Jump to content

Donnie claims another award.


Recommended Posts

Has the vainglorious one finally picked up an award that celebrates a US CIA debacle?

Trump boasts about getting 'Bay of Pigs Award' – which doesn't exist

Martin Pengelly

Sun 13 Sep 2020 23.45 BSTFirst published on Sun 13 Sep 2020 22.54 BST

  •  
  •  
  •  
Shares
2,790
 
Play Video
1:10
 Trump repeats claims he received 'Bay of Pigs Award', which doesn't exist – video

Attacking Joe Biden and seeking to exploit reports that his rival is struggling with Latino voters, Donald Trump boasted on Sunday of receiving “the highly honoured Bay of Pigs Award” from Cuban Americans in the battleground state of Florida.

Perhaps inevitably, and to the glee of the internet, no such award exists.

Read more

 

The Bay of Pigs invasion, in April 1961, saw a CIA-sponsored force of Cuban exiles attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro and his communist regime. The failure of the mission continues to haunt US-Cuban relations, even after Barack Obama sought to bring the nations closer together.

Trump, whose company reportedly broke the Cuba trade embargo in 1998, has sought to reverse Obama’s policies.

In his tweet on Sunday, he may have misremembered previous visits to a house in Little Havana, in Miami, which houses a Bay of Pigs museum and library and where survivors of Brigade 2506, the unit which carried out the invasion, gather to talk and remember.

 

Trump visited in 1999, when he was flirting with a run for president on the Reform party ticket. He was given gifts, if not awards: a brigade pin and, the Associated Press reported, “a plaque of the shoulder patch worn during the invasion”.

Trump visited the museum again in October 2016, receiving “a hand-painted Brigade 2506 shield” which his campaign insistedon Sunday was the award in question. 

Receiving the endorsement of the Bay of Pigs Veterans Association, Trump said: “You were fighting for the values of freedom and liberty that unite us all. The same values that are at stake in our election.”

 

Donald Trump receives a brigade pin at the Bay of Pigs museum, on 15 November 1999.  Donald Trump receives a brigade pin at the Bay of Pigs museum, on 15 November 1999. Photograph: Wilfredo Lee/AP

He went on to beat Hillary Clinton in Floridaand in the race for the White House. But at the time of the endorsement from the influential rightwing veterans group, he trailed Clinton in the state by 3.3%.

The website fivethirtyeight.com now puts Biden up by 2.6% in Florida. The Democrat will be supported by $100m from the former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg. But in Florida and in other states with large Latino populations, including Nevada where the president campaigned this weekend, Trump seems to be sensing his chance.

Pouncing on reports that the Vermont democratic socialist senator Bernie Sanders has “concerns” about Biden’s campaign, Trump tweeted: “Sleepy Joe Biden has spent 47 years in politics being terrible to Hispanics. Now he is relying on Castro lover Bernie Sanders to help him out. That won’t work!”

Trump has a well-documented habit of claiming to have received awards and honours which do not exist or which he has never been given. Famously, the president has displayed a fake Time magazine cover at his golf clubs.

He has also repeatedly claimed to have been named Man of the Year in Michigan, another battleground state, though one in which he trails Biden by 7.6%.

A former Republican congressman recently told CNN Trump may have confused a dinner in 2013 at which he spoke, and was given various mementoes, with the bestowing of an official award.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping this whole "Bay of Pigs" thing would have died out with the older Cuban generation but families hold grudges for a long time.  We have KFC's in Viet Nam, but don't have a good relationship with an island you can sail to from the USA in a day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Was hoping this whole "Bay of Pigs" thing would have died out with the older Cuban generation but families hold grudges for a long time.  We have KFC's in Viet Nam, but don't have a good relationship with an island you can sail to from the USA in a day.

If I understand this correctly, Cubans in the Miami area largely support Trump for POTUS.  That's a head scratcher considering the message Trump sends regarding brown people. 

But maybe it's anti-American sentiment.  Trump's disdain for American intelligence, American military, American's rule of law and America's Constitution could certainly appeal to anyone holding a grudge against the US.

And maybe that would explain why anyone from Cuba would support an authoritarian leader who is pro-Putin, considering the oppressive Communist government Castro led for so many years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Has the vainglorious one finally picked up an award that celebrates a US CIA debacle?

Trump boasts about getting 'Bay of Pigs Award' – which doesn't exist

Martin Pengelly

Sun 13 Sep 2020 23.45 BSTFirst published on Sun 13 Sep 2020 22.54 BST

  •  
  •  
  •  
Shares
2,790
 
Play Video
1:10
 Trump repeats claims he received 'Bay of Pigs Award', which doesn't exist – video

Attacking Joe Biden and seeking to exploit reports that his rival is struggling with Latino voters, Donald Trump boasted on Sunday of receiving “the highly honoured Bay of Pigs Award” from Cuban Americans in the battleground state of Florida.

Perhaps inevitably, and to the glee of the internet, no such award exists.

Read more

 

The Bay of Pigs invasion, in April 1961, saw a CIA-sponsored force of Cuban exiles attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro and his communist regime. The failure of the mission continues to haunt US-Cuban relations, even after Barack Obama sought to bring the nations closer together.

Trump, whose company reportedly broke the Cuba trade embargo in 1998, has sought to reverse Obama’s policies.

In his tweet on Sunday, he may have misremembered previous visits to a house in Little Havana, in Miami, which houses a Bay of Pigs museum and library and where survivors of Brigade 2506, the unit which carried out the invasion, gather to talk and remember.

 

Trump visited in 1999, when he was flirting with a run for president on the Reform party ticket. He was given gifts, if not awards: a brigade pin and, the Associated Press reported, “a plaque of the shoulder patch worn during the invasion”.

Trump visited the museum again in October 2016, receiving “a hand-painted Brigade 2506 shield” which his campaign insistedon Sunday was the award in question. 

Receiving the endorsement of the Bay of Pigs Veterans Association, Trump said: “You were fighting for the values of freedom and liberty that unite us all. The same values that are at stake in our election.”

Donald Trump receives a brigade pin at the Bay of Pigs museum, on 15 November 1999.  Donald Trump receives a brigade pin at the Bay of Pigs museum, on 15 November 1999. Photograph: Wilfredo Lee/AP

He went on to beat Hillary Clinton in Floridaand in the race for the White House. But at the time of the endorsement from the influential rightwing veterans group, he trailed Clinton in the state by 3.3%.

The website fivethirtyeight.com now puts Biden up by 2.6% in Florida. The Democrat will be supported by $100m from the former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg. But in Florida and in other states with large Latino populations, including Nevada where the president campaigned this weekend, Trump seems to be sensing his chance.

Pouncing on reports that the Vermont democratic socialist senator Bernie Sanders has “concerns” about Biden’s campaign, Trump tweeted: “Sleepy Joe Biden has spent 47 years in politics being terrible to Hispanics. Now he is relying on Castro lover Bernie Sanders to help him out. That won’t work!”

Trump has a well-documented habit of claiming to have received awards and honours which do not exist or which he has never been given. Famously, the president has displayed a fake Time magazine cover at his golf clubs.

He has also repeatedly claimed to have been named Man of the Year in Michigan, another battleground state, though one in which he trails Biden by 7.6%.

A former Republican congressman recently told CNN Trump may have confused a dinner in 2013 at which he spoke, and was given various mementoes, with the bestowing of an official award.

And the "Bay of Pigs" Award For the most senseless conflict initiation goes to...Donald Trump

Illiterate Trump Supporters: "Shut up @Navig8tor , pay attention, this is actually about Tax cuts"

Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is incredible - everything about Trump and his supporters is just malignant fantasy.

Words just come out of his mouth and the fools lap it up like it's the word of God.

The American education system must have been broken for a long time for a phenomenon like this to have been possible.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

 

The American education system must have been broken for a long time for a phenomenon like this to have been possible.

 

The phenomenon is a direct result of the christian right's war on science, facts, history, and logic.   If we could pass an amendment removing the right to vote to anyone who believes in sky fairies and shiny white after-death resorts, America would lead the world in every way in just a decade.  

This entire episode comes from a sustained campaign of treason that began more than 20 years ago by preying on the uneducated, the gullible, and the weak - in other words, the religious.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jules said:

If I understand this correctly, Cubans in the Miami area largely support Trump for POTUS.  That's a head scratcher considering the message Trump sends regarding brown people. 

But maybe it's anti-American sentiment.  Trump's disdain for American intelligence, American military, American's rule of law and America's Constitution could certainly appeal to anyone holding a grudge against the US.

And maybe that would explain why anyone from Cuba would support an authoritarian leader who is pro-Putin, considering the oppressive Communist government Castro led for so many years. 

Cubans are very loyal Republicans.  Latinos from Cuba, like most colors of people, are not necessarily politically unified with Latino / Hispanic people from other countries, or even Puerto Rico (yeah, it is part of the USA) which is sort of close in culture from my experience growing up in a majority Latino community in Miami.  President Kennedy, a Democrat, was in office when Bay of Pigs happened.  Cubans as a block, have been Republican since then.  I had read something about the current generation coming of voting age is less so, but that doesn't seem the way things are polling right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

The phenomenon is a direct result of the christian right's war on science, facts, history, and logic.   If we could pass an amendment removing the right to vote to anyone who believes in sky fairies and shiny white after-death resorts, America would lead the world in every way in just a decade.  

This entire episode comes from a sustained campaign of treason that began more than 20 years ago by preying on the uneducated, the gullible, and the weak - in other words, the religious.

 

I don't know....faith seems overwhelming with shaping the fundamental way people think.  I know some very educated, and experienced people in fields that should know better that believe in "young earth" because that is what their preacher told them to believe.  There is something else happening that allows people to accept something fundamentally wrong, like "young earth" on faith despite their knowledge.  It is sort of scary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bridhb said:

There is something else happening that allows people to accept something fundamentally wrong, like "young earth" on faith despite their knowledge.  It is sort of scary.

There is no mystery whatsoever.  We've known for millennia the power of imprinting at an early age. 

 otherwise smart and empathetic people can be racists or sky-fairy believers, but almost always because they were indoctrinated by these anti-democratic ideas while they were still very young.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Cubans are very loyal Republicans.  Latinos from Cuba, like most colors of people, are not necessarily politically unified with Latino / Hispanic people from other countries, or even Puerto Rico (yeah, it is part of the USA) which is sort of close in culture from my experience growing up in a majority Latino community in Miami.  President Kennedy, a Democrat, was in office when Bay of Pigs happened.  Cubans as a block, have been Republican since then.  I had read something about the current generation coming of voting age is less so, but that doesn't seem the way things are polling right now.

The younger Cuban Americans need to get out and vote. Until they do, the ones wanting their family land returned (not to mention continuation of sugar subsidies...) are going to carry the day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

And the "Bay of Pigs" Award For the most senseless conflict initiation goes to...Donald Trump

Illiterate Trump Supporters: "Shut up @Navig8tor , pay attention, this is actually about Tax cuts"

Yes that’s exactly the response to be expected from an illiterate Trump supporter.

The article makes no mention of tax.

Here, have some Koolaid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:
31 minutes ago, Jules said:

Think cult

Yep and the scary thing is when Donnie loses the cultists will be drinking the Koolaid, it will be the end of their world.

SAD.

If only they would. But they will not. They'll scream ELECTION FRAUD and threaten civil war (and IMHO there is almost certain to be at least some shooting) and as the years play on they will be the same backwards-looking retards, gullible fraud-supporters, racist dick heads, that they are now. And they'll be eager to install other politicians worse than Trump.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a few lines, more on the light or satirical side.

But I don't type that fast and since I started and sent it, @Steam Flyer gave the thread a more serious turn, followed by @Navig8tor. I second both their posts and leave my little ramblings just in case someone gets a chuckle out of it. There:

Quote

So, if he is prone to misinterpret a simple logo as a medal or award of sorts, how are the chances that he will proclaim himself as King of the Americas after his next stop at KFC?

King Donald the First and Only? King Buckethead II?

 

He's easy to ridicule, but it's not funny at all. A man so completely detached from reality shouldn't have access to nukes or the military or the economical and political influence the USA stands for.

Geez, I wouldn't hand this guy the keys for the shed if he were my janitor's helping hand.

 

Edited by Grog
Reality check.
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

If only they would. But they will not. They'll scream ELECTION FRAUD and threaten civil war (and IMHO there is almost certain to be at least some shooting) and as the years play on they will be the same backwards-looking retards, gullible fraud-supporters, racist dick heads, that they are now. And they'll be eager to install other politicians worse than Trump.

- DSK

Yes, sadly I think you are right and Donnie has sowed those seeds because he knows the numbers don’t look good.

The division and hatred encouraged by Donnie are going to take years to settle down and will be perpetual, encouraged by Dumbfucks incapable of rational thinking.

Dumbfucks who when asked what the hell they are doing will scream socialism without knowing or understanding what that actually means.

Meanwhile the working class goes broke trying to pay a mortgage and health insurance.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Yes, sadly I think you are right and Donnie has sowed those seeds because he knows the numbers don’t look good.

The division and hatred encouraged by Donnie are going to take years to settle down and will be perpetual, encouraged by Dumbfucks incapable of rational thinking.

Dumbfucks who when asked what the hell they are doing will scream socialism without knowing or understanding what that actually means.

Meanwhile the working class goes broke trying to pay a mortgage and health insurance.

Thy Kook Aid cup tis running over.. Fake News... Fake Numbers... Beady Eye’d Biden is toast ! The guy is NOT even campaigning and has all the enthusiasm of a homeless bench sitter 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

Thy Kook Aid cup tis running over.. Fake News... Fake Numbers... Beady Eye’d Biden is toast ! The guy is NOT even campaigning and has all the enthusiasm of a homeless bench sitter 

Stay tuned to Faux.....think you’re in for a shock come November.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

Thy Kook Aid cup tis running over.. Fake News... Fake Numbers... Beady Eye’d Biden is toast ! The guy is NOT even campaigning and has all the enthusiasm of a homeless bench sitter 

Appreciate those first words as a prelude to the post.  Let's us know what we are in for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, benwynn said:

Appreciate those first words as a prelude to the post.  Let's us know what we are in for. 

Let’s us?

whatever that means 

Trump will have 4 more years 

and

3-4 new JOTSC  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

If only they would. But they will not. They'll scream ELECTION FRAUD and threaten civil war (and IMHO there is almost certain to be at least some shooting) and as the years play on they will be the same backwards-looking retards, gullible fraud-supporters, racist dick heads, that they are now. And they'll be eager to install other politicians worse than Trump.

- DSK

Probably.  But if no one has the 270 electoral votes and they take their complaints to court and it's still hanging out there come inauguration day,  we will see Nancy Pelosi being sworn in.  Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for Lil Donny and his band of angry men?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is.... The Cubans in Miami mostly all came from Batista Cuba. They were the Trumps, the Helmsley's and the other rich land grabbing bastards that caused Che Guevara, and Castro to overthrow the Govt. Gambling, the Mafia, and illegal skin trade were common back in the 40s-50s.... Then the Trumps, etc. were essentially evicted (or would be executed), and their property seized.

 So yes, they hold a grudge, 3 generations along, but it's an ill-conceived grudge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Thy Kook Aid cup tis running over.. Fake News... Fake Numbers... Beady Eye’d Biden is toast ! The guy is NOT even campaigning and has all the enthusiasm of a homeless bench sitter 

Likewise (to your lord and savior Trump of course)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jules said:

Probably.  But if no one has the 270 electoral votes and they take their complaints to court and it's still hanging out there come inauguration day,  we will see Nancy Pelosi being sworn in.  Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for Lil Donny and his band of angry men?

Pelosi being sworn in and ordering this would be a good day. :D

 

Trump Leaving.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

https://thehill.com/policy/international/americas/517537-trump-applied-in-2008-to-register-his-trademark-in-cuba-report 

Quote

The Trump Organization in 2008 sought to secure trademarks in Cuba despite President Trump saying about a decade earlier that he would not pursue business there unless the country made democratic reforms.

The Miami Herald reported Tuesday that the organization filed an application for a trademark in 2008 that was approved two years later. Though it never opened any locations or pursued any business on the island, the application listed business activities including "investment in real estate" and "hotel services."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...