Brisket rub - what to choose?

Now... ordinarily I’d use my own rub (paprika, herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper) when I’m cooking a brisket. 8 hours at 220 Fahrenheit and it’s a beautiful thing.

BUT... I also have a large tub of Old Bay on hand.

If I just used that instead, is it going to be ok or should the rest of the village stone me to death?

It goes on the BBQ 24 hours from now, so..... begin.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Have you asked Teakys missus?

We’re not on speaking terms. Not since I mocked her husband for preferring his meat cut off the bone.

Anyone who does that to a crumbed lamb chop has no place in my life.

I’m good with Old bay on a lot of things but would not have thought of using it on brisket. Kosher salt, coarse pepper, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika is usually what I normally use. Smear of yellow mustard first to let the rest adhere. 

If you go with the Old Bay, need a report. 

I've never found a good use for Old Bay.

I've also found that brisket is difficult to smoke w/out drying it out and turning it into tire tread. Lots of steam in the smoke is the only real advice I can give.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I've never found a good use for Old Bay.

I've also found that brisket is difficult to smoke w/out drying it out and turning it into tire tread. Lots of steam in the smoke is the only real advice I can give.

I used some in some killer fried salmon cakes I made a couple years ago because I had a bunch of leftover grilled salmon on hand. Only time in all my years of cooking that I used it.

I’ve ended up using 50% of my homemade rub, 50% Old Bay and a whack of Bull’s-Eye BBQ sauce to bind it together and add some sweetness.

So it’s now more of a marinade than a rub, but I think it’ll still do good things.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i would consider  Franklin,  the God of bbq in texas..    this guy knows his stuff, people line up around blocks to get in line to buy his product..   

He’s the man. No doubt.

Assuming a p.o.c. like me is ever let back into the states under DJ Trump (yeah yeah, I’m taking it to PA) it’s on my bucket list. My wife lived in Sugarland before we met, and at some point... I’m going to Texas.

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Didn't trim it much, eh?

I’ll be honest, I don’t trim it at all.

Mostly because I think the person who cut the cow up knows a lot more than I do, and I’ll only f*ck up a gorgeous bit of meat if I start hacking at it.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t trim it at all.

Mostly because I think the person who cut the cow up knows a lot more than I do, and I’ll only f*ck up a gorgeous bit of meat if I start hacking at it.

you didn't watch the video in post 19 did you ?   ... 

6 hours at 150 degrees, and we’re done.

I could have gone lower and slower, but starting at 6am saw me serving up just as our mates arrived.

The Old Bay was an interesting call. The celery salt was what came through most heavily, but the garlic and BBQ sauce helped to moderate that. Next time, we’ll try straight salt and pepper.

E33AB00A-C63D-44F8-B537-32DCB6288B7F.jpeg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

I could have gone lower and slower, but starting at 6am saw me serving up just as our mates arrived.

The Old Bay was an interesting call. The celery salt was what came through most heavily, but the garlic and BBQ sauce helped to moderate that. Next time, we’ll try straight salt and pepper.

My mouth is watering.

I like to use Santa Maria seasoning. You can find a make your own recipe or both of these are good. I've been using the Scot's brand lately and it is a good mix of spices.

https://shop.scottsfoodproducts.com/Santa-Maria-Seasoning-SantaMaria7.htm

https://susieqbrand.com/santa-maria-seasonings/santa-maria-seasoning/

The wife and I split a Ribeye and each had a lobster tail last night, baked potato, corn and salad. Boy was that good. Oh apple pie with a Carmel walnut topping.

• Like 2

Off the topic, I know, but I'm from Texas and like to think I know meat and stuff. Some years ago we were in SW harbor and met some Canadians who had sailed down specifically to have NY strip steaks at the restaurant next door to the Hinckley yard. Said we must try it. They rubbed it with cocoa powder and other stuff, but what really stood out was the crusted cocoa on the seared steak. Truly fantastic. 

Sadly the place changed hands the next season, and I'm sure has changed several times since.

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Off the topic, I know, but I'm from Texas and like to think I know meat and stuff. Some years ago we were in SW harbor and met some Canadians who had sailed down specifically to have NY strip steaks at the restaurant next door to the Hinckley yard. Said we must try it. They rubbed it with cocoa powder and other stuff, but what really stood out was the crusted cocoa on the seared steak. Truly fantastic. 

Ime am gonna try thisse oune;

Cocoa Rub

·        ¼ cup sea salt

·        2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder

·        1 tablespoon white sugar

·        2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

·        3 tablespoons garlic powder

·        1 tablespoon onion powder

·        3 tablespoons ground cumin

·        2 tablespoons chili powder

·        2 tablespoons ground black pepper

Directions:

Stir the salt, cocoa powder, white sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper in a small bowl until combined. Store in an airtight container.

To use, rub 2 to 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture onto a serving of meat, and let stand at least 10 minutes before cooking.

:)

• Like 1

One of the other awesome Texas Barbecue institutions is the Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. I don't cook much brisket (Got a place a block away that does a far better job than I ever could!) but use their rub on lots of stuff. If you ever have the chance to eat their brisket in person it will make you a lifetime fan!  Available from Amazon if you aren't fortunate enough to have an HEB in your neighborhood.

image.png.690e5a0f6421cc0f76a26a0f392d0860.png

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Cocoa Rub

·        ¼ cup sea salt

Directions:

Stir the salt, cocoa powder, white sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper in a small bowl until combined. Store in an airtight container.

To use, rub 2 to 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture onto a serving of meat, and let stand at least 10 minutes before cooking.

Wow! That sounds right. Thanks!!!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Do we get to see what the inside looked like?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Wow! That sounds right. Thanks!!!

I will bet it makes a great sear in a cast iron skillet! Gonna have to give that a try.

• Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 2:39 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Cocoa Rub

·        ¼ cup sea salt

Directions:

On 9/21/2020 at 5:31 PM, On The Hard said:

I will bet it makes a great sear in a cast iron skillet! Gonna have to give that a try.

Our new favorite way to cook New York strips.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Supermarkets, these days, cut the steaks too thin, and trim off too much of the fat.

Grass fed beef tastes like ass. Give me good old fatty marbled grain finished beef. Steaks cut 1 1/2" thick with at least a 1/4" of fat around it.

Update: Tried the rub on some fillets for the family on Sunday. To me, a little too cumin forward, and I love cumin. I couldn't discern the cocoa at all.  It did produce a nice crust on the meat. I will try again with 1 more tbsp of cocoa and 1 less of cumin and let you know.....when I get around to it..

(I cooked it on the green egg, not cast iron. It might be better on cast iron.)

Edited by On The Hard
  • Like 1