Front Page - J/70 UK event

Ed - Outdoors there is infinite air exchange. No need to wear a mask. Please show me a peer reviewed scientific paper suggesting otherwise.

Masks are for indoor spaces where air circulation is poor/unpredictable and you have little control over who is indoors with you and their proximity to you. 

Don't be one of those goofs e.g., sitting on a beach wearing a mask.  It’s embarrassing. Nothing to do with politics and everything to do with being uninformed. 

Also, would you make the same comment if the regatta was held in an area where there is no community spread?

• Like 1

Just imagine how Ed would react if it came out that the event gone ahead even though there was, at the time it started, a suspected outbreak among the staff at the host club... 

You see in England if you are posh you are above such things as Covid. It's just for poor people 

10 hours ago, Ricky Craven said:

Ed - Outdoors there is infinite air exchange. No need to wear a mask. Please show me a peer reviewed scientific paper suggesting otherwise.

Masks are for indoor spaces where air circulation is poor/unpredictable and you have little control over who is indoors with you and their proximity to you. 

Don't be one of those goofs e.g., sitting on a beach wearing a mask.  It’s embarrassing. Nothing to do with politics and everything to do with being uninformed. 

Also, would you make the same comment if the regatta was held in an area where there is no community spread?

For the safety of others - outdoors you either mask or socially distance - take your pick.

It should be obvious, but I guess it isn't - do you really think you can distance with 4 or more people on a 23 foot boat.  All the worse at a mark rounding or if you have a loud skipper or crew.

The air exhange thing only applies if the virus can be spread through micro-droplets - which it appears as though it can although they haven't been able to prove it definitively last I read because they can't differentiate between infection from micro- droplets and droplets. 

So yeah no apparent need for masks or social distancing on a boat due micro-droplet transmission.  it is the droplet transmission you need to be concerned about - i.e. sneezing, coughing, talking, shouting.

Not sure there’s a single sport where teams are wearing masks? Cycling, football, rugby, weird North American version of football, cricket?

There’s certainly no guidance from our government suggesting there’s benefit or requirement.

They’re outside in 15 knots of breeze.

it’s all a bit weird from the Ed.

Other pressures on him?

Here is the RYA's Guidance on the matter, no mention of requiring facemasks for anyone other than those using coffee grinders. Everyone seemed to be being pretty responsible from what I saw. The wife of one of the guys in the North loft had COVID, so North pulled all their pros off boats until they'd had negative tests back.

Crews were limited to 3 or 4, so well within the UK govt's guidelines for social interactions. A crew of 4 can sit inside facing each other round a pub table, but you are saying they can't sit outside side by side in 15knts of wind? I'm not sure I understand the complaint.

image.png.266e32388e75b774ec02dc8308cb6d0c.png

image.png.3f1247f7205bb40b81c5d1e53ae60521.png

36 minutes ago, Quagers said:

Here is the RYA's Guidance on the matter, no mention of requiring facemasks for anyone other than those using coffee grinders. Everyone seemed to be being pretty responsible from what I saw. The wife of one of the guys in the North loft had COVID, so North pulled all their pros off boats until they'd had negative tests back.

Crews were limited to 3 or 4, so well within the UK govt's guidelines for social interactions. A crew of 4 can sit inside facing each other round a pub table, but you are saying they can't sit outside side by side in 15knts of wind? I'm not sure I understand the complaint.

image.png.266e32388e75b774ec02dc8308cb6d0c.png

image.png.3f1247f7205bb40b81c5d1e53ae60521.png

Looks like the UK has less rigorous requirements than other countries with regards to COVID-19.  That is 1 meter is considered distancing in the UK whereas in other countries such as Canada - it is 2 metres.

By the above, clearly the J/70 crews at the UK regatta were within the UK requirements.

1 hour ago, Quagers said:

WHO Guidance on social distancing is 1m.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

The UK has adopted 2m where possible, 1m where not.

Further helpful WHO guidance:

- In early January said the Novel Coronavirus wasn't transmissible between humans.  

-  masks aren't necessary.

So yeah, I don't pay much attention to what those clowns have to say.

22 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Well nobody I know has contracted it, nor anyone who knows anyone who has - but that's not the point.

So what’s the point?  Most of us do our part to keep it off the boat. Until proven wrong, which I have no problem with, our own little informal study seems to demonstrate the bug doesn’t transfer well in a sailing environment. We do have a fairly international pool of sailors here, and NO ONE seems to be able to name a boat wiped out by the virus. It should have happened by now. 

And no, I’m not one of anti-mask nutters. One of the boats I race on asks us to wear them and I’ve never minded complying. 

Clean is happily banning folks for posting false facts, so it’d be nice if anyone could post some actual cases of boats getting clobbered with the virus. Fair is fair.