Cats between 30 -35 feet

8 minutes ago, Ganzi said:

edel 33.

i wonder why small cats are so rare ?

The cat concept doesn't work at small sizes for most people, when hulls are so narrow you'd basically have to sleep in a coffin and the bridgedeck would either slam, have very low headroom or be ugly af.

There are also stability concerns.

So cats have mostly split into beach cats and giant condos. While there is usable design space between, it hardly gets used. Cats in it would run the risk of carrying both stigmas. Being unsafe like beach cats and bad sailing vessels like (early) condomarans.

• Like 1

Not just cats but boats in general have been getting bigger.  I am not buying that the only cats are beach cats and giant condos.  I have a Seawind 1000 with the one meter sugar scoop add on.  There is also the Seawind 1000xl.  Maine Cats are similar in size and design.  There are also PDQ cats that are in that range.  I have also seen some composite Wharram cats in that length range being built in yards using fiberglass.

As for the condomarans there is (or was till COVID-19) a huge demand for them in the charter market.  And truth be told lots of condomarans are basically used like daysailers or weekenders that only leave the dock for a short time.  Not to mention a condomaran is a great dock queen.

2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Yeah baby!  I loved mine, just couldn't afford to outfit it for full time live aboard as I'd hoped to do.

http://www.shuttleworthdesign.com/gallery.php?boat=twohoots

How was the hobby-horsing on that boat? I've seen a video of one dancing around quite a bit and wondered if it was just a coincidence or a regular occurrence 

17 hours ago, mathystuff said:

The cat concept doesn't work at small sizes for most people, when hulls are so narrow you'd basically have to sleep in a coffin and the bridgedeck would either slam, have very low headroom or be ugly af.

There are also stability concerns.

So cats have mostly split into beach cats and giant condos. While there is usable design space between, it hardly gets used. Cats in it would run the risk of carrying both stigmas. Being unsafe like beach cats and bad sailing vessels like (early) condomarans.

And ( trailerable) trimarans fill up that gap quite well

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, nyker said:

How was the hobby-horsing on that boat? I've seen a video of one dancing around quite a bit and wondered if it was just a coincidence or a regular occurrence 

I don't recall that being a big deal at all.  The worst thing in this video is the old mast "pumping".  This is the Na Pali coast, north shore of Kauai.

I believe this particular day (below) might have been the stupidest, most dangerous accidental jibe of my life!  (not on the video)  NEVER believe new crew who say they know how to sail, or even how to steer to a designated heading!!!

This is a similar, smaller Shuttleworth 31 rocking it!

Before I got my Seawind I spent lots of time looking at boats.  One of the biggest problems I had was actually finding a boat I could look at with a reasonable travel expense.  The first boat I looked at was a Corsair 24 Mk1.  The owner was a very likable guy who was a three hour drive away and basically said he liked to take the boat out every chance he got and offered me a ride.  I was impressed with the boat; especially when I was driving the boat with older sails and easily passing a Beneteau 52 much to the annoyance of the skipper of the B52.  Problem it was not really what I called a cruising boat; so I looked at a Corsair 31.  The trailer was a mess and it looked like the hatch on the companion way had a crack from the mast being dropped; and it had not seen the water for a while; but again it did not seem like something I could cruise on.  Still I was considering an fboat.  But saw a Telstar close by and looked at it.  It was definitely more of a cruiser than the 31 in terms of space but I read a lot about them and there seemed to be issues with it going into blue water.  Steve Marsh saw one of my posts at a different site and offered a ride on a 31 as well as inspecting a 27 and 28.  On that trip Steve also showed me a Seawind 1000xl.  The 31 was impressive but it was obvious the Seawind was at a different level in terms of a Cruiser.  Also saw a PDQ on the same trip that was on a ball.  While the PDQ was more of a cruiser than an fboat, or even the Telstar, it was in need of a lot of interior work.  There was lots of bare plywood in the salon.

The Seawind Steve showed me had an asking price above my hoped for price point but what worried me most was when the port companion way hatch was opened I gagged from the odor from the head.  Then I saw another Seawind advertised at close to my price point.  I drove down to look at it.  The owner lived on it and it had a composting head that was odorless.  It was in great shape and one of the lessons I learned is that a live aboard could mean most of the stuff on the boat worked.  To make a long story short I bought it in 2012 and have been cruising on it ever since, till COVID-19 destroyed most cruising.

In the time since I bought it I have been on multiple cruising boats.  One of my friends has a Shuttleworth that I am impressed with; something I should have added to the list I previously posted.  One of the issues with the Shuttleworth was no good davits solution; something I consider necessary for a cruiser.

While I am a huge fboat fan I am not convinced even a 36/37 is capable of cruising.  I was on an f39 and it did seem to have the space and load capacity to cruise.  But this goes back to the problem of find a boat for sale you do not have to travel excessive distances to look at.  In any case I do think there are lots of cats capable of cruising in the 30-35 foot range.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, ProaSailor said:

I don't recall that being a big deal at all.  The worst thing in this video is the old mast "pumping".  This is the Na Pali coast, north shore of Kauai.

I believe this particular day (below) might have been the stupidest, most dangerous accidental jibe of my life!  (not on the video)  NEVER believe new crew who say they know how to sail, or even how to steer to a designated heading!!!

This is a similar, smaller Shuttleworth 31 rocking it!

What even happened to Malahini? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 1:49 PM, Karlb said:

From recent experience, first  find out what you can actually buy. Work from that. It is easy to waste a year or more on boat that never actually gets built.

There is a Shuttleworth 31 on Yachtworld

Seems like it's gone... it was the PackSail boat. I couldn't tell how well the interior was done. It was listed for a pretty good price.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:39 AM, Speng said:

Who's making small cruising cats? If you had some cash burning a hole in your pocket and wanted something to do some coastal cruising what boats could you buy?

Asia Catamarans Stealth Cat clearly the top of the pack. Starts I think at 11 metres, so 36 feet, is in a league of it's own compared to similar sized machines.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Asia Catamarans Stealth Cat clearly the top of the pack. Starts I think at 11 metres, so 36 feet, is in a league of it's own compared to similar sized machines.

I've been doing a lot of work (it is a used boat) on a Stealth 13. I would buy one for myself. LOTS of great design features. Quite light, (design & build) tho, so you need to respect that.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:34 PM, Tomfl said:

But this goes back to the problem of find a boat for sale you do not have to travel excessive distances to look at.  In any case I do think there are lots of cats capable of cruising in the 30-35 foot range.

Excessive distance? I went cross-country to look at boats because there weren't many west coast options in the larger-than-a-beachcat and capable of week ending aboard.

It made for a fun weekend of pursuit and visiting cats in Chesapeake Bay and on the St. Lawrence.

I do wish there were more choices in this space.

• Like 1