful I should be around more vulnerable people in the meantime)  

Living in an Aristotelian universe, I gather, where gravity works because of desire?  

You do have a sense of droll condescension about it.  Not an easy bifecta to pull off.  Not the usual bile, more of a William Buckley sort of ennui....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Wrong on all accounts.

Confirmed cases of reinfection globally - 62.

Suspected cases - 11,971

Confirmed cases of Cobvid-19 - 111 MILLION.  You do the math.  A very very small figure.  https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/ Updated daily.

Vaccine effectiveness - minimum 65% - 95% maximum.  Now even when you correctly extrapolate the math (hint: 95% doesn't mean 5% will get Covid-19) the chances of being reinfected after having Covid-19 is significantly more unlikely than if you had been vaccinated.

Oh and as for the sailing part - I was coaching on Sunday.

All bullshit

Ask the CDC if you want to know

Do you baffle your imaginary sailing students with bizarre fictional theories about aerodynamics, to hear yourself talk?

- DSK

53 minutes ago, Amati said:

Living in an Aristotelian universe, I gather, where gravity works because of desire?  

You do have a sense of droll condescension about it.  Not an easy bifecta to pull off.  Not the usual bile, more of a William Buckley sort of ennui....

lol, nicely worded! 

Perhaps you are detecting that I'm not very concerned with further efforts eliminating any possible chance that the illness I suffered was something other than COVID.  I'm both satisfied that my diagnosis is accurate and realize that further information would not likely change my plans. 

I'm still in a lower risk group than many people who are trying to get the vaccine and I'd still like a little more time to pass to see how it all works out. 

Besides a negative antibody test isn't definitive evidence that you didn't get COVID.  There are many cases in which an individual tested positive for COVID and later tested negative for the antibody test.  

And no gravity doesn't work merely because of my desire, but it sure is fortuitous when gravity and my desire align!

5 minutes ago, Tharsheblows said:

lol, nicely worded! 

Perhaps you are detecting that I'm not very concerned with further efforts eliminating any possible chance that the illness I suffered was something other than COVID.  I'm both satisfied that my diagnosis is accurate and realize that further information would not likely change my plans. 

I'm still in a lower risk group than many people who are trying to get the vaccine and I'd still like a little more time to pass to see how it all works out. 

Besides a negative antibody test isn't definitive evidence that you didn't get COVID.  There are many cases in which an individual tested positive for COVID and later tested negative for the antibody test.  

And no gravity doesn't work merely because of my desire, but it sure is fortuitous when gravity and my desire align!

If gravity worked based on desire, I doubt there would be any sagging tits in the world.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Texas looks like a fun place to go now. Wide open for business, no wussy masks. 

Elon sure knew where to move Tesla to. 

Electrical companies going bankrupt, 10 million people boiling their tapwater, and sitting at the bottom of the page when it comes to getting vaccine into people's arms.  

Pretty much squeezin' Mississippi outa the bottom of the barrel.

Here's Dolly :D

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-03/dolly-parton-gets-moderna-covid-vaccine/13211240

Dolly Parton sings altered version of her hit song "Jolene" as she receives her first dose of Moderna vaccine

"Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, because once you're dead, then that's a bit too late."

• Like 3
On 3/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, NeedAClew said:

Texas looks like a fun place to go now. Wide open for business, no wussy masks. 

Elon sure knew where to move Tesla to. 

Desperate people will work for cheap wages

- DSK

South Carolina is opening to Group 1B as of Monday the 8th.

I'm scheduled to get vaccinated on 12th in Bennettsville about 85 miles from home, as they had open appointments.

Made a reservation for a friend from VA who's a lung transplant,  > 65 and who's not been able to get one there due to blue state incompetence and political posturing. 

The "science" seems to have been politicized over the past year, for what it's worth: 

• I believe there is a Novel Coronoa Virus, that infects some humans, causing symptoms in a subset, and fatalities in a very small subset.
  • I believe it originated in China, near or in Wuhan
  • The probability of it's being (accidentally) released from one of their bio labs is high, but un-provable at this time remotely
  • The denial of problem, continual corruption of the WHO and refusal to close international travel, while interdicting local indicts the CCP
  • Those "islands" such as NZ and Aus who shutdown and aggressively contact traced were effective. Those connected countries where travel was not (possibly) prevented were not able to contain, though remote regions were less problematic and had their peaks at delayed intervals. 
  • The blatant politicization of prohibitions/tolerances on gatherings, rendered the "science" worthless.  
  • The response in the US was mixed, retrospectively the Blue state/city and many of their congress critters are culpable and should be thrown out for their resistance. 
  • Trump and the FDA/CDC seem to have made choices that were mixed: the Warp Speed program a strong positive, Trump's style a negative. 
  • CDC & FDA initial incompetence on testing was a setback, and the apparent turf battles should lead to re-organization
  • The specification of > 30 cycles of PCR reinforcement gave a lot of false positives. 
  • The reflexive resistance to Hyrdoxychloroquine, publication of false studies, suppression of real information should lead to prison for the perpetrators
  • Fauci et al and the guidance of the month week, with hypocritical reinforcement by state and local governments undercut the credibility and efficacy of any containment strategy
  • "Two weeks to flatten" the curve was an intentional lie from the get go 
  • Those living & working in close proximity with recycled air were more susceptible than those who were outside, low density and maintained distancing. 
2 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Made a reservation for a friend from VA who's a lung transplant,  > 65 and who's not been able to get one there due to blue state incompetence and political posturing. 

I call total BS on that statement which is as incorrect as it is offensive. In Virginia I have 3 siblings and their spouses > 65, none with significant health problems but all vaccinated now. It's your friend who is either too incompetent or infirmed to handle the process.   What a laugh - Virginia is ahead of South Carolina!

South Carolina is at Group 1B, while here in North Carolina (with our Blue State governor) we are at Group 3 already and progressing to Group 4 by March 24.

• Like 1

https://www.cleansingfire.org/2021/02/a-rabbis-31-reasons-for-not-taking-the-vaccine/

1.It’s not a vaccine. A vaccine by definition provides immunity to a disease. This does not provide immunity to anything. In a best-case scenario, it merely reduces the chance of getting a severe case of a virus if one catches it. Hence, it is a medical treatment, not a vaccine. I do not want to take a medical treatment for an illness I do not have.

2.The drug companies, politicians, medical establishment, and media have joined forces to universally refer to this as a vaccine when it is not one, with the intention of manipulating people into feeling safer about undergoing a medical treatment. Because they are being deceitful, I do not trust them, and want nothing to do with their medical treatment.

Etc,etc

25 minutes ago, dorydude said:

https://www.cleansingfire.org/2021/02/a-rabbis-31-reasons-for-not-taking-the-vaccine/

1.It’s not a vaccine. A vaccine by definition provides immunity to a disease. This does not provide immunity to anything. In a best-case scenario, it merely reduces the chance of getting a severe case of a virus if one catches it. Hence, it is a medical treatment, not a vaccine. I do not want to take a medical treatment for an illness I do not have.

2.The drug companies, politicians, medical establishment, and media have joined forces to universally refer to this as a vaccine when it is not one, with the intention of manipulating people into feeling safer about undergoing a medical treatment. Because they are being deceitful, I do not trust them, and want nothing to do with their medical treatment.

Etc,etc

I suppose you can trust scientists including the worlds leading epidemiologists including Dr. Fauci, Dr. Peter Hotez (our local expert) or any number of those around the world or just trust your local Rabbi. Just because these guys have spent their entire lives in the field of viruses and vaccines doesn't compare to the local religious guru.

Good luck with that.  fwiw I know Pentecostals who don't believe in wearing masks or feel the need to get a vaccine since Jesus takes care of them. Several have had the virus but none have died so, so far so good.  I have had both from Moderna and while I still am cautious feeling a lot better about being out and about.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I suppose you can trust scientists including the worlds leading epidemiologists including Dr. Fauci, Dr. Peter Hotez (our local expert) or any number of those around the world or just trust your local Rabbi. Just because these guys have spent their entire lives in the field of viruses and vaccines doesn't compare to the local religious guru.

Good luck with that.  fwiw I know Pentecostals who don't believe in wearing masks or feel the need to get a vaccine since Jesus takes care of them. Several have had the virus but none have died so, so far so good.  I have had both from Moderna and while I still am cautious feeling a lot better about being out and about.

Did you say scientists?

“Biggest Health Scam of the 21st Century.” Report by 1500 Health Professionals

It's like the Global Warming nonsense. The "huge consensus of scientists" isn't actually the case...
7 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Did you say scientists?

It's like the Global Warming nonsense. The "huge consensus of scientists" isn't actually the case...

Seriously? Mikey aka the kate short a brain aka  Unaposter and you should have some great conversations. buh bye.

• Like 1

I guess what you believe is why all countries in the world are racing to vaccinate their populations. Why Israel is near 90% done. Why over 85 million americans have already gladly gotten the vaccine and millions more are clamouring for it. You really do live in an alternate reality. Everyone else is wrong and you are the one who actually understands what is going on.

1 hour ago, dorydude said:

Did you say scientists?

Ah well, that says it all.

"Science" to you means which political orientation it appears to be coming from

I'm guessing you have no idea what "vaccine" actually means or what it does, or why... how about "virus" (hint, it's different from "walrus")

2nd hint: ever heard of the human body's "immune" system?

- DSK

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

I guess what you believe is why all countries in the world are racing to vaccinate their populations. Why Israel is near 90% done. Why over 85 million americans have already gladly gotten the vaccine and millions more are clamouring for it. You really do live in an alternate reality. Everyone else is wrong and you are the one who actually understands what is going on.

I don't understand your point?

Since when have you been a herd follower?

I won't be getting vaccinated this year or next.  I'm not in a vulnerable category and so the risk is low.  I've assessed that risk against the lack of long term evidence of either the efficacy or safety of the various vaccines.  I'm not particularly accepting of Government's giving the pharmaceutical companies immunity from prosecution either. 

Now you may argue that I'm not doing my "civic duty" and I am being selfish.  Well if you are vaccinated how is me not getting vaccinated affect you? If I was one of those that had tested positive for Covid-19 already then I would seriously question why I would take the risk of having a vaccine that is less effective and has greater unknowns than the illness that I have just recovered from.

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

2nd hint: ever heard of the human body's "immune" system?

Yep and there are at 115 million people (probably over a billion going on WHO figures) who have acquired natural immunity from Covid-19 through infection.  Such is the human body's "immune" system.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, LionessRacing said:

South Carolina is opening to Group 1B as of Monday the 8th.

I'm scheduled to get vaccinated on 12th in Bennettsville about 85 miles from home, as they had open appointments.

The "science" seems to have been politicized over the past year, for what it's worth: 

• I believe there is a Novel Coronoa Virus, that infects some humans, causing symptoms in a subset, and fatalities in a very small subset.
  • I believe it originated in China, near or in Wuhan
  • The probability of it's being (accidentally) released from one of their bio labs is high, but un-provable at this time remotely
  • The denial of problem, continual corruption of the WHO and refusal to close international travel, while interdicting local indicts the CCP
  • Those "islands" such as NZ and Aus who shutdown and aggressively contact traced were effective. Those connected countries where travel was not (possibly) prevented were not able to contain, though remote regions were less problematic and had their peaks at delayed intervals. 
  • The blatant politicization of prohibitions/tolerances on gatherings, rendered the "science" worthless.  
  • The response in the US was mixed, retrospectively the Blue state/city and many of their congress critters are culpable and should be thrown out for their resistance. 
  • Trump and the FDA/CDC seem to have made choices that were mixed: the Warp Speed program a strong positive, Trump's style a negative. 
  • CDC & FDA initial incompetence on testing was a setback, and the apparent turf battles should lead to re-organization
  • The specification of > 30 cycles of PCR reinforcement gave a lot of false positives. 
  • The reflexive resistance to Hyrdoxychloroquine, publication of false studies, suppression of real information should lead to prison for the perpetrators
  • Fauci et al and the guidance of the month week, with hypocritical reinforcement by state and local governments undercut the credibility and efficacy of any containment strategy
  • "Two weeks to flatten" the curve was an intentional lie from the get go 
  • Those living & working in close proximity with recycled air were more susceptible than those who were outside, low density and maintained distancing. 

Another who leads with his politics...

First, "2 weeks to flatten the curve" was based on infection & reinfection rates. For example, if we had 1 day of perfect behavior on the part of EVERYBODY and not one single new case, that would be a 1 day flatter curve. If we could do it for 2 days, enough people would recover and become uninfectious that "the curve" would go down a little. 4 days, double that. ... If we could do it for two weeks, there would be very very little SARS-2 / CoviD-19. But we can't do that, but we COULD reduce the transmission by enough.

This is not a lie, it's actually pretty common sense if you follow thru what everybody -should- know about virus and contagious disease.

You also seem to be conflating the political bullshit artists put in charge of the CDC and the actual medical scientists of the agency.

If you believe that Hydroxychloroquine is in fact a medicine for viral infection, then I have a bridge you're gonna love.

Finally, "blue state incompetence" seems to be keeping the electricity on and getting over the pandemic a lot better. Compare infection maps for South Carolina and it's neighbors to the north (not that the next two are really "blue states" in any definitive sense).

- DSK

1 hour ago, dorydude said:

Did you say scientists?

The Q is strong in this one...

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Finally, "blue state incompetence" seems to be keeping the electricity on and getting over the pandemic a lot better. Compare infection maps for South Carolina and it's neighbors to the north (not that the next two are really "blue states" in any definitive sense).

You not only lead with politics but end with them as well.  So much for the science!

11 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

You not only lead with politics but end with them as well.  So much for the science!

You just want to believe that, because I can actually do math and get correct answers. It's SO-O unfair!

For example

28 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Yep and there are at 115 million people (probably over a billion going on WHO figures) who have acquired natural immunity from Covid-19 through infection.  Such is the human body's "immune" system.

So, by figures you pick up: What percentage of the US population has acquired immunity thru infection & recovery?

Now, what is the percentage of the population which must have immunity in order to have "herd immunity" (by real medical science, that is)?

How close are we, in reality?

Bonus- what's the difference between immunity acquired thru infection & recovery (although I suppose you could say dead people are immune) and immunity acquired thru vaccine?

- DSK

11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Bonus- what's the difference between immunity acquired thru infection & recovery (although I suppose you could say dead people are immune) and immunity acquired thru vaccine?

Pray tell - share with us your scientific mathematical prowess!

2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Pray tell - share with us your scientific mathematical prowess!

Do you expect me to follow you around all your life and answer questions for you?

Learn to find the answers... real ones, not longwinded bullshit.... for yourself.

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do you expect me to follow you around all your life and answer questions for you?

Learn to find the answers... real ones, not longwinded bullshit.... for yourself.

- DSK

LOL...typical response.

To keep it brief - if I'm in a low risk group (under 55 - no commodities) and/or have had Covid-19 there is no advantage to me to get vaccinated.

As for naturally induced Covid-19 immunity the science is more conclusive for it than for the vaccines.  Also the longevity and effectiveness of natural immunity is greater than a vaccination induced one.  Heaps of science to support that and much of it has already been posted and discussed here and elsewhere.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

LOL...typical response.

To keep it brief - if I'm in a low risk group (under 55 - no commodities) and/or have had Covid-19 there is no advantage to me to get vaccinated.

As for naturally induced Covid-19 immunity the science is more conclusive for it than for the vaccines.  Also the longevity and effectiveness of natural immunity is greater than a vaccination induced one.  Heaps of science to support that and much of it has already been posted and discussed here and elsewhere.

Oh yeah? What science is more conclusive?

Please give your cites... a lot of people would like to know the longevity of both types of immunity.

BTW the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine provide  booster effects to the immune system in several ways that CoviD-19 infection/recovery does not.

Also, there are some statistics showing that whatever your age or co-morbidities, catching CoviD-19 doubles your chance of dying within a year. And that does not take into effect the long-term debilitation that many young healthy people are suffering after covid infection.

So... you're full of shit. As always. Are you deliberately trying to get more Americans killed? That is what your posts are suggesting.

- DSK

On 3/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Israel Hands said:

I call total BS on that statement which is as incorrect as it is offensive. In Virginia I have 3 siblings and their spouses > 65, none with significant health problems but all vaccinated now. It's your friend who is either too incompetent or infirmed to handle the process.   What a laugh - Virginia is ahead of South Carolina!

South Carolina is at Group 1B, while here in North Carolina (with our Blue State governor) we are at Group 3 already and progressing to Group 4 by March 24.

When your most fragile population (Over 65 with lung transplant) can't get an appointment that's problematic. If you find it offensive, then vote for somebody who's not going to infringe on your rights, and pander to the left. But you get what you vote for sometimes, unless your votes mysteriously don't count... 

As regards, NC, good on them for getting those that want the virus vaccinated. We have a significant seasonal snow bird population who are getting it done here, as they don't want to hang around their full time residences and deal with their (Blue) state contagion and incompetence.

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Another who leads with his politics...

First, "2 weeks to flatten the curve" was based on infection & reinfection rates. For example, if we had 1 day of perfect behavior on the part of EVERYBODY and not one single new case, that would be a 1 day flatter curve. If we could do it for 2 days, enough people would recover and become uninfectious that "the curve" would go down a little. 4 days, double that. ... If we could do it for two weeks, there would be very very little SARS-2 / CoviD-19. But we can't do that, but we COULD reduce the transmission by enough.

This is not a lie, it's actually pretty common sense if you follow thru what everybody -should- know about virus and contagious disease.

You also seem to be conflating the political bullshit artists put in charge of the CDC and the actual medical scientists of the agency.

If you believe that Hydroxychloroquine is in fact a medicine for viral infection, then I have a bridge you're gonna love.

- DSK

Hardly lead with politics, but your reading comprehension is not the question, it's rather well established to be poor, given your polarization.. 

The management of the crisis was bungled at the state level starting back in February/March, with the focus on trying to contradict Trump, and condemn his every move. The reflexive hate made the Democrats stupider than they normally are, and that' saying something. Pelosi's focus on the impeachment, and the complaining about the China air travel ban are examples of poor choices that undercut the response. But mentioned bullshit artists, so there you have them. 

Regarding Hydroxychloroquine, go look up retracted studies, and ask yourself why India has been successful in managing with it. There's more of your political bullshit. 

We are now finding out that Cuomo's staff were committing felonies in misrepresenting the death rates, while he was writing self congratulatory book and accepting an emmy. With the doubt casting on the efficacy of vaccine by Harris, Biden et al, its hardly surprising that there would be reluctance to accept it. Nice work that, and compounded afterwards by Joe conveniently forgetting he was vaccinated prior to inauguration, but claimed it didn't exist. 

You literally can't make that stuff up. But given the craven, despotic focus of the "blue state governors" and mayors to give Garcetti and Di Blasio their due, the death toll was far higher than it needed to be. 

It's a pity that Democrats are so power mad and obsessed with TDS that they literally killed people and lied about it to oppose sensible measures. 

Nice work, you should be proud of supporting it, you got what you wanted, and now the whole world is going to suffer from Biden and the idiots in congress trying to deny the science of economics, while supporting the nonsense of climate change, and poly genderism. 

When your most fragile population (Over 65 with lung transplant) can't get an appointment that's problematic. If you find it offensive, then vote for somebody who's not going to infringe on your rights, and pander to the left. But you get what you vote for sometimes, unless your votes mysteriously don't count.

C'mon dude, you can't believe any of those 3 sentences.

1) Your friend could not have gotten an appointment in your beloved South Carolina heretofore either. Virginia is ahead of SC in vaccinations, not behind it.

2) I'm not offended by our governor in NC, nor by the governor in VA. By rights infringed upon, are you talking about wearing masks? Really?  If Ronald Reagan had been president last year, he would have told Americans that wearing a mask was everyone's patriotic duty. And everyone would have done so.

3) Who's votes weren't counted?  Only the marginalized black votes in our states where suppression laws have been passed and districts have been gerrymandered.

nonsense of climate change, and poly genderism

Conflation statement of the century!  Dude you are a walking Fox News talking point machine. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

unless your votes mysteriously don't count... 

Did you just make the insane suggestion that voter fraud including throwing out of ballots happened?   

Not educated, just hoping we get to 70%, which together with those infected, knowing it or not, will give us herd immunity. If we had vaccine passports for anything beyond international travel, it would be higher, but I don't see the US instituting vaccine passports, way too much resistance, unlike Israel and probably UK and maybe much of Europe.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, Tharsheblows said:

Any educated guesses about the ultimate percentage of the population that will get vaccinated and why?

I'd like to see 80% or more.

The vaccine gives better immunity than recovering from infection.

The people who refuse it don't know what a virus is, or what a vaccine does, much less any of the details of -this- vaccine. And they want to claim superior scientific knowledge.

- DSK

17 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Where is your evidence for that outlandish statement?

It is wrong and one simple piece of data proves that.  In 14 months of the pandemic there is close to  zero percentage of re-infection.  If your assertion was correct then out of 117 million confirmed infections we would see much more than 11,000 "possible but not confirmed" re-infection cases.

Your assertion also falls down on the fact that there can't be any evidence that over time a vaccination provides " better immunity".  How can there be when vaccinations have only been occurring for a short period of time.

I am allowed to register soon and the J&J one shot is available for my tier on March 14th. I'll take it.

I got hold of my immunization records from all the travel our family did with Dad in the Air Force. HOLY FUCK did I get lots of shots. All before I was 12 yrs old and I very rarely get the flu or a cold now.

33 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I am allowed to register soon and the J&J one shot is available for my tier on March 14th. I'll take it.

I got hold of my immunization records from all the travel our family did with Dad in the Air Force. HOLY FUCK did I get lots of shots. All before I was 12 yrs old and I very rarely get the flu or a cold now.

I bet you ate a lot of cookies before 12 yrs old too, and you rarely get the flu or a cold now... 

Coincidence? You decide

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I went through that same scenario growing up in the Air Force. Every year, marched in for our immunizations. On the plus side, no one gives shots better than a military corpsman.

4 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:
21 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Where is your evidence for that outlandish statement?

You don't have a clue how the human immune system works, do you? Kind of like you're clueless about math, clueless about basic microbiology, or any other field that requires actual knowledge instead of endless bullshit.

How does the virus stimulate the immune system? Does it specifically prompt the generation of all ranges of response cells?

Your claims about reinfection are bullshit too. Check with the CDC

- DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Your claims about reinfection are bullshit too. Check with the CDC

Well why don't you post the CDC information?

While you are at it why don't you post the CDC information that shows that below the age of 65 Covid-19 has a significantly lower mortality rate than influenza.

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How does the virus stimulate the immune system? Does it specifically prompt the generation of all ranges of response cells?

Um....are you really wanting an answer to these questions?  Don't you know how the "virus stimulates the immune system"?  

As for you second question - yes it does "prompt the generation of all ranges of response cells".  Quite a bit more research supporting that than that supporting the vaccine(s) doing it.

13 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Um....are you really wanting an answer to these questions?  Don't you know how the "virus stimulates the immune system"?  

As for you second question - yes it does "prompt the generation of all ranges of response cells".  Quite a bit more research supporting that than that supporting the vaccine(s) doing it.

What do you think scientists that create the vaccines do all day?

Hint- not bullshitting on the internet like you, trying to get more people killed

Have you figured why 'rate of change' is important, yet?

- DSK

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

What do you think scientists that create the vaccines do all day?

Scientists or Pharmaceutical companies?  I'm happy to look at the comparative data if you have it.

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hint- not bullshitting on the internet like you, trying to get more people killed

Why would I bullshit and try to get more people killed?  Actually I'm trying to do the opposite (knowing full well that debating the issue on a forum isn't going to change anything) and am thinking about the long term issues for those that could have had long productive lives but won't because the focus has been on saving one group over another.  I also care about the children and youth who are in no danger of dying from Covid-19 but have had their lives upended by a selfish few.

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Have you figured why 'rate of change' is important, yet?

Pray tell - explain more?

21 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

20 hours ago, Weyalan said:

I bet you ate a lot of cookies before 12 yrs old too, and you rarely get the flu or a cold now... 

Coincidence? You decide

Yea we did eat cookies, they were home made by Mom. We were only allowed 2 cookies. With 5 boys and 1 girl in the family, our parents never bought candy except for Halloween. We learned how to bake at a young age and cake (w/real buttercream frosting) and cookies were our candies.

But you should see my vaccination record. Before we went to Bangkok in late 1966, I was only 9, we were given all sorts of immune booster and shots for the 3rd world. We also traipsed around in all sorts of muck once acclimated to Thailand heat. It was a wonderful experience.

Sometimes you guys just seem to be a bit off.

Yep. Just got Moderna #2 this morning. Last of 4 siblings to do so. We grew up in a medical household where vaccinations as kids, for travel, etc were never questioned. They work! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

Yea we did eat cookies, they were home made by Mom. We were only allowed 2 cookies. With 5 boys and 1 girl in the family, our parents never bought candy except for Halloween. We learned how to bake at a young age and cake (w/real buttercream frosting) and cookies were our candies.

But you should see my vaccination record. Before we went to Bangkok in late 1966, I was only 9, we were given all sorts of immune booster and shots for the 3rd world. We also traipsed around in all sorts of muck once acclimated to Thailand heat. It was a wonderful experience.

Sometimes you guys just seem to be a bit off.

Most kids in the first and second world receive a bunch of vaccinations (anti-vaxing fruit-loopers notwithstanding). I didn't spend much of my childhood in SE Asia, but I still received plenty of needles for all kind of immunisations. That you did spend time in SE Asia probably meant you got a few extra... maybe cholera, typhoid, yellow fever, Japanese B encephalitis and possibly several others (totally not my area of expertise). But I find it a real stretch to suggest that your childhood vaccinations against diseases endemic to SE Asia has somehow boosted your immunity to colds and flu's in your late middle age... and that was what you were implying, no?

Growing up in South Africa in the 1950s and 60s we all just got the various childhood diseases and mostly survived. Chicken pox, mumps, measles, countless flus and colds, and who knows what else. But I still recall how happy my parents were to get us the polio vaccine. I will finally get my second Moderna dose tomorrow, with a gap of two months, and then have the weekend to survive it if necessary.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Growing up in South Africa in the 1950s and 60s we all just got the various childhood diseases and mostly survived. Chicken pox, mumps, measles, countless flus and colds, and who knows what else. But I still recall how happy my parents were to get us the polio vaccine. I will finally get my second Moderna dose tomorrow, with a gap of two months, and then have the weekend to survive it if necessary.

Feeling fine after 2nd dose, and hope you do as well. 

My old man was a family doc, and we kids got our share of flu and other stuff as a result. Chicken pox is something I wish I hadn't got. Found myself in Spain at age 51 with an excruciating case of shingles - didn't know what the Hell it was - and thought I was going to die flying middle seat home. (Think oyster knife twisting in your chest wall.) Get the shingle vaccine!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Feeling fine after 2nd dose, and hope you do as well. 

My old man was a family doc, and we kids got our share of flu and other stuff as a result. Chicken pox is something I wish I hadn't got. Found myself in Spain at age 51 with an excruciating case of shingles - didn't know what the Hell it was - and thought I was going to die flying middle seat home. (Think oyster knife twisting in your chest wall.) Get the shingle vaccine!

Yup, got my shingles vaccine, the old and new versions, a couple of years ago. I'm 65 and over the past 30 years have watched several senior colleagues survive shingles and it seems utter miserable. Also amazingly variable in presentation, some just a painful side of their face, others lost hearing on one side and worse.

1 minute ago, TheDragon said:

Yup, got my shingles vaccine, the old and new versions, a couple of years ago. I'm 65 and over the past 30 years have watched several senior colleagues survive shingles and it seems utter miserable. Also amazingly variable in presentation, some just a painful side of their face, others lost hearing on one side and worse.

Yes, feel lucky that mine was chest and side version. The bit of remaining neuropathy serves as a positive reminder that I'm not in intense pain. Serious pain can wreck a life.

I had shingles 20 some years ago. Mercifully a very mild case.  Ran from my navel to my right hip.  An older (70+) friend of mine had a much more serious case and was miserable for months.

got offered Sputnik V several times at my job, refused, because i dont want to go to office, dont believe that its not bullshit that our vaccine is "the best of the best", waiting for as long as i can to see if there is any side effects

Being 51 out of 50 states, I'm thinking about DC, Georgia's Republicans intend to lead the way (to hell).  Our gubernor is hoping we start thinking outside the box.  

Damn, her box was the only thing working.  Now I can't even have that?  https://www.yesweekly.com/news/let-s-talk-about-s-e-x-baby-her-box-promotes-self-love-and-healing/article_16f0245e-6bc3-11eb-a52c-439e598b9631.html

On 3/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, Israel Hands said:

C'mon dude, you can't believe any of those 3 sentences.

1) Your friend could not have gotten an appointment in your beloved South Carolina heretofore either. Virginia is ahead of SC in vaccinations, not behind it.

2) I'm not offended by our governor in NC, nor by the governor in VA. By rights infringed upon, are you talking about wearing masks? Really?  If Ronald Reagan had been president last year, he would have told Americans that wearing a mask was everyone's patriotic duty. And everyone would have done so.

3) Who's votes weren't counted?  Only the marginalized black votes in our states where suppression laws have been passed and districts have been gerrymandered.

Wowsers, your ignorance is stunning. We got him an appointment in SC. 

Rights infringed? not about masks that's merely theatrical posturing that reminds people to stay away from each other. Efficacy of a bandana to stop aerosols is nil. Efficacy to remind people to keep their paws out of the gob, somewhat effective 

Perhaps your state still practices suppression, I've no opinion on it as I have not invested any effort in looking into their politics. Interesting that you think so. And Gerrymandering is a longstanding practice, as denoted by the title, it dates back longer than the country. The winners get to set the rules, just as in the AC. 

Wowsers, your ignorance is stunning. We got him an appointment in SC. 

Rights infringed? not about masks that's merely theatrical posturing that reminds people to stay away from each other. Efficacy of a bandana to stop aerosols is nil. Efficacy to remind people to keep their paws out of the gob, somewhat effective 

Perhaps your state still practices suppression, I've no opinion on it as I have not invested any effort in looking into their politics. Interesting that you think so. And Gerrymandering is a longstanding practice, as denoted by the title, it dates back longer than the country. The winners get to set the rules, just as in the AC. 

Bandanas are not a good substitute for masks, agreed.

However, masks are certainly a good way to reduce person-to-person contagion. Try it with cigarette smoke some time.

- DSK

Second shot of Moderna on Friday. Sore arm as usual, but then yesterday fever to 101 and aches and pains and slept most of the day. Fine today.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Second shot of Moderna on Friday. Sore arm as usual, but then yesterday fever to 101 and aches and pains and slept most of the day. Fine today.

Well done!

Our county is doing pretty well, as before considerably better than the US in general, with almost 30% with their first shot of Moderna or Pfizer, and almost 25% now at second dose, as that has been the focus for the past couple of weeks. Next week they get back to more first doses. I'm hoping they will open it up to 55+ so more of my friends can get vaccinated. Since we are a mostly democrat city most citizens want to get vaccinated. Cases are way down, by almost 90%, but we still have a death or two a day. Hospitalizations are way down. So far no university students have been hospitalized despite thousands of infections. Virus did spread like wildfire through a nearby prison, but almost everyone recovered. Really hoping this is the end of it for us, B1.1.7 variant amoung students notwithstanding.