Dylan's New Boat Anarchy

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

decided to make a night of it   left grimsby fish dock at first light friday port side light went west - but I had a set of temporary ones on board motorsailed all day then tw

I used to sail one of these   then in mid life one of these   now...... a telephone box on small tug    

The British magazine Yachting Monthly has just published a list of 25 Cruising Heroes for the 21st century: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/cruising-life/25-cruising-heroes-for-the-21st-century-75824 

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

<Snip>

Do not buy a boat from me

D

Rotfl!!!  Too funny!

2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I offer the above as a service to those who follow in my wake

The epoxy was fine

The Wood filler

Catalyst  was a bit fierce

D

Are you going to sand it down or just colour it in and say it's a topo chart?

• Like 1

I offer the above as a service to those who follow in my wake

The epoxy was fine

The Wood filler

Catalyst  was a bit fierce

D

I cannot believe that the manufacturer used that rubbish chipboard anywhere on a boat. What were they thinking?

Yeah OK - it'd last long enough to sell and was cheaper than decent ply. Still.

Anyway, shitty temporary original material, bog it up & call it done for now. Good enough.

FKT

16 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I cannot believe that the manufacturer used that rubbish chipboard anywhere on a boat. What were they thinking?

Anyway, shitty temporary original material, bog it up & call it done for now. Good enough.

FKT

I agree

However it lasted 47 years and only got wet when the boat was parked bow down and stern to the prevailing wet wind

So I will give the dead men who did this a free pass on that one

D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dylan winter said:

I agree

However it lasted 47 years and only got wet when the boat was parked bow down and stern to the prevailing wet wind

D

That time frame is suspiciously when certain things went to shit and quality took a second place.

A friend of mine and myself both own small toolroom horizontal boring mills made in the UK. These are some of the finest machines of their type ever made, anywhere. Mine is about 5 years, maybe 10 older than his. Both came out of tech colleges where they were cared for. Both are in superb mechanical condition and unworn, dead nuts accurate.

Mine is a Kearns. His is a Kearns-Richards after the merger/takeover of Kearns. While the accuracy is the same, his newer model has much worse finish and some form of cheap bog over the castings, with an average quality 2 tone paint job. The bog is cracking and falling off.

The finish on mine looks like porcelain in comparison.

It had to be a cost saving exercise.

FKT

20 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That time frame is suspiciously when certain things went to shit and quality took a second place.

A friend of mine and myself both own small toolroom horizontal boring mills made in the UK. These are some of the finest machines of their type ever made, anywhere. Mine is about 5 years, maybe 10 older than his. Both came out of tech colleges where they were cared for. Both are in superb mechanical condition and unworn, dead nuts accurate.

Mine is a Kearns. His is a Kearns-Richards after the merger/takeover of Kearns. While the accuracy is the same, his newer model has much worse finish and some form of cheap bog over the castings, with an average quality 2 tone paint job. The bog is cracking and falling off.

The finish on mine looks like porcelain in comparison.

It had to be a cost saving exercise.

FKT

There comes a point where an engineer (or an artist) will put you out of business.

Don't get me wrong,  I care about engineering enough to buy a Subaru because they actually managed to get a flat-4 diesel past the accountants, but if you end up making tools that people can't buy you won't do it for long...

Most of the time things should be good enough and they should be maintainable. Art is a luxury...

Cheers, 

W.

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:
1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I agree

Inexcusable on a boat as expensive as a Fisher.

3 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

There comes a point where an engineer (or an artist) will put you out of business.

Don't get me wrong,  I care about engineering enough to buy a Subaru because they actually managed to get a flat-4 diesel past the accountants, but if you end up making tools that people can't buy you won't do it for long...

Most of the time things should be good enough and they should be maintainable. Art is a luxury...

Cheers, 

W.

True, and there comes a time where marketing cost-cutting will also put you out of business. Note that these machines were designed & started production in the 1950's, it wasn't a new design machine. Mine is a toolroom version fitted with graduated glass absolute positioning scales, with a serial number in the 4XXX range. My friend's machine has a considerably higher serial number, is essentially the same machine but with a noticeably cheaper finish & lesser quality work on the castings. No absolute positioning scales.

Kearns-Richards is dead. The UK machine tool builders are defunct, with few exceptions. Most of the US machine tool manufacturers are defunct. A lot of equipment was rendered obsolete by the advent of CNC and a lot more by the manufacturers' refusal to innovate in the face of better machines from Japan & Korea. Some European manufacturers survive, I own a milling machine from one and a lathe from another.

Why is a topic for another time & place.

FKT

The Subaru diesel was a terrible engine - and I love Subarus. 

In a past life I had a big milling operations. We made compressor from 5hp piston to 6,000KW centrifugal units and screw in the middle. We also made high pressure PE blowers and specialty scroll and vane.  Most of the machines tools were Japanese or German with some odd Holroyd units.  All the close tolerance work was on the German stuff.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Whoosh!

Cheers, 

W.

Sure, anyone who thinks that taking a split block alu block with limited stroke to make it a turbo diesel - what could possibly go wrong? - and then let’s marketing blame emissions for its discontinuation....

Just now, Elegua said:

Sure, anyone who thinks that taking a split block alu block with limited stroke to make it a turbo diesel and then let’s marketing blame emissions for its discontinuation....

Still missing the point.

Flat engine = low CoG = better handling. The Forester actually handles like a proper car. No-one else built a boxer diesel because you need two heads but the engineers at Subaru actually got it past the accountants and out to market. Maybe you would like to point me towards a better option?

You can diss the engine itself if you want, I'm not going to argue,  but (1) as above, that's not the point and (2) my current boxer diesel is outlasting the turbo petrol in my last Subaru (a Legacy), and doing way better than the crappy VW (Sharan) we had in between.

Cheers,

W.

12 minutes ago, WGWarburton said:

Still missing the point.

Flat engine = low CoG = better handling. The Forester actually handles like a proper car. No-one else built a boxer diesel because you need two heads but the engineers at Subaru actually got it past the accountants and out to market. Maybe you would like to point me towards a better option?

You can diss the engine itself if you want, I'm not going to argue,  but (1) as above, that's not the point and (2) my current boxer diesel is outlasting the turbo petrol in my last Subaru (a Legacy), and doing way better than the crappy VW (Sharan) we had in between.

Cheers,

W.

Yeah, I'd say I'm passingly familiar with Subaru. 

I've owned a total of four Subarus and I've done at lot of work on the most recent two.  The great thing about Subaru is because they are a smaller mfg they tend to re-use parts across the car lines.  In my Legacy wagon, (known as the Liberty in Oz), I got a bit over 400hp/350 torques by adding STi parts, building a forged engine, MW50 injection system, bigger turbo, better cooling and re-programming the ECU/TCU.  I also made modification to the braking and suspension system. These days I have a more modestly modified STi with about 320hp/320 torques at the wheel.  I sold the Legacy when I left Asia, but I know the current owner and the car is still running fine after well over 100k km of pure abuse. I have about 50k km on my STi so far under similar conditions.  So I know the engine architecture and parts used reasonably well. 

The lower CG is a bit of marketing fuzz since the engine sits on top of the center diff and far forward of the front drive shafts. That's the trade-off, but is it better than most SUVs? Absolutely. 

Subaru got the diesel past the accountants because someone senior made them do something silly. I haven't owned the diesel myself, but people who's opinion I respect tell me that the EE engines are sensitive to quality of fuel and DPF systems are finicky. Some of the early ones threw cranks and ate glow-plugs. YMMV. 

I love Subaru, but they, like most firms, are far from perfect. Just ask an early FA engine owner. First Subaru made the engine tune too aggressive to get the marketing numbers and hit the EPA targets and then neutered it to stop the flood of warranty costs when they broke pistons due to lean knock.

No way will you get me to argue a VW is better. 

• Like 1

I'm still driving a Subaru Liberty 4wd sedan that was built in 1991. It'll have its 30th birthday soon.

Mechanically the gear select linkage is quite vague but once in gear it stays in gear. The sun visors have been dead for a long time and now the cloth on the roof lining is descending.

But it still runs fine, handles well and suits my simple needs. 304,000 kms.

I'd do some maintenance on it but there are other projects higher in the queue. Like my 1954 IH TD9 Drott tracked loader.

FKT

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'm still driving a Subaru Liberty 4wd sedan that was built in 1991. It'll have its 30th birthday soon.

Mechanically the gear select linkage is quite vague but once in gear it stays in gear. The sun visors have been dead for a long time and now the cloth on the roof lining is descending.

But it still runs fine, handles well and suits my simple needs. 304,000 kms.

I'd do some maintenance on it but there are other projects higher in the queue. Like my 1954 IH TD9 Drott tracked loader.

FKT

Just a guess, but it sounds like you're in one of those wonderful parts of the globe where they don't spread tons and tons of salt on the roads every winter.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

Just a guess, but it sounds like you're in one of those wonderful parts of the globe where they don't spread tons and tons of salt on the roads every winter.

I'm at the other end of the country, and a couple of years ago I sold my 1991 Toyota Celica, with 300K on the clock. It oozed fluids but apart from that everything still worked well. It was a great car for 20 years. No salt added here. 

I got my GL wagon to last about 250k miles. It was the first car I owned myself.  What killed it was extensive rust. I was able to fix it when then hood latch pulled out of the body on the interstate and other body parts departed the car. I was able to fix the brake caliper that just fell off, but when the fuel tank began to leak onto the exhaust and all the brake lines began to weep, it was just too much....

My last car was a Dodge Caravan that required two replacement transmissions and one replacement engine to get to 275k miles when rust from the salted roads here literally eroded not only the door panels, rear hatch, all wheel wells, but the fuel and brake lines. Got seriously dangerous so scrapped it. Now have a 2010 Toyota Sienna and no rust anywhere, original engine and transmission at 261k miles. Much nicer. BUT replacing the stupid thin cable that operates the sliding side doors cost $1.3k, yikes. 

With a new car you spend the money on depreciation, with an old one you give the money to your mechanic.  At least with the latter you see where the cash has gone.  Says the man with a 25 year old Landrover Discovery 1 and a 10 year old Alfa Romeo Mito.

19 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

...  Says the man with ... a 10 year old Alfa Romeo Mito.

"..you'll never have to prove your courage in any other way" (General Corman)

Cheers,

W.

According to the land rover magazines, a 250K engine will still show the honing marks in the cylinders,  only changed mine because the later engine, used half the fuel and gave almost twice the power.. It's around 250K mark in the 37 year old  Landrover 110. That's the tow vehicle. SWMBO's car, a KIA, is now 12 years old, we'll run it until I retire in a couple of years then replace it with new, It's around 130K miles at the moment, so that will take it to about 160K miles..

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The British magazine Yachting Monthly has just published a list of 25 Cruising Heroes for the 21st centuryhttps://www.yachtingmonthly.com/cruising-life/25-cruising-heroes-for-the-21st-century-75824 

The list rightly includes @dylan winter, celebrating "his beautifully shot Keep Turning Left videos".

Indeed, but hard to believe Webb Chiles does not make that list.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

There's case for arguing that Webb Chiles belongs near the top of the 20th century list, not the 21st: his breakthrough adventure was the Drascombe trip in the 1970s.

Personally, I'd say that his Moore 24 trip was so extraordinary that he also deserves a place in the 21st century list.  But then his profile is  not as high in Brexit Island as it is in the USA, so Yachting Monthly might just have overlooked him.

• Like 1
On 2/20/2021 at 2:41 AM, TheDragon said:

On 2/20/2021 at 3:22 AM, TwoLegged said:

There's case for arguing that Webb Chiles belongs near the top of the 20th century list, not the 21st: his breakthrough adventure was the Drascombe trip in the 1970s.

Personally, I'd say that his Moore 24 trip was so extraordinary that he also deserves a place in the 21st century list.  But then his profile is  not as high in Brexit Island as it is in the USA, so Yachting Monthly might just have overlooked him.

Agree 100% with you both there.

But perhaps Webb Chiles' style is a bit too hardcore for many. His lack of emphasis on any type of comfort might put many off...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

His lack of emphasis on any type of comfort might put many off...

More a total emphasis on discomfort. :D

• Like 5
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

More a total emphasis on discomfort. :D

In one video, he's laying on the leeward settee with four inches of cold water sloshing around his sleeping bag and stuff flying around the cabin.  They ought to show that to detox everyone who gets seduced by the serene tropical bikini films.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Just now, dylan winter said:

Treadmaster

Bastard to shift

hot air gun is the weapon of choice.... so I tried a frying pan

I tried to watch this and it tells me it "premiers" on April 16. I certainly hope that wasn't intentional. I absolutely hate YT's "premier" function.

Treadmaster

Bastard to shift

I hate to critique the master but why not shove an egg-banjo in - first, heat, then place on the Treadmaster.

All that scraping works up an appetite.

The algorithm will collect views from the foodie group(plus your heat may last longer). 

2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I hate to critique the master but why not shove an egg-banjo in - first, heat, then place on the Treadmaster.

All that scraping works up an appetite.

The algorithm will collect views from the foodie group(plus your heat may last longer). 

Use the scraper as a spatula. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Treadmaster

Bastard to shift

Why not use the actual weapon of choice?

13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Treadmaster

Bastard to shift

For one moment, I read “Treadmaster” as a stationary device for walking as exercise, and an image popped into my head of @dylan winter in spandex and headband, on his Fisher 25, striding and sweating, with tunes thumping in the background.

In my defence, the day’s first coffee wasn’t yet complete.

Want some eye bleach???

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, chester said:

image.png.99fb067b99d54ee3df271689ad85cf98.png

With a (claimed!) run-time of 20 minutes or so?

Colour me sceptical. Happy to be corrected if that's unwarranted, though :-)

Cheers,

W.

Just now, WGWarburton said:

Colour me sceptical. Happy to be corrected if that's unwarranted, though :-)

Cheers,

W.

whats the run time on a pan of hot water?

11 hours ago, dylan winter said:
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Why not use the actual weapon of choice?

Extension lead will not reach the mooring

That's why God invented portable generators

48 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Dylan in spandex?

Eye bleach isn't up to the job.  I need an exorcist

well...that was rude.  If a man can't wear spandex for fear of judgement...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chester said:

well...that was rude.  If a man can't wear spandex for fear of judgement...

Yeah, now we discover that Legs is a Spandexicist???

Disappointed, I tells ya.

Let Dylan be Dylan, I say. We’ll love him irregardless.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Yeah, now we discover that Legs is a Spandexicist???

Disappointed, I tells ya.

Let Dylan be Dylan, I say. We’ll love him irregardless.

irregardless?...troll.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Sure - with a hot air temp of 20C, no problems man.

Now if you want 100C - maybe a bit less...

FKT

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:17 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Sure - with a hot air temp of 20C, no problems man.

Now if you want 100C - maybe a bit less...

FKT

Ok Dylan,last heard of you were taking to your boat with a hot air gun, havent heard anything more from you so wondered did it work ok, and did you manage to stop short of   setting it on fire ?