Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We've about 30k euro, to spend on an irc cruiser racer that you could still spend a weekend on comfortably. We've narrowed it down to a j35 or a corby 29 but are struggling  to decide. J35 gives more room for cruising but is older and does not have the benefit of a road trailer. 29 is a bit more race and new but not so comfy. What would you go for or is there other boats youd recommend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

imho the answer lies within the question. you have to decide what is more important to you - the racing or the cruising. and purchase accordingly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As said above, it all depends what the priority is: C29 is a better, cheaper to run racing boat, especially great ergonomics but a shitty cruiser. The J35 is the opposite.

A J/105 will be a faster racer and shittier cruiser...

For that kind of money you'll find some First 31.7 and Sunfast 32 that can do both equally well and lots of First 325/345 with spare change

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sebyseb said:

As said above, it all depends what the priority is: C29 is a better, cheaper to run racing boat, especially great ergonomics but a shitty cruiser. The J35 is the opposite.

A J/105 will be a faster racer and shittier cruiser...

For that kind of money you'll find some First 31.7 and Sunfast 32 that can do both equally well and lots of First 325/345 with spare change

Been looking down the sunfast32 option unfortunately not many on the market at the moment 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also take a look at what the extra size of the J will cost you every month and extend that out past the intended duration of ownership.  Then balance that factor with what you want to get out of the boat.  Then go buy a caravan and a Laser.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither are really suited to cruising. They might have somewhere to sleep and make a cup of tea and they will be able to cover some mileage while cruising but they are both designed to have a sizeable crew on the rail. There’s nowhere comfortable to sit in the cockpit and you’d have to store your anchor down below. You might be better off buying a cruiser/racer like a Sunfast/31.7/Dehler 34, etc. 
There’s a HB31 for sale in Cork that might be a better bet. 
I am a fan of the J35 but it’s probably a better offshore boat than a round the cans machine. A lot depends on what boats you want to race against. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression that the Corby's are very stable boats with a big ballast share, originally made so because IRC doesn't rate stability explicitly. All boats go better upwind with more weight on the rail but I would expect the Corby to be less sensitive to that than most ?

Agree that it probably isn't the best cruiser, but not for that reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the individual's comfort requirements.  If my aim was to be in the chocolates under IRC on a budget, then Corby is by far the better bet.  Apart from anything else it has smaller sails and doesn't have a massive overlapping genoa to beat around the rig and wear out.  So you're far more likely to be able to afford to keep the sail wardrobe in decent nick in the future.  

If more comfort is required then also look at Elan 333.  Or for a different option altogether have a look at the refurbed Mumm36 that's been on yachtworld for ages.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Flaming said:

Depends on the individual's comfort requirements.  If my aim was to be in the chocolates under IRC on a budget, then Corby is by far the better bet.  Apart from anything else it has smaller sails and doesn't have a massive overlapping genoa to beat around the rig and wear out.  So you're far more likely to be able to afford to keep the sail wardrobe in decent nick in the future.  

If more comfort is required then also look at Elan 333.  Or for a different option altogether have a look at the refurbed Mumm36 that's been on yachtworld for ages.  

a Mumm 36 is a fantastically exciting boat to sail, but its a long way from a cruiser, and running costs are going to be a different level altogether

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mac One said:

a Mumm 36 is a fantastically exciting boat to sail, but its a long way from a cruiser, and running costs are going to be a different level altogether

That's why I called it a different option altogether...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Elan 31 is a great boat too. Good IRC rating and competitive round the cans with enough comfort for a couple or small family to cruise. 
There’s a Sunfast 32i for sale on Apolloduck in the UK that might suit. Not sure how the perform on IRC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a J35 and cruise it with a family of 5 up to a couple of weeks at a time. It is a lot more like van camping then a "nice" cruiser. And it still sails very well even without weight on the rail. I really enjoy racing but it is an older boat so it is not as sexy as a planing sport boat on the course. 

One thing to think about is operating costs. Sails for a J35 are not cheap due to the overlapping genny and good size spin. The Corby will save you moneys in the rag department. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Corby 29 all the way, sailing a Corby upwind gives you a smile few other boats can.... Perfect with only jibs, no genoas, no running backstays etc. You will forget about the lack of super comfort for cruising when you have done your first regatta in it. I mean you can still go on weekends in it and look at the silverware from the races at the same time..

We went from a Farr 30 to Corby 33 this year and it has never been more fun sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A well sorted Sun Fast 32 is a bandit under IRC, better than the 32i version which has a tubbier hull, and not bad for your weekend cruising either. I  won the Yachting Mionthly Triangle Race and the Hamble Winter Series in one many moons ago, and last year I briefly had one whilst waiting for my new boat to arrive. A lovely Andrieu design that goes up hill very nicely, and is fun to sail. It just so happens I know iof a nice one which is not yet being advertised but will be coming on the market in the UK very shortly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fastrak said:

A well sorted Sun Fast 32 is a bandit under IRC, better than the 32i version which has a tubbier hull, and not bad for your weekend cruising either. I  won the Yachting Mionthly Triangle Race and the Hamble Winter Series in one many moons ago, and last year I briefly had one whilst waiting for my new boat to arrive. A lovely Andrieu design that goes up hill very nicely, and is fun to sail. It just so happens I know iof a nice one which is not yet being advertised but will be coming on the market in the UK very shortly.

Please keep me posted when she does become available would love to take a look at her

Link to post
Share on other sites

The French seem to be good at combining race and cruise capabilities. I sailed on some Beneteaus that were a blast to race and provided a super comfortable place to sleep when we did some overnight races. Added bonus: the wine storage is ample. 

Yes, that was not your question. I would go for the J, but I think in Europe you will have better options than the J

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...