Steamed Crab

Whew,  I'm going to have to take my fall vacation like,  a month later in the year going forward. 

It's 84F and 113% humidity. It has POURED for the last 2 days. Thank God that there was wind to sail. 

Against my wishes,  we've taken a night at a marina to take on water and catch up the batteries.  I showered in the rain yesterday. 

Chilled fruit and water are the snack of choice in this humid soup. 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Whew,  I'm going to have to take my fall vacation like,  a month later in the year going forward. 

It's 84F and 113% humidity. It has POURED for the last 2 days. Thank God that there was wind to sail. 

Against my wishes,  we've taken a night at a marina to take on water and catch up the batteries.  I showered in the rain yesterday. 

Chilled fruit and water are the snack of choice in this humid soup. 

Didn't hear any complaints over the weekend...... Come on by.  We'll let you do laundry....

21 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Didn't hear any complaints over the weekend...... Come on by.  We'll let you do laundry....

Last weekend was great. Well,  sunnier anyway. We're in the Miles River now. 

We're at the museum.  Had a brief,  socially distant walk around town,  take out shrimp for lunch. We're making pasta for dinner. 

This Saturday the Eastport Oysterboys are playing a charity concert on the water over in Shaw Bay so we'll be there. 

Wednesday we sailed from Solomons to the Dividing Creek off the Wye East.  Got an early start.

Wind was steady around 10 - 12 kts. out of the northeast.  The heavy downpours were from just below Cove Point light to the mouth of the Choptank.  By the time we passed Sharp's Island light the rain much much lighter

Spent yesterday in the Creek and will head to St. Michaels today.

This trip is the first with a Balmar SG200 in place.  Have been following the other thread on that.

5 hours ago, Deadhead said:

Wednesday we sailed from Solomons to the Dividing Creek off the Wye East.  Got an early start.

Wind was steady around 10 - 12 kts. out of the northeast.  The heavy downpours were from just below Cove Point light to the mouth of the Choptank.  By the time we passed Sharp's Island light the rain much much lighter

Spent yesterday in the Creek and will head to St. Michaels today.

This trip is the first with a Balmar SG200 in place.  Have been following the other thread on that.

Dude,  I'm sure we saw each other.  Are you Easy Wind?

4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Well if Dungeness  crab is all you can catch, I guess you have to make do with it :P

I actually do get a bit burned out with fresh crab at the end of the season.

I also have 6,500 Pacific Oysters, 12,000 Manila clams, 15,000 Mediterranean mussels, and 35 geoducks that I grow on my beach. . . unfortunately (PSP) Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning has arrived so harvesting is delayed until the bay cools down?

24 minutes ago, view at the front said:

I actually do get a bit burned out with fresh crab at the end of the season.

I also have 6,500 Pacific Oysters, 12,000 Manila clams, 15,000 Mediterranean mussels, and 35 geoducks that I grow on my beach. . . unfortunately (PSP) Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning has arrived so harvesting is delayed until the bay cools down?

What do you do with geoduck?

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Whose job is it to count clams and oysters all day?

I do get to pay for the seed to replenish a bit each year, I've kept count.  I'm guessing with the mussels. . . they just show up, and are actually a PITA because they want to inhabit the inside and outside of my oyster grow bags and need to be removed (eaten) periodically or they take over.

14 minutes ago, Ajax said:

What do you do with geoduck?

I haven't yet, they are 5 years old now, are ready to harvest, and should be about 2 pounds each.  Sushi grade Geoduck can be more that $1,500/pound in Japan.  I'll probably try that sliced thin with a razor blade, or pounding and pan frying.  I'd hate to just grind them up for chowder after all this time.

I'm not sure what to expect when harvesting.  I've spend more that half an hour digging a wild one in the past.

6 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

We planned to surf launch and fish Canon Beach but 1/2 mile smoke vis isn’t safe. 

Maybe I'll paddle to my local beach,  capsize a couple times, roll around in the sand and lose some fishing tackle. Then go sit in my car for a couple hours in wet clothes. 

The things we do for fun...

On 9/10/2020 at 6:53 PM, Ajax said:

We're at the museum.  Had a brief,  socially distant walk around town,  take out shrimp for lunch. We're making pasta for dinner. 

This Saturday the Eastport Oysterboys are playing a charity concert on the water over in Shaw Bay so we'll be there. 

That should be fun. At least it should be dry. Should have come by while you were over this way. 

We barely made it to Solomons and back with the weather we had.  I hate motoring long stretches. 

I dropped a Scrabble tile down one of the cockpit scuppers tonight.  :angry:

18 hours ago, Ajax said:

Dude,  I'm sure we saw each other.  Are you Easy Wind?

Yep.  Easy Wind.

Leaving St. Michaels for Rock Hall when the 1st Mate gets up.  Should be another nice day out there.

14 hours ago, Deadhead said:

Yep.  Easy Wind.

Leaving St. Michaels for Rock Hall when the 1st Mate gets up.  Should be another nice day out there.

Lol,  saw you on ais all weekend.  You overhauled us on the way up from Solomons. 

20 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

What’s a single scupper score?

Get this- I bet that the Scrabble tile came to rest in a slight bend in the hose.  Next morning,  I got in the dinghy with a colander held under the drain hole while the wife poured water down the scupper and viola! Out pops the tile!

That's like,  triple score!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Lol,  saw you on ais all weekend.  You overhauled us on the way up from Solomons. 

We passed on the Oysterboys concert in Shaw Bay today.  The wind was just too good.  

• Like 1

Well, we had 9 days and 8 nights on the boat. Only that one night in a marina at St. Michael's. It was so soupy and windless that I broke down and rigged the A/C unit. Instant relief.

Friday morning, we left St. Michael's for a creek known as Dividing, up the Wye River. Wye Island is under state control as a Natural Resource Management Area. There is public access but not as wide open as a state park. Wye Island is where the famous Wye Oak tree lived:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak

My wife being a park ranger, was able to obtain a live cutting so I am growing a descendant of this noble tree in my yard.

Dividing Creek (and it's adjacent neighbor, Granary Creek) are (unfortunately) well known gems. I could have filled a notebook page with all the distinct forms of wildlife observed within 30 minutes of dropping the hook;  Osprey, 10 bald eagles in various states of maturity, red fox, deer, green heron, great blue heron, night heron, blue crab, kingfisher, pileated woodpecker, barred owl (at night, of course).  One, wavering bar of 3G/1X cell signal kept our phones quiet and out of our hands.

I had a great deal of trouble getting into a vacation mentality this past week. My wife said I was a new man as soon as I sat down after putting the hook in the mud. My blood pressure dropped 20 points, I swear. Silence, blessed silence.  We played Scrabble, baked cookies, watched the night sky.

Like I said, the place is not unknown. A wedding cake catamaran 3 tiers high blasted past us to occupy the single space remaining at the head of the creek. 5 "bros" clambered out practically shouting at each other. They jumped in their powered dinghy and zipped up and down the creek shouting like morons.  The bugs came out and chased them into their cabin. They ran the generator all. night. long. Their generator was much quieter than they were, so I called it an acceptable trade off. At 7:30 am, they weighed anchor and blasted out of the creek, leaving us in blessed silence again.

Saturday, around noon we weighed anchor and sailed out of the creek to a nearby bay where like I mentioned earlier, these local musicians put on this annual charity thing for the river keepers. This year was a record 200 boats and 50 dinghies.  A young couple zipped around the anchorage in a Star, blowing bubbles.  The anchoring shit-show was impressive. There was no clear winner on whether power or sail was more competent.

The concert was enjoyable. The band sang local favorites that probably no one outside our area has ever heard of. The sound system was powerful enough to be heard clearly across the anchorage. It was practically a model for socially distant concerts. Even the people in dinghies kept well apart. We joined close, trusted friends of ours on their boat for killer gumbo, desserts and scotch. A cool front moved through giving us sweet, comfortable sleep. 

This morning, I brewed the last of the coffee, fried up the last 2 eggs and maple sausage and washed up. We cast off from our friends and motored home on a mostly windless day.  It's not Penobscot Bay but a wise friend once told me- Comparison is the thief of joy.

19320.jpeg

20200912_091441.jpg

• Like 4
Just now, Elegua said:

I was gonna say...two pics was kinda thin... Dividing Creek sounds amazing. 

Am I limited to 9.77mb per thread?? I must be doing something wrong. Ok, here's lunch. Must be that photo that I'm trying to upload.

19475.jpeg

• Like 2

Weird. I took this panoramic shots. They were too large so I resized them to 5mb. The system insists that they're over the 9.77mb limit.

Damnit, I have drone shots of the creek that are also only 5mb and the system won't let me upload those either.

I blasted down to St. Mary’s today. 21-26 knots and 3’ breakers. Unfortunately my kite didn’t make the whole trip with me as the tack just disintegrated in a puff. That said it was an old kite and I had good fun with it. Put the jib back up and hit 14.3 surfing with white sails!

Ajax, you had quite the adventure. This will be my longest trip this year at 4ish days. Look forward to doing a trip like yours sometime in the not too distant future. I love anchoring in the Wye but like you said it can be tricky finding a good spot. 

722B320F-B754-4380-B26E-E14D3104953C.thumb.jpeg.d2e51a3bc9de3870935f55fba4a0feb0.jpeg

D5F22D9D-4BA7-4762-8AB0-13BCFE48CA61.thumb.jpeg.fba89391e5ea5f6c5b0a38474224a4c9.jpeg

• Like 1

"A wedding cake catamaran 3 tiers high blasted past us to occupy the single space remaining at the head of the creek. 5 "bros" clambered out practically shouting at each other. They jumped in their powered dinghy and zipped up and down the creek shouting like morons.  The bugs came out and chased them into their cabin."

The clowns must have jumped into the spot we left late Friday morning.  We had the head of the creek to ourselves Wednesday night through that morning when a small power boat pulled in around 9.  

One boat was anchored right at the confluence with the Wye when we first arrived.  We passed him by and followed a bald eagle up to our anchorage.  The first mate was amazed at the patience of the Herons who stood still seemingly for hours at a time.